Help, I think my CJ siezed!

Help, I think my CJ siezed!

cookingguy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ5 with (for now) with an AMC I6. My trans is a T177 4 speed. Transfer case is a D300. AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 front
Hi. I'm new to the site but, I've been a Jeep owner (multiple times) throughout my life. So, I am now the proud owner of my baby 1983 CJ5 but, I think her engine has siezed.I have came to this decision because when I was driving home, my fan belt came off at some point and unbeknownst to me I had nice gash in my oil filter. The knowledgeable part people's computer gave me the wrong oil filter. It was too long and when I went over speed bumps it would hit the motor mount (oops) and gash. So, after the fan belt came off I opened the hood and found my fan blades are almost curved backwards. I noticed a nice little puddle of oil underneath so, I proceeded to check my oil at that point. The dipstick was dry. My battery was dead so I had my baby towed home. After I fixed EVERYTHING that was wrong with her. I went to turn her over and got a loud clunk from under the hood. After that, I tried to turn her over by hand. She wouldn't budge. I removed the spark plugs to get rid of the compression if that was a problem. It still wont crank over by hand or otherwise.
In the event that she is siezed, I have located an AMC 360 long block from a 79 J10 automatic. What would I have to do to swap the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to the 360? Can I keep the same tranny, bell housing, and Transfer Case ? Will my 2 barrel Weber carb work on the 360? Will my 2 piece axles with my 2:73 gearing ratio withstand the torque of the 360? Are the J10 front and rear ends an easy swap into my CJ? Please help. I need to get my baby up and running. She is also my daily driver and I recently lost my job so, I need her to find another job.

putting the 360 in her will not be a weekend job. find another AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l l6.:cool:

Hi. I'm new to the site but, I've been a Jeep owner (multiple times) throughout my life. So, I am now the proud owner of my baby 1983 CJ5 but, I think her engine has siezed.I have came to this decision because when I was driving home, my fan belt came off at some point and unbeknownst to me I had nice gash in my oil filter. The knowledgeable part people's computer gave me the wrong oil filter. It was too long and when I went over speed bumps it would hit the motor mount (oops) and gash. So, after the fan belt came off I opened the hood and found my fan blades are almost curved backwards. I noticed a nice little puddle of oil underneath so, I proceeded to check my oil at that point. The dipstick was dry. My battery was dead so I had my baby towed home. After I fixed EVERYTHING that was wrong with her. I went to turn her over and got a loud clunk from under the hood. After that, I tried to turn her over by hand. She wouldn't budge. I removed the spark plugs to get rid of the compression if that was a problem. It still wont crank over by hand or otherwise.
In the event that she is siezed, I have located an AMC 360 long block from a 79 J10 automatic. What would I have to do to swap the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to the 360? Can I keep the same tranny, bell housing, and Transfer Case ? Will my 2 barrel Weber carb work on the 360? Will my 2 piece axles with my 2:73 gearing ratio withstand the torque of the 360? Are the J10 front and rear ends an easy swap into my CJ? Please help. I need to get my baby up and running. She is also my daily driver and I recently lost my job so, I need her to find another job.

I am not really looking for a weekend job. I am more interested in if the combo of a 360 and the T-176 will marry together without to much hassel. I also know moter mounts will need. To be changed

Oh ya the main reason I am looking into the 360 os causei found one for a good deal

after you find a flywheel and have the crank assembly balanced to it and find motor mounts for it, it may not be such a great deal. If this is your DD your going to be riding the bus for a while.:(

It can happen, the crank assy is internally balanced so the flywheel is engine specific, makes it a bit of a problem to find one and then it has to be balanced to your crank assy. which , of course means the engine is taken apart and while in there bearings and rings are always a good idea and the next thing you know it is a pretty big job. I say go for it!! but your going to need another form of transport for a bit and a fair pile of cash.
The 360 will be easier than a SBC 350 but still not as quick and easy as replacing the l6.
IMHO.:cool:

Will my t177 tranny work with the 360 long block

Cool I am I hope going today to see the 360 and see just how complete it is flywhell carb etc. If I decide to rebuild my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l myself about how much am I looking at spending? Is there anylast ditch effort I can do to make 100% sure that its not smething else causeing my problem.

So I went today and checked out the 360 I am looking to replace my seized AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with. It is mostly complete all the pully wheels, flywheel is on the engine (very big thing). It does need manifolds and valve covers but I have a lead on those for 200 bucks shooed and they are edelbrock so those would be nice. My question is. It is set up for a 4 barrel carb does not have one right now, is there a way to convert it to take a 2 barrel? I am only asking cause I don't have money for a four barrel and I was going to take the two barrel off my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? Thanks for any feedback :)

Cooking guy, I dont want to sound like a prick, but if you cant afford a $300 carb, you are in big trouble here. The carb is the least of your worries...

Not to mention, the carb off the I6 might be a tad under sized for the 360

Is the flywheel on the 360 for an automatic as you said in the first post???

Yes the flywheel is for an automatic. Will that not work with my t177?

nope, it wont work. the flywheel is for a clutch and the ring gear is for the automatic. try and score the automatic tranny as well.

I can get the tranny its still attached to the engine but I really don't want to go to auto I like stick. Also then I have to change out the steering column. Can't I get a flywheel for an amc 360 manual from my auto parts store?

In my opinion your better off swaping out another AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or FI version. Just save that big box of cash you have burried under your kitchen table for the V8/Transmission combo you want to do right. A "quick and painless" V8 swap for the salvage yard sounds not so ...quick and painless to me. Just my 0.02 Cents. Good luck man.

Been looking all over for an Ci can't find one anywhere. Well I did find one but it had a cracked block and I always had plans. On putting a 360 in it just not this soon. My main thing is what I need to do to get it to work in my four speed stick since it is come out of a j10 auto. Oh ya and it not from a junk yard its from a up 4 months ago running 1979 j10

Might be be just as easy all said and done re-building the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I like the I6. Pretty tough unless you run it out of fluids. . . .

I be worried about the 2.73 gears. Sure they're not 3.73s?

Do some checking with Novak Convertions or Advance Adapters. I bought everything I needed from Advanced Adapters for an Amc 401 to NV 4500 to a Dana 20 . They were very helpful. Not CHEAP!!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom