Fuel delivery problem

Fuel delivery problem

parkerinc

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ-5 4.2 Liter 4 speed (project)
I have been out of the JEEP scene for a few years and just now getting back in with a 83 CJ5 straight six with the Carter BBD Carb. I am having trouble starting it. I crank it and its not getting any fuel in the carb. If I pump it a few times and still no fuel in the carb. If I pour a little gas in the carb it will start right up and then die out. I am hoping for some answers. I am not a mechanic but I know enough to be dangerous..lol but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty either. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Check your fuel pump and filter, is it supplying fuel to the carb? Could be rust in the tank or plugged fuel pick up too but I would start with seeing if your pump is working.

I put new filter in and I picked up a fuel pump too I will get that installed today I hope. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Put the new pump on, the old one looked pretty bad inside. I am still having some issues but the Jeep will start and run but I still need to mess with the carb for it to do so. I have to open and close the choke plate by hand to keep it running, do I assume the carburetor is bad?

you will need an adapter for an mc 2100, or a holley, i am not for sure about the weber, but an adapter is only about $15. tbi and mopar mpfi is fuel injection so it's way more expensive and technically involved. a weber carb should come with a throttle linkage but i am not for sure i haven't ever messed with one. an mc2100 and holley you have a couple of option for those you can make you a linkage or you can get a throttle cable from a mid to late 70's CJ5 or 7 with a v8 and completely replace you stock cable. again a cable is only about $15. there are plenty of write ups on doing a mc 2100 conversion on the web, which is probably the easiest and best bang for your buck.

I went out tonight and my JEEP started right up and ran good at a high rpm until I hit the accelerator and then it slowed stalled out? Still a carb issue you think? I am thinking of rebuilding the carb first before spending money on a new one.

I went out tonight and my JEEP started right up and ran good at a high rpm until I hit the accelerator and then it slowed stalled out? Still a carb issue you think? I am thinking of rebuilding the carb first before spending money on a new one.

Sounds to me like you are having a carb issue, especially when you also include your previous info about problems with the choke pull-off. Did you get the choke fixed?

Trying a rebuild kit is a pretty cheap way to go before you invest in a different carb. But you may not be at that point yet. It may be an adjustment issue. Have you done any adjustments?

Also, before you consider completely abandoning the BBD, there are a few folks on this forum who are experts with that carb. I would also seek out advice from them.

Thanks CheepJeep you have given me a lot of ideas. I can get my carb rebuilt for less than 100 bucks. I am going to that first I think. I am not familiar with the Nutter Bypass. I read about it but what is the ultimate purpose of it? How much does fuel injection cost?

the nutter bypass disables the engine computer so it has no control over the ignition or fuel delivery. here is a link on how to do it How to - Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com
when i still had the carter on mine it worked wonders for it. anybody that has done it will agree on how much better it runs.

you will need an adapter for an mc 2100, or a holley, i am not for sure about the weber, but an adapter is only about $15. tbi and mopar mpfi is fuel injection so it's way more expensive and technically involved. a weber carb should come with a throttle linkage but i am not for sure i haven't ever messed with one. an mc2100 and holley you have a couple of option for those you can make you a linkage or you can get a throttle cable from a mid to late 70's CJ5 or 7 with a v8 and completely replace you stock cable. again a cable is only about $15. there are plenty of write ups on doing a mc 2100 conversion on the web, which is probably the easiest and best bang for your buck.

I'd take junkyard mpfi over the mopar kit.:cool: id also junkyard the tbi to because all the kit are more challenging to tune than the Chevy ecm.

It sounds like you may be experiencing the same problem I had been dealing with a couple of weeks back. Same symptoms except after running for a little while, my CJ would die. I finally found that the P.O. had crimped the soft line at the gas tank @ 1/2 shut when he reinstalled the tank. Also, the tank vent tube was completely stopped up. After remedying both issues, I can only guess that the soft line was colapsing the rest of the way shut and the engine would die after the gas line and fuel bowl emptied. Cleaned vent hose and replaced soft line - no problems since. BTW, I do strongly recomend the nutter bypass - IMO.

I'd take junkyard mpfi over the mopar kit.:cool: id also junkyard the tbi to because all the kit are more challenging to tune than the Chevy ecm.

To each his own but for me the Mopar has made my CJ truely amasing on the trail and the street and the piece of mind knowing it's all new parts is not over rated when you are in the middle of nowhere and no junkyards or shops around for parts.

yeah but 3 gs is a little less than what i have in my whole jeep. plus i don't have it to spend, it would take me years to save up 3 grand at my current pace.

It is great that there is a less expensive option available and I applaud anyone that takes the project on. I read ThisGuyUKnow's post as implying the junkyard version as a better product than the Mopar system.
One system may be better than the other for different people depending on your needs and budget I suppose.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom