Help me find the squeal???

Help me find the squeal???

schooncj7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304V8
I have a loud squeal when I first start my Jeep after a few minutes it seems to stop for the most part but while riding I can hear it occasionally. I have tightened the belts, loosened the belts and finally replaced the belts but still squeals. It sounds like it could be coming from the power steering?? :confused:

Here are my details:
AMC 304 V8 with power steering

sorry to have to ask you this but did you check the fluid?
Is this the same squeal you hear if you turn the wheel too far??
:cool:
I have a loud squeal when I first start my Jeep after a few minutes it seems to stop for the most part but while riding I can hear it occasionally. I have tightened the belts, loosened the belts and finally replaced the belts but still squeals. It sounds like it could be coming from the power steering?? :confused:

Here are my details:
AMC 304 V8 with power steering

Last edited:
Seizing bearing? A stethoscope can help, or pull belts, spin pulleys.

sorry to have to ask you this but did you check the fluid?
Is this the same squeal you hear if you turn the wheel too far??
:cool:
No question is a stupid question right? Yes I did check the fuild and it doesn't seem to make the noise by turning the wheel but with 33's I don't have a lot of turning radius anyway

I'm thinking it could be a couple of different things.
The power steering pump could be going out. Or
Sometimes the pulleys can get worn and let a belt slip, even a new one.
Try buying some spray on belt dressing, if this stops the squeeling, you might need a new pulley. The hard part would be figuring out which one.

A easy way to test the belts is simply to pour some water on them while the engine is operating. if the squeal goes away for a short time, its the belts.
Just be careful of any rotating parts in the area!

looks like we posted at the same time. priceg might be on to something
although I have never heard a Transmission pump squeal, they might.
I have made millions off of GM's torque converters oil pump bushings. They spin in the pump and squeak like a rusty hinge.

I have made millions off of GM's torque converters oil pump bushings. They spin in the pump and squeak like a rusty hinge.

Thanks, It's always good to learn something new.

It only does it when you first crank it for a few minutes and then while I'm riding down the road it will do it for just a sec usually when I have to give it some gas. It sounds like it is coming from around the pulleys or power steering pump. I can get a pump for around 50.00 so I may do that since I have already replaced the belts but first I'm going to try the belt dressing to see if the pulleys are wore out like Old Dog suggested

Did this ever get resolved?
I think you are on the right track with the belts and pulleys at the front of the engine.
I had the exact same problem - after starting my engine it would squeal for one or so minutes and then stop.
I will tell you what fixed my problem but I doubt it is the exact same issue on your jeep.
After replacing my power steering pump and all the belts my engine would squeal after it was started. My alternator was also new. I even replaced the water pump but that only helped it for a while.
In the front of the engine there is a pulley on the water pump and another directly below on the crankshaft. These two pulleys are very close together. I noticed the lower pulley was back further than the water pump pulley.
The previous owner rebuilt the engine and when it came time to put the lower pulley on the front of the engine it wouldn't fit. They must have pounded on it with a hammer or forced it somehow. From the picture below you can see it is bent. Since this pulley is so close to the water pump pulley the belts must make a bend as they go around. I had to reshape the pulley. It would be too much of a coincidence for your lower pulley to be misshaped but check out your belts and pulleys to make sure every thing is lined up.
pully__small.jpg

:bang: OK found it! It's always the simple things. The alternator that I just replaced two months ago was the cause. I finally realized it when I turned on my headlights to check the dash lights the squeal got worse. Changed it out today and everything is good.

:dbanana: Good to hear you found it.

My mind always go's to worst case, that way everything else looks easy.:)

:bang: OK found it! It's always the simple things. The alternator that I just replaced two months ago was the cause. I finally realized it when I turned on my headlights to check the dash lights the squeal got worse. Changed it out today and everything is good.

Where did you get the defective alternator from? Should we start a poll on which part houses provide the most reliable parts with the least defects??

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom