Engine cutting off

Engine cutting off

polish85

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 I-6
The other day when i was driving back home i started having issues with the jeep staying on. When i let go of the throddle and the RPM's drop down the engine cuts off!?!?!? As long as i keep my foot on the gas peddal it runs fine. Any idea what this is??? Fuel filter? fuel pump?
Thanks in advance

I would start looking for a vacuum line that came un put together.:cool:

It will be in the last place you look. I have found a hand vacuum pump to be handy when looking for broken vacuum lines. Have you ever used a flammable spray to look for vacuum leaks??:cool:

will do..do you think it most likely came undone at the carb?

Vac lines is the easiest thing to look for, then after that you were on the right track with fuel filter, and fuel pump. Sometimes when a pump goes bad it will put gas in the oil, you can look for that before replacing, or remove the line going to the carb, get a gas can, put the line in it and have someone turn the motor over while you watch to see if it is pumping, you don't have to do that of course if you have a fuel pressure gauge installed, although most people don't.

DROOOID 2

Looking for vacuum leaks with a flammable spray involves spraying gasoline or carb cleaner at the carburetor and manifold gaskets and the vacuum lines. When a leak is found the vacuum will suck the spray into the manifold and the RPM's will increase.
I have always thought it a good idea to be very careful when spraying flammable vapors on a hot engine. Don't get carried away. I have never known anybody that has their engine burst into flames but it would be a rather dubious honor to be the first.:cool:
Start with a visual, hoses like to split at the nipples when they get a few years and a bit of oil on them.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom