How to ID a frame

How to ID a frame

thistle3585

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with '72 304 V8, MC2100carb,T150 trans, AMC20 rear diff with locker, Dana 30 front diff, Dana 20 Tr Case, Procomp Springs, Gabriel Ultra shocks.
I want to do a scratch build and found this frame for sale. They think its an 80's era frame but not sure of the model. How would I figure this out? Also, what is a reasonable price on a frame?

I believe its a 76-82 model. Im pretty sure they changed the front shock mounts to bolt on style in 83. Looks like a CJ 7 but it will be hard to tell with out measuring it. Throw a tape on it and what the wheel base is. CJ7 should be arounf 93-94" on center with CJ5 being 84. If needed I can measure my spare frame tomorrow or wednesday for you. If its in the 93.5" range I would say you have a 76-82 CJ7

Oh for what its worth I have bought a rust free outboarded CJ7 frame for $150, a rust free CJ8 frame for $100, another rust free CJ7 frame I traded a flat blank CJ dash for it, and paid $400 for a rust free yj frame.

Price for the frame depends on what your supply and demand is, or how bad you need it. Ive seen them go from free to $500. I keep my eyes open and if one comes up cheap I grab it. seems like when ever you need one you cant find em or they are rediculously priced.

Make sure if your goign to buy one you bring a screw driver and hammer with you. Check around the rear cross member fir rot.. little bit of rust is ok. If you can stick a screw driver threw it either dont buy it or show it to the owner and make him a low ball offer.

I see you are looking for a scratch build and commend your willingness to search high and low for parts. I tend to hoard jeep parts in my shop and yard until I gather enough to do some thing with. My last cj frame I picked up because I already have a 258, ax-15, waggy Dana 44's with high steer, waggy springs for the SOA, steering components and half a dozen more parts that were just collecting dust. once I finish my YJ the CJ will go into the shop and start to be assembled.

heres a CJ7 frame
IMG_4453_zps472e19b9.jpg

Thanks. He said it measures about 92" so I guess it makes it a CJ7. He is asking $350 for it which includes everything in the photo. The downside is there is no title for it. He sold the title with the tub and motor, so that complicates things a bit.

Thanks. He said it measures about 92" so I guess it makes it a CJ7. He is asking $350 for it which includes everything in the photo. The downside is there is no title for it. He sold the title with the tub and motor, so that complicates things a bit.

If the wheel base is 92 I would say its a 7 also.

More then likely those axles are narrow track, hopefully disc front but the rear is off set. again that all leans towards 82 and older. I would look at the frame very close.. poke prod and inspect any area that seems even a bit questionable. around all the spring perches, motor mounts pretty much the whole frame. hit it with a hammer in spots if they are shady looking.

I would grab it for $350 if its not rotted out only because it looks like it still has the power steering box/brackets ($50 used)
Tank and Skid plate ($100-200) used
and the axles ($150-300) used.
plus you have springs, shackles and shackle hangers with it

you need to look at stuff like that frame are a total of all the parts. If you were to find a bare frame you will need to find all those parts to get it to a roller.

as far as the no title goes.. its pretty easy to find a Cj with a rotted frame and title then to find a solid frame. With a solid frame you have more options down the road to find a Whole jeep that you can swap the frame under or look for a tub and title.. seems like a good start.

The downside is there is no title for it. He sold the title with the tub and motor, so that complicates things a bit.
If you are buying this frame to put under a Jeep you have with a title you will not need one. No one but you will ever know your Jeep doesn't have the original frame.

The vin number is stamped on the right rear arch on the top over the wheel. This can help you identify the year if it is readable. Most inspectors don't even know about this. The frame is definitely older than 82. The 70s frames were not boxed at the every rear of the frame. They got boxed in 1980. My CJ5 frame does not match the body vin and no ever asked. I replaced my damaged frame about ten years ago.

The vin number is stamped on the right rear arch on the top over the wheel. This can help you identify the year if it is readable. Most inspectors don't even know about this. The frame is definitely older than 82. The 70s frames were not boxed at the every rear of the frame. They got boxed in 1980. My CJ5 frame does not match the body vin and no ever asked. I replaced my damaged frame about ten years ago.

When I had my 1980 CJ5 down to frame to sandblast, I noticed the serial number stamped on the frame. I thought it was wierd that a number was stamped there, and checked. Guess it is all original!:eek:

And the frame is/was boxed as well. That back part had to go due to an Iron Worm infestation...:chug:

That's the number. It is not the entire vin but a good part of it.

The frame I have in the pic above is from a 79 and is completely boxed

They changed the shock towers when they went to the wider axles and that was 1982, so it's an 81 or older.

They changed the shock towers when they went to the wider axles and that was 1982, so it's an 81 or older.

I hate being one year off on my answers.

I hate being one year off on my answers.

Heck, I'm just glad when I can read/look and tell if they are talking about a CJ5 vs. CJ7!

I am SO GLAD of the wealth of knowledge and willingness to help of the members here. Joining was not a mistake on my part.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks