HEI upgrade for 225 odd-fire V6 on '69 CJ-5 options

HEI upgrade for 225 odd-fire V6 on '69 CJ-5 options
I have the AA kit on my 67, I like it a lot, very easy to put in and easy to adjust, plus it seems to be really low maintenance free.
I thought though they said you could not use it in a 70 or 71
hummm
I have the Holley on my 70, do not do that, it is a pain
I still am running my D27 in the 70 also, it just keeps on going and is as strong as a Dana 30 . But I have my 67 set up with a Dana 30 , it gets the hard use, the 70 is my baby. I also did a 4 disc break system on the 67, I used a ford 2 stage MC because that fir so good in area down there and the GM truck disc system, you can get the bracket for it several places and it bolts right up to a Dana 30 or Dana 44 , guess that means it would fit a D27 also.

opps

thread highjack:eek:

Mines the stock POS; needs frequent adjustment; cable system. Build quality of the cables has gone down over the years so I'm considering going hydraulic sometime in the future. AA has a kit that can be installed, a cable and chain assy that relieves much of the leg effort required to disengage the clutch. Attaches to the drivers inner frame area. I've seen it used with much success. I'm running the stock Rochester 2G; rebuild it about every 10 years or so... quite satisfied!

I can second the chain linkage from AA; I put mine in a month ago and love it. It's a SOLID piece of equipment and did improve the action a bit. My only issue is that I still have no idea where to put the overcenter spring!

Sorry for the confusion, but with all the advice I've received, it got a little overwhelming...I just have one question: if I buy the new HEI rebuild from NAPA, etc., will it be a plug and play or not (I keep hearing about upgrading the cap, rotor, etc., but I figured that will be upgraded by buying a new one)?

I'm sure about the HEI conversion, but now I just need to decide between ~$130 (+ plug wires) for the Cardone stock (probably lower output), ~$270 for the CRT 30kV that includes 8mm wires, or $305+89 for the DUI and livewires (50kV and it will look damn good since it's the same color as my engine).

I'm just not sure if the HEI upgrade will be all I need to fix the cold starts, or if I need to go high-end.

I hate to keep asking the same questions, but this is a lot of $$$ for me, and I'm trying to make sure I buy the right thing the first time.

Thanks in advance and for all the advice, as usual.

You're a lot like me with the information overload :D

What I would suggest is think it through slow and simple....

The main problem you're trying to fix is the cold start taking way too long to do correct?

The way I see it, you have 2 main choices, then you have a lot of little choices within them.

1. You can try to fix / upgrade what you have. Now I may be ignorant on this subject, as I live in Ca, and have never worked on the particular motor you have... That being said, It should not take you 5 min of cranking to start a motor, no matter the temp if everything is working correctly right? If you wanted to fix what you have, and do a small upgrade, I can vouch for the pertronix type magnetic upgrade to the stock distributor. You must research for yourself, as I have a AMC 304 V8, so obviously a different distributor, but I installed one in mine, and it worked great. Again, I am in Ca, but it started faster, and seemed to run better. However, I had a stripped screw hole that was allowing points to move out of adjustment constantly. I then decided to go a different route. (since pertronix mounts in same position as the factory points did...)
  2. You can get a new distributor. The types and options are vast, so what I do is write down on the top of the page: "HEI" then draw a line down the middle of the page. I search for an hour or so reading everything I can from Google, Jeep Sites, reviews, etc. I write the pros and cons down for everything I've read... IE for me The DUI put out a LOT more power (pro), needed new spark plugs, wires, and the cap was huge compared to the stock size (small examples, list was larger :cool:) I knew I needed new wires and plugs anyways, so no longer really a "con" Read the cap would fit, and if not the fixes to make it so... I went with DUI distributor, heavy duty MSD Spark plug wires, and MSD Streetfire ignition box... I did this for a few reasons, one being the streetfire box will provide multiple sparks while under 3k RPM. It switches to a "long" spark after 3k RPM. The DUI was all self contained, and powerful. I also needed to purchase a new set of wires and plugs already as well...
Very long, and not what you were hoping for I assume, but my basic point is almost no one here will actually tell you "Go with the HEI" or "Go with ___" because like Baja pointed out, Your Jeep, Your Money, Your Choice...

I just know how if feels to be sitting there with cash in your pocket, and wanting to order, but second guessing yourself every time you go to click the checkout button :cool:

Now, have you looked fully into "why" the Jeep is taking so long to start when cold? Is this just how it is in extreme low temp conditions? Like I said, Live in Sac, CA so what i think is cold is 40-50 degrees ;)

I would think you're getting weak spark, slow fuel delivery, improper carb choke settings??? etc...

Here's a few links: (just figured out this one was you lol ;)) Odd fire 225: HEI vs. CDI module upgrade - JeepForum.com

HEI ignition on odd fire 225 - JeepForum.com

HEI's EXPOSED

by Rich Motts

and so on...

Now for your main question, again I don't really know the answer. I received my DUI and streetfire at the same time, as well as the other needed parts. I then looked through the comprehensive directions that were included... It was not "plug and play" but was very easy.

The last link I posted "by Rich Motts" seemed to be pretty informative, granted I just skimmed it :cool:

:chug:
~ JR

infernalcolonel,

What was the outcome? I'm wanting to convert from a points distributor to a maintenance free dist. with as little money out of my pocket as possible.
I'm not afraid to mod anything!

Thanks,
Focker

What distributor do you currently have? If it's a Delco; I would also suggest considering a Pertronics conversion. It replaces the points, comes with everything needed and works great in my opinion. About a 45 minute install with no grinding of intake or intake bolt replacement required. I've been running one since 2005, and have no complaints. I'm down in Chesapeake, Va, and have a VERY usable Delco distro I could part with if you decided to go that way and need to replace a Prestolite unit.

Listen to this guy!! he knows what he is talking about.Another thing you distributer experts need to consider is the advance curve and vacuum advance setting.Those BUICK HEI's came out of passender vehicles with mostly automatics and tall gearing.They are NOT setup for a jeep.If you do use a HEI at least have it recurved and setup properly for your engine/drivetrain combo. A good rebuild and testing on distributer machine should be included with the pertronix install as well.Matters not to me which way you go ,just be intelligent about it.:) mike

I am a new Jeep owner 69cj5 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 odd fire. I just bought a distributor from Ateam performance it’s made by Southwest performance parts. This appears to be a good fit @AMC 150 $ Hei 65k for 225 odd fire engines. Read the specs it looks good. I’m new to the blog great info. The hardened gear I would never think of. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom