How to mount the " Best winch ever"

How to mount the " Best winch ever"
That would be cool but it looks like it will hit the radiator on a CJ.:cool:

i guess if i noticed the links in your post i wouldn't have asked that last question. i don't like to experiment with steering thats one of those things where tried and true works real good for me. if it was known to work good on a CJ7 that'd be great but i don't wanna be the first to test this one

here is how I am doing it, centered fairlead, I need to build the tower for the fairlead on teh bumper still but here is the first mock up
_956806.jpg

_94572.jpg

_820409.jpg

I wish mine was as pretty as yours but consider it a work in progress . this is straight on
You can see where the turn signal light is a bit of a problem, right now the lens is a chunk of 1/4 inch clear Lexan.

and here is the drivers side, plenty of room for the light.

Boy, I was thinking throughout this thread you have to position the fairlead centered but after the pics I'm not so sure. I would mock it up in diff positions and post the pics then let us vote!

You see the one that Gillmore posted in post #6??
well thats the other end of the range.
Mechanically or practically I can see no reason to center the spool. It isn't like what your pulling on is ever centered or that it will ever wind even under a load.:cool:

Boy, I was thinking throughout this thread you have to position the fairlead centered but after the pics I'm not so sure. I would mock it up in diff positions and post the pics then let us vote!

You see the one that Gillmore posted in post #6??
well thats the other end of the range.
Mechanically or practically I can see no reason to center the spool. It isn't like what your pulling on is ever centered or that it will ever wind even under a load.:cool:

Asthetically it looks better the way Gillmore did it. Like you say mechanically it won't matter so I give a thumbs up for centered winch and fairlead were it ends up.
1213090002.jpg

my passenger signal will be covered the way I do it. I can see why some want that uncovered.
I like the tower in front of the winch IO, you need to put a few light tabs on it.

oh, and to me, I just can't get past that fairlead being so far to the drivers side, Sorry, that is just me. I am kinda anal that way, I know it does not matter mechanically, and it is probably better on the front springs.

I wish mine was as pretty as yours but consider it a work in progress . this is straight on
You can see where the turn signal light is a bit of a problem, right now the lens is a chunk of 1/4 inch clear Lexan.

and here is the drivers side, plenty of room for the light.

I like your custom Texas outline.:notworthy:

Is it on yet :confused:

I should have some pics tomorrow of the fairlead tower/light bar on mine.

I sunk mine and put it slightly off center to the passenger side to clear the steering box. Opens up the radiator a bit.

DSCN0056.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

Looks great Jokenring, thanks for posting the pics

bumper is on
now all I have to do is mount lights
hook up winch and drill the clevis mounts to 3/4"
so here it is

_26958.jpg

_299464.jpg

_199883.jpg

_332144.jpg

I like it. Next time you may find it is easier to drill the clevis holes before you weld the mounts to the bumper.:cool:

I like it. Next time you may find it is easier to drill the clevis holes before you weld the mounts to the bumper.:cool:

You just want to take all the fun out of it.

I wanted to, but I had no 3/4 drill bit, got that now
those mounts are an extension of the 1/4 inch brackets to mount the bumper, I cut strait through the square tube and welded the1/4 inch through front and back, then doubled the front and cut it to shape. So you see I kinda was stuck needing to double the steel before drilling. once on I decided it was going be a chore to drill it and I would deal with it late, I can use the receiver for a recovery point till then.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom