Emmisoins questions

Emmisoins questions

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Anyone have a easy to read pic. or diagram of all the emmisions :dung: under the hood that I can get rid of? Ive never seen as much :dung: as my Scrambler has. Nobody ever took anything off. I dont wanna just start tearing stuff out since Im using it as a daily driver. Easy to read would be very helpful , I am not smarter than a 5th grader. :laugh:

will it be necessarily to pass an emissions test??
In Texas it is only required if it is less than 25 years old.
You still have an air pump and cat converter??
V8 or l6??:popcorn:

I wont need it to pass emmisions. The cat is already gone. I'll either fall into the under 5000 mi. a year category or I'll get classic tags. Its the I-6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

I'm working on a diagram for you Pete, I have a couple of questions for you;

How much are you planning on stripping? Down to bare bones? Keeping the EGR or dumping it, are you pulling the pulse air tubes and air pump system?

I have a schematic for a MC2100 conversion, but all of the hoses are the same. Basically bare bones vaccuum lines.

Id like to get rid of as much as I can. Im gonna be using a Weber , but if it urks me Im gonna go with the old reliable Mc2100. School me on what the egr and cto are there for. And thanx for helping me out with this.:notworthy:
I'm working on a diagram for you Pete, I have a couple of questions for you;

How much are you planning on stripping? Down to bare bones? Keeping the EGR or dumping it, are you pulling the pulse air tubes and air pump system?

I have a schematic for a MC2100 conversion, but all of the hoses are the same. Basically bare bones vaccuum lines.

They're only there because that's the first good diagram I could find. My CTO is still attached to the block, and the EGR is still attached to the exhaust manifold, but neither of them are actually connected to anything emmissions related.

The CTO is the coolant temperature overide switch. The main use is for the CTO is to open and close the little diaphram in the stock air cleaner assembly, to switch from warmed air off of the exhaust manifold or cool air in from behind the grill. With the Carter YF it also switched from ported vaccuum to manifold vaccuum to adjust cold idle.

The EGR, well it's the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It does exactly what it's called, recirculates exhuast gas back into the combustion chamber to burn off the exesss hydrocarbons in the exhaust gas (theoretically).

None of this "stuff" is needed on your engine. It will probably run better, possibly even more efficiantly without all of this stuff.

No worries Pete :chug:

Alright Pete, I sat down and drew this in paint. This, to the best of my paint ability, is how my vaccuum lines are ran. The only thing that I couldn't draw was were the PCV valve gets its vaccuum from.

I have power brakes, and were the power brakes draw their vaccuum from the a nut on the exhaust manifold. On that nut their are several extra nipples, I just tapped into there. That vaccuum source is split into a T and supplies vaccuum to both the choke pull-off valve on the carb and the PCV valve.

1272d1255998811-emmisoins-questions-my-set-up.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, when you do this, go to the parts store and buy a package, or two, of vaccuum port caps. Anything that even possibly looks like a vaccuum port, cap it. Just to be safe.

great drawing Elwood!!
I differ in opinion on EGR valves. when they work then can make things run much smoother and well as more efficient and cleaner, It seems that carbon monoxide causes the air fuel to burn slower kind of like increasing the octane of the fuel. I think most EGR's are so clogged up that they haven't worked for decades but getting it right can be worth the effort. However if your going to run a header you can use it to cover the EGR hole.
The after market EGR's , which is all you can get, have exchangeable orfice washers with every hole size to fit every vehicle that has an EGR. I got the wrong one in and had the exhaust manifold glowing a lovely cherry red. It was somthing to see!!:eek:
Believe it or not the emisions system on my CJ works and will in fact blow cleaner exhaust than many two or three year old cars. and I can't wait to take it all off :D

Thanx Elwood , that is exactly what I was looking for. Nice and simple and easy to understand. Thanx a bunch for taking the time. :rock:
BTW, when you do this, go to the parts store and buy a package, or two, of vaccuum port caps. Anything that even possibly looks like a vaccuum port, cap it. Just to be safe.

Well Ellwood. Thak you for the info on removing Emissions equip. I just bought an '82 CJ8 scrambler with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l -six. My first reaction lookingunder the hood was....blah! all those darn tubes runnig everywhere. I don't need it to conform to an inspection program so I want to clean it up too. I like the simplicityof the old school. Can/should the cat converter be removed when you remove the emissions stuff? Can the canisterbe removed also?

Well Ellwood. Thak you for the info on removing Emissions equip. I just bought an '82 CJ8 scrambler with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l -six. My first reaction lookingunder the hood was....blah! all those darn tubes runnig everywhere. I don't need it to conform to an inspection program so I want to clean it up too. I like the simplicityof the old school. Can/should the cat converter be removed when you remove the emissions stuff? Can the canisterbe removed also?

If you have no compliance issues, you can really clean up the engine compartment.:D The Catalytic converter won't make it run any better, they can plug up & I've seen them cause fires.:eek:

Welcome to the site Alaska CJ8 :chug:

Hey man no problem. That's what this site is all about, sharing and learning. As for your cat, LongHorn hit it on the head. If you don't have to worry about emissions testing, get rid of it. An old cat is nothing but a liability. When I re-did my exhaust I got rid of mine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom