t 176 4 speed
Dana 300
4" suspension lift
"upgrade".team rush ignition
Weber 32/36 carb
Holley fuel regulator
new besttop top
nutter bypass
hey guy i got a question i got a 85 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and all the emissions has removed by the po, and i notice today the egr vale has been sealed perament and wanted to know is this ok or should i replace it and if so whrere does the vacum line hook to.

It is best to have your EGR hooked up properly.

It is not just for emissions. It allows your engine to run more spark advance at low to mid RPMs without knocking. That gives you more HP and TQ.

Look for a vacuum diagram for your particular vehicle to see what all is needed for the system to function as intended.

believe it or not, the addition of carbon monoxide to the combustion air will make the engine run better and cleaner.:cool:

If the EGR is so needed why did they can it with the intro of fuel injection?
My AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l has the EGR disabled at this point cuse it ran like :dung: with it and runs better without.

I'm one of the guys on the other side of the tracks. I killed mine before the engine went in, along with every other piece of that junk. That entire emiss system in those years never worked for :dung: and caused more problems than they ever solved. I also made and installed a block off plate on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Runs like a champ!:cool:

For weeks I have tried to figure out the spaghetti the PO made of the vacuum system...and I am still trying to find the right combination that will make my engine run right. So, whether the EGR helps or not depends upon what else is connected (and how it's connected) to your engine.

You know how the engine runs without the EGR valve. Why not hook it up and see how you like it? If it doesn't run better, just disconnect it again. ;)

In 86 Jeep made spaghetti out of the vacum system, don't just blame the PO even if they made it worse? can that be possible?
The EGR is not gona make a bad running engine run good when hooked up so you need to look elsewere for your trouble.

Thats true.
The egr by itself won't work its magic without many of the other systems working properly.
If your rig runs better without the EGR hooked up, that is a sign that something else is not working or adjusted properly.
But , if you are happy with it and you don't have to pass emissions, no sense in messing with it.

BTW, the EGR did not disappear with fuel injection. It is alive and well on just about every vehicle made today, diesels included.
They just look different now

The EGR is not gona make a bad running engine run good when hooked up so you need to look elsewere for your trouble.

Unless your engine pings under load and you fail emissions with high NOx:)

(Having to pass emissions sux but its a factor for me)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom