Engine Swap

Engine Swap

Kelly

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 Cj7
258 AMC straight six
my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l six just lost compression on one cylinder,started to burn blue and is pissing oil all over my driveway, Time for a new engine! there is a 1973 AMC 304 v8 in a wagoneer for sale by me,
Jeep 304 Quadratrac 1973-1978 and i was wondering will this just bolt right in with no mods? ive done swaps before so i know how to do it, just wondering if all the bolts will line up and such

oh its a 1985 CJ7 with the bad engine

thanks for the help!

What transmision in both?
the deal with the AMC 304 is that the flywheel is specific to the engine, it is externally ballanced, so if the AMC 304 is an auto you have to find a flywheel and then have the crank, pistons, rods and crank ballances as a unit.
If your AMC 304 has the flywheel you are looking for its not a big deal.:cool:

GM Turbo 400 is automatic.
though call, to get balanced the crank assy has to be pulled and spun on a balancer. I think the balance costs between 3 and 4 hundred and , of course rings and bearings maybe a cam? How many miles? I think a flywheel can be bought for about $400.
I own a AMC 304 on an engine stand with no flywheel and about 40K miles on it, I feel your pain.:cool:

you may be better off doing a rebuild on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .
Call Plano machine on 14th street and get a price on a long block rebuild.
a lot depends on how big the #1 hole is, thats the one that goes first.
they can only boar 90 thou. I believe. thats as big a piston as they make.
Good luck.:cool:

its a 5 speed in there now, not sure what kind it is, but the AMC 304 has a GM Turbo 400 , not sure if thats an auto either

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom