Austin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 - 258 i6 4.2
Trans - Borg-Warner T-5
Tansfer Case - Dana 300
Dana 30 in front for sure
Looks like an AMC20 in the rear, a pic of the cover would tell for sure.
The 20 has a round cover.

Thanks for the help. Thought that's what they were but nice to be 100% now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Austin can you clarify something for me? Your profile says you have an 84 CJ7 . The original posted question says 80 CJ7 .

It wont make a difference for this particular question but up till '82 Cjs had narrow trac axles wich are about 1.5 in shorter than wide trac axles wich were installed at the factory from '82 on.

Last edited:
I have an 84 but the frame, tub, fenders... Essentially everything but the engine, drive train is shot and I found an 80 frame with axles and wheels, bought new tub and all....so basically using the good parts on the 84 to built on the 80. Is that possible...will I run into a lot of issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Pete said the axles are different between those years, to 82 NT= narrow track vs. 83-86 WT= wide track. They can interchange as units on different frames but may effect your build design and what tires you can fit etc.

If I were you I would go with the widetrac axles IMO

So essentially I could just put the WT axles on the 80 frame ( which all frames were basically the same right? Other than strut mounts) and use the disc brakes off the NT axles and put then on the WT, since they are currently drums on the front? Also the NT axles have locker, can I use those in the WT?

Ultimately I would like to try and keep it as much of an 84 as possible. Another question is, are the leaf springs all transferable from the NT to the WT?

Just change everything form the knuckles (ball joints)out on the brakes.
Yes, everything else will interchange. As long as they are both Dana 30 's and AMC20 's

[ Also the NT axles have locker, can I use those in the WT?[/QUOTE]
You will not be able to pull it out of the NT and install directly into the WT without proper set up but it can be done.

You will not be able to pull it out of the NT and install directly into the WT without proper set up but it can be done.

:agree: It's not to hard though(setting up the locker) if your not changing the gears in the WT.

Just change everything form the knuckles (ball joints)out on the brakes.
Yes, everything else will interchange. As long as they are both Dana 30 's and AMC20 's

Is the WT axles worth the little extra work and effort? I'm all about functionality and if they are simply better than the NT axles I'll def do it. And yes, they are both Dana 30 front and Dana 20 rear...now that I know that from the beginning of this thread.

[ Also the NT axles have locker, can I use those in the WT?
You will not be able to pull it out of the NT and install directly into the WT without proper set up but it can be done.[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by "proper" set up?

What size tires do you want to run? Are you after an Old School look or a more modern CJ? Basicaly it's 3" diff. in width and the NT will keep the tires inside the body width and the WT will fill out to the flairs more.

Would I need to change the strut mounts on the 80 frame to the 84 style bolt ons then if I am swapping NT axles for WT axles then or can I keep the shorter style 80's frame strut mounts that are welded on?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom