Hood Louvers

Hood Louvers

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
This is more of a summer question but I have a V8 in my CJ. The under-hood temperatures can get pretty high and sometimes I have vapor lock problems. I am wondering what it would take to get hood louvers.
Can a shop add louvers like what the old Landcruisers used to have?
1979_toyota_landcruiser_fj40_front_1.jpg

They are off to the side so rainwater wouldn't get on anything important. If louvers can't be cut into my hood I guess I could buy louvers to pop rivet on.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dave, a good hot rod bodyshop should be able to cut some in your sheetmetal. Since I have a glass frontend I went with the pop-rivit ones in my hood. Rain hasn't been a problem but I don't DD mine.
I didn't see any differance on my water temp, but you can feel heat comming out so they're doing something.

Good Ideas
Thanks Old Dog!

You could do something on the line like this they open and close , keeps water out of eng compartment and help keeping eng cool they also have small comp fans to force air in at slow speeds when off roading

scoop002.jpg
scoop001.jpg
they work great :chug:

Last edited:
They certainly are not going to hurt anything. They have been on my to-do list for a long time.

I found some on the Quadratec site for a decent price. They have metal and plastic units in powder coat and SS. I am getting them for my project as well. I like how they look and the air flow will help alot.

I had the local rod shop punch my louvers in the hood. It cost me $2.00/louver. It took forever to get done. Since this was my baby, I sprung for 40 of them. Came out awesome.
HINT!!!
If you decide to get louvers punched, DA the hood with a sander first where louvers will be punched!!! Easier to prep the hood for paint without louvers then afterwards. :chug:

Last edited:
I had the local rod shop punch my louvers in the hood. It cost me $2.00/louver. It took forever to get done. Since this was my baby, I sprung for 40 of them. Came out awesome.
HINT!!!
If you decide to get louvers punched, DA the hood with a sander first where louvers will be punched!!! Easier to prep the hood without louvers then afterwards. :chug:
Thanks for the advice cjbilly.
Can you post some pics?

Thanks for the advice cjbilly.
Can you post some pics?

I wanted the louvers to run parrell to the hood body lines. Also the louves misses the structural framework underneath hood.

2010FLJJ023-1-1-1.png

Now that it's hot I finally vented my hood. I bought these SS vents that were intended for boats (google marine vents if you are interested). I was hesitant to cut my hood. I like these because they let through a lot of air.
HoodVent9Medium.jpg

HoodVent6Medium.jpg

HoodVent2Medium.jpg

HoodVent1Medium.jpg

HoodVent0Medium.jpg
I got the idea from a link that Old Dog posted: Hood Vents? - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

I wanted the louvers to run parrell to the hood body lines. Also the louves misses the structural framework underneath hood.

2010FLJJ039-1.jpg

Didn't realize original picture was deleted. :confused:

I run "Run Cool" hood louvers on my CJ7 . They fit in between all hood supports on top and I have a set on the side of the hood. They are made of aluminum and pop rivet in with stainless pop rivets. Google Run Cool for pictures.

Looks good Dave :chug:

As a general rule why not mount the louvers so they are pointing towards the front and "scooping the breeze" like they are mounted in the HMMWV?

As a general rule why not mount the louvers so they are pointing towards the front and "scooping the breeze" like they are mounted in the HMMWV?

I think the idea is to let the rising hot air out. You should be getting plenty of air coming in through the grill. But the hot air gets kind of trapped at the hood. Maybe the cool incoming "breeze" you mention would push the hot air down and out under the body, but I don't know.

I am not a scientist or engineer. I am just going by my gut in this response, so take it for what it is. ;)

My CJ runs hottest at crawling speeds, so the idea behind my louvers is to let hot air rise out of the engine compartment as it is idling along.

At normal driving speeds, there's so much air circulating under the hood that louvers are generally pointless.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to say that I too want to install some louvors or scoop in my CJ7 . Anyone know of what type of mechanic or fabrication shop that can do it? Or is it simple to diy or purchase online? In that case, Any printable/viewable online diagrams?

Great writeup! :notworthy:

Try this thread. This is the thread I did on installing my louvers.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/louver-install-23533/

There should be enough information for you to do the job yourself.

About the direction of the louvers. While watching one of the hotrod shows the other day they addressed the issue of cooling under the hood of a race car. They installed holes or ports to reduce "air stacking" under the hood. Cool term "Air stacking". The next time this comes up I'll show my smarts by using the term.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom