Gapping my distributor points

Gapping my distributor points

Rust Bucket

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5 304 3 speed, '12 GMC Terrain, '07 F-150
A little background. I just replaced the points on my '75 AMC 304 , but can't get the thing to start. It should be gapped correctly, about .17. I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and points all at one time. Is there something I could have shorted?

Should I be able to see the spark from the points after removing the cap and turning over the engine?

Also, are the points supposed to close completely? As of now, the gap is correct when open, but the points never fully close.

Any guidance would be appreciated. :notworthy:

Gap = .17? I think you meant .017. The gap is set at the highest point of the lobe. Gapping will get you in the neighborhood, but you should really use a dwell meter. Much more accurate.

Yes, the points should close fully. Make sure the capacitor lead is not shorted out. Use a 12V light across the points. It should go on and off when cranking.

Good luck

It is the closing part that makes things happen, the open part is what controls the not happening part.

A little background. I just replaced the points on my '75 AMC 304 , but can't get the thing to start. It should be gapped correctly, about .17. I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and points all at one time. Is there something I could have shorted?

Should I be able to see the spark from the points after removing the cap and turning over the engine?

Also, are the points supposed to close completely? As of now, the gap is correct when open, but the points never fully close.

Any guidance would be appreciated. :notworthy:

Gap = .17? I think you meant .017. The gap is set at the highest point of the lobe. Gapping will get you in the neighborhood, but you should really use a dwell meter. Much more accurate.

Yes, the points should close fully. Make sure the capacitor lead is not shorted out. Use a 12V light across the points. It should go on and off when cranking.

Good luck

You are correct. I meant .017. I will test the capacitor and go from there. Updates coming....

Ok, got it gapped properly. That was a pain in a @#$. The new points and condenser come as one piece, so you have to remove the condenser, gap it, then put the condenser back on. Oh well, done! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom