Hydraulic Clutch??

Hydraulic Clutch??

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
According to my Chilton's manual..."all 1984 and later models have a non-adjustable hydraulic clutch". Well, less I am imagining things -- or something is very wrong -- my '86 does not have a hydraulic clutch.

I'm thinking the manual is actually referring to the 4 cyl engine and not the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Correct??

While I'm at it...My clutch pedal has excessive play. I probably have to press down about 3-4 inches (instead of 1.5) before there is any resistence from the clutch. I'm going to try adjusting the adjuster...but right now it's already about as far back/long (toward the rear of the vehicle/TO lever) as it can go. Can I take up the slack by moving the adjuster (shortening?) toward the engine? Or, am I reading it backwards and all of the slack possible has been already used up??

I hope a new clutch is not in my immediate future!

According to my Chilton's manual..."all 1984 and later models have a non-adjustable hydraulic clutch". Well, less I am imagining things -- or something is very wrong -- my '86 does not have a hydraulic clutch.

I'm thinking the manual is actually referring to the 4 cyl engine and not the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Correct??

While I'm at it...My clutch pedal has excessive play. I probably have to press down about 3-4 inches (instead of 1.5) before there is any resistence from the clutch. I'm going to try adjusting the adjuster...but right now it's already about as far back/long (toward the rear of the vehicle/TO lever) as it can go. Can I take up the slack by moving the adjuster (shortening?) toward the engine? Or, am I reading it backwards and all of the slack possible has been already used up??

My 83' came with the bellcrank & rod style , but I swapped it to the hydro setup. It's a easy swap.;)

The way I remember it, you have to made it longer.

The way I remember it, you have to made it longer.

Ugh. If that's correct, then I am probably in trouble since I think the adjuster is already as long as it can go. The adjuster is currently extended all the way back toward the rear of the vehicle...the only available threads is to move it toward the engine.

Ugh. If that's correct, then I am probably in trouble since I think the adjuster is already as long as it can go. The adjuster is currently extended all the way back toward the rear of the vehicle...the only available threads is to move it toward the engine.

The magic eight ball says, I see a new clutch in your future.:(

The magic eight ball says, I see a new clutch in your future.:(

Damn. I was afraid that would be the answer. I wonder how long I've got? It's still shifting fine at this point (no grinding), as long as I'm not lazy and press the clutch is pressed all the way down.

I don't think my skill level is near high enough to do a clutch job yet...:(

Meant as it only came with the 4cyl model.

I prefer linkage anyway as there is not much to fail and easy to fix/rig in a pinch

Meant as it only came with the 4cyl model.

I prefer linkage anyway as there is not much to fail and easy to fix/rig in a pinch

I hear you, I guess now that I have M.O.R.E. motor mounts.
I might like it better, but in the past AMC V8 motor mounts were a weak link.
Now that my V8 isn't regularly shredding it's mounts :eek:I might feel different.
Having the bellcrank pop loose & the petal go to the floor was a regular thing.
The hydro setup has proven more reliable in practice, at least for me.

The clutch replacement is not that bad if you have the space and time- just follow the book and go slow. It's part of owning one of these things- leaping into the unknown and fixing it yourself. Serious gratification when your done- and keeping the labor cash in your pocket is a good thing too.

If you pay someone to do the clutch job for you, it is probably going to take 4-5 hours plus parts, depending on how manythey have done and what equipment they have... I can do one myself in a weekend, but that is without a lift and jacks and such.

It isn't hard, just takes some time... so I would imagine that you are looking at a few hundred for the job and a couple hundred for parts as a starting point, but possible more if you need other parts?

I know it isn't an exact figure, but there are too many varioables.

Also, the hydraulic clutch was stock on 4 cylinders, you might have one that was swapped in, but in general on teh AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's, not usually going to find a hydraulic clutch on there.

cb

The clutch replacement is not that bad if you have the space and time- just follow the book and go slow. It's part of owning one of these things- leaping into the unknown and fixing it yourself. Serious gratification when your done- and keeping the labor cash in your pocket is a good thing too.

Besides fulfilling a long desire to own a classic Jeep, part of the reason I got this project vehicle was just like you said...to force myself to learn things I've never done before and fix things myself. Call it trying to hold onto youth, or whatever. I want to learn and I definitely want that gratification.

To be honest, I am feeling pretty depressed right now. I had hoped that this particular Jeep (seemingly in OK and driveable shape but no where near perfect) would allow me to ease into more and more difficult projects over time since my skills are currently quite low. Right now I don't feel like my skills are much higher than swapping spark plugs and changing disk brake pads. Yet here I am with several (clutch + oil pump/front end engine noise issue + lack of top end power) major repairs in my near future.

I have looked through the repair manual and it makes a little sense to me. However, I worry that it doesn't make ENOUGH sense for me to figure it out...especially since I've never replaced a clutch on anything before!

So, can anybody give me a pep talk, or should I just accept I'm an idiot and shouldn't have started this project without more skills?? I know most everyone on this forum has more technical skills than I do, but everyone had to start somewhere right??

You can do it bro- get your parts lined up, pick a weekend, and keep a digital camera handy. We can help you through any problems you run into- just post pics and a description of the issue, and you'll be rollin' again in no time. The hardest part is the physical size of the components- having a buddy that won't mind getting greasy will help you alot.

If you don't do your first one, there can't be a second one, so grab them bootstraps and tear into that thing. I've had wiring problems that were harder than a clutch swap. The more you learn it- the more you'll love it.

Besides fulfilling a long desire to own a classic Jeep, part of the reason I got this project vehicle was just like you said...to force myself to learn things I've never done before and fix things myself. Call it trying to hold onto youth, or whatever. I want to learn and I definitely want that gratification.

To be honest, I am feeling pretty depressed right now. I had hoped that this particular Jeep (seemingly in OK and driveable shape but no where near perfect) would allow me to ease into more and more difficult projects over time since my skills are currently quite low. Right now I don't feel like my skills are much higher than swapping spark plugs and changing disk brake pads. Yet here I am with several (clutch + oil pump/front end engine noise issue + lack of top end power) major repairs in my near future.

I have looked through the repair manual and it makes a little sense to me. However, I worry that it doesn't make ENOUGH sense for me to figure it out...especially since I've never replaced a clutch on anything before!

So, can anybody give me a pep talk, or should I just accept I'm an idiot and shouldn't have started this project without more skills?? I know most everyone on this forum has more technical skills than I do, but everyone had to start somewhere right??

A clutch job while seemingly more involved than a brake job, is in reality not mechanically more difficult than doing a brake job right.
Granted the parts are heavier.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A clutch job while seemingly more involved than a brake job, is in reality not mechanically more difficult than doing a bake job right.
Granted the parts are heavier.:rolleyes:
now we are cooking?

Thanks Guys for the pep talk!

As long as you guys don't mind, I will absolutely be calling on your advice when I attempt to do this.

It may be a few weeks before I can launch into the clutch job. Fortunately, although the clutch pedal is somewhat low to the floor, the clutch still disconnects and the tranny changes gears OK.

What is the best place to order the parts from? I know Morris 4x4 has a complete clutch kit. I also know that the local autoparts store can get the pieces...

Believe it or not there are actually parts you can buy at the parts house down the street, a clutch would be one of them. :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom