Help, I think my CJ siezed!

Help, I think my CJ siezed!
I am changing the 2:73s to 4:56 I have sitting in my garage. As far as rebuilding the 256 I really have wanted a v8 for it and I think the 360 is a very good engine and has good power behind it.

I am changing the 2:73s to 4:56 I have sitting in my garage. As far as rebuilding the 256 I really have wanted a v8 for it and I think the 360 is a very good engine and has good power behind it.

IMHO it sounds like your motor mounts were shot is why your oil filter was banging into your motor mount. AMC era Jeep CJ's are known for there crappy motor mounts.
That being said the 360 AMC V8 is a great engine for a CJ, but their motor mounts suck too. I invested in M.O.R,E bombproof motor mounts & have been very happy with the purchase. You gear swap is likely to give your CJ as big a power boost as the V8 conversion. She'll be a beast now.:cool:

Not only will a Automatic Transmission flex plate not work as a fly wheel, but AMC V8's need a engine specific fly wheel a AMC 304 will not work on a 360, nor a 360 on a 401 etc.....

A lot of 80's CJ's came with 2.73 gears because of the so called "Gas Crisis".

Well the oil filter I found out after it was to late was the wrong one for my cj it was to long I guess.I don't know. Thanks for th info on the mounts. Got a flywheel for 50 bucks just needs to be turned teeth r good on it. I am also getting just found out today the Dana 44 's front and rear from the j10 im getting the engine from:) so if the r and p's are in good shape gonna hold off on the gearing till I recover from the cost of this swap can I use the my258 bellhousing on the 360? I found a motercraft carb for it but needs rebuild not big deal done a couple myself just don't know how good they are any input on it would be helpfull

Well the oil filter I found out after it was to late was the wrong one for my cj it was to long I guess.I don't know. Thanks for th info on the mounts. Got a flywheel for 50 bucks just needs to be turned teeth r good on it. I am also getting just found out today the Dana 44 's front and rear from the j10 im getting the engine from:) so if the r and p's are in good shape gonna hold off on the gearing till I recover from the cost of this swap can I use the my258 bellhousing on the 360? I found a motercraft carb for it but needs rebuild not big deal done a couple myself just don't know how good they are any input on it would be helpfull

A 258I6/ T-176 bellhousing should work fine for your 360V8.

Please let us know how smooth the 360 runs when you get all together with the unbalanced flywheel. I have a AMC 304 that will have an odd flywheel and have been wondering how badly it needs to be balanced.
I appreciate you taking the bullet on this one.:cool::chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom