Engine opinions

Engine opinions

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
I have recently purchased two cj's. a 74 CJ5 and an 81 CJ7 sitting on a 76 frame. the 74 has the original AMC 304 and three speed but the thing is in several million pieces and all the wiring harness has been clipped off. the CJ7 has no motor Transmission Transfer Case or axles. what is your all's opinions on good motors that wont break the bank be simple to put in either one of them and have enough power to pull the thing. keep in mind im 17 in high school with a girlfriend so money spent is a very important factor.

take the drivetrain from the 74 and swap it into the CJ7 if its in good shape and complete you shouldn't have to spend to much on parts. driveshafts might be your biggest expense. the AMC 304 is a good motor with plenty of power. the I6 is a good motor with plenty of power for me

Are you planning on titling what ever you get running for the street? Then choose the one with a good paper trail.
If both of them are papered, then build up the CJ7 frame (Did I just say that!?! :eek:) with the V-8. You will grow to appreciate the extra room for friends and stuff. Yea, you will get lousy MPG, but the SPG (smiles per gallon) will be worth it!
If its going to be an off-road only truck, then build the CJ5 (there I redeemed myself! :D). Its smaller and easier to maneuver in tight spaces. I'd still stick with the V-8 just cause I like HP and its free.

That said.. I have a few questions.
When you say "several million pieces" what do you mean exactly? Is it within your capabilities to rebuild either one? Be honest here, and you may save a few bucks (or a lot). Would it be better to sell these and get one more complete, maybe even a runner?

Throw up some picks and we can give better opinions.
But the CJ7 with a v8 is a great option.

Frankly, I think you need some experience. Put the Renegade back together as it was, and find a 6 with drivetrain for the CJ7 . After you get the '5 together, you'll know Jeeps far better.

That AMC 304 is a good motor, well worth putting back together. How near to "not breaking the bank" is that? Put it together well, and it'll serve you for a long, long time. Hang it in the '5 and you won't have to diddle around with different driveshafts or relocate the shifter holes or anything.

honestly yes i think its well within my capabilities. and even if it isnt i only paid 300 for the 5 and 440 for the 7 so i could get most of it back out if i parted them out. when i bought them the 5 had been taken apart by the po who lost interest after he got a flat fender willy's. the 7 was taken apart and had the frmae painted them used for a few parts. i have most of the parts for them except a steering shaft and windshield and frame for the 5 and a gas tank and drivechafts for the 7. but like i said i only have one drivetrain and it was in the 5. the plan is to pay for it as i go only working on one at a time since im making minimum wage. how do i post pics up here

Sounds to me like you've made out like a BANDIT so far!

I post pics by hanging them at TinyPic.Com, then copying the address they give me for the pic and pasting it into my reply. When you reply, there's a little picture icon (third from the right in "Quick" reply). That prompts you for an address for a picture. I paste my picture's address in there and it displays my pic in my reply.

oh haha wow i totally didnt get that. yea i know it was a great price for one. just sucks when the po ''took it apart'' he cut all the wiring that was left in it and put the motor outside in the mud. and i found out it has no actual wiring harness or fuse block. i don't know how it worked before but it definitly wasn't done right. but then again for 300 you can't really ask for much can you

Sounds like a junk yard frame, body or engine as they like to use side cutters still you have the terminals to reconnect i would visit your closest scrap yard and get another complete harness or one as complete as you can find then a terminal kit and crimper but dont use aluminum terminals as they oxidate and react to copper only use brass terminals

Sta-Con is a good brand of terminals - they're tinned copper, used extensively for industrial / institutional wire terminations. They're pretty commonly available in a wide variety of terminal styles - butt, ring, spade, quick disconnect (male and female) overinsulated & not. Use red for up to #16 wire, blue for #14 to about #10, yellow for larger.

Thomas & Betts crimpers (T&Bs) are, as far as I'm concerned, the ONLY crimpers to use. They form an excellent "horseshoe" crimp.

Sta-Cons and T&Bs are both readily available at your local electrical supply.

Heat scrink tubing can be purchased at electrical supply places also never use solder on any connection it can break with the vibration and cause a short always crimp your splices you wont find any auto manufacturer using solder on any of their wiring for good reason

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom