Identifying my front and rear axle

Identifying my front and rear axle
What size tires do you want to run? Are you after an Old School look or a more modern CJ? Basicaly it's 3" diff. in width and the NT will keep the tires inside the body width and the WT will fill out to the flairs more.

The frame currently has a 4inch suspension lift and I just ordered a 1inch daystar body lift, all sitting on 35's right now. Which I would like to keep since I already have them but I understand I may need to trim the fenders some. To answer your question I want to keep it as classic as possible but be modern/ functional off road.

The frame currently has a 4inch suspension lift and I just ordered a 1inch daystar body lift, all sitting on 35's right now. Which I would like to keep since I already have them but I understand I may need to trim the fenders some. To answer your question I want to keep it as classic as possible but be modern/ functional off road.

35's are not doable on a NT, sounds like you better plan on the WT.

35's are not doable on a NT, sounds like you better plan on the WT.

Good to know. Guess I'll be changing my plans these week from fuel and brake lines to swamping axles, lockers and disc brakes. Are the gears, assuming they are the same or evening if they are different, swap-able from NT to WT axles?

Yes everything will swap BUT setting up the gears takes some knowledge and special tools.
To just change the locker you will need a dial indicator and magnetic stand.
Get thoes frist as you need to check the backlash on the gears before you take the locker and the open diff. out.
There's a couple ways to do it but you need the indicator for both.

You will need to change the shock mounts to the later bolt on ones.

Last edited:
I just remembered something (I'm old forgive me) unlike the ford 8.8 and the AMC20 (that I have been working on lately) the Dana 30 has the shims under the carrier bearings. You will need to press the bearings on and off to change them.
If your not going to put the NT back together you can take the most worn looking bearings and open them up with a flap wheel to use as set-up bearings.
Here's a link to some good rebuild info. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5304-2.pdf

Yes everything will swap BUT setting up the gears takes some knowledge and special tools.
To just change the locker you will need a dial indicator and magnetic stand.
Get thoes frist as you need to check the backlash on the gears before you take the locker and the open diff. out.
There's a couple ways to do it but you need the indicator for both.

You will need to change the shock mounts to the later bolt on ones.

Thanks Old Dog. I was going to ask about switching the shock mounts since the WT is 1.5 longer on each end, I imagine the shock mounts were changed for a reason on the WT. Thanks for the link to the build as well. Going to help out a lot.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom