Ignition problem

Ignition problem

archer2147

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ5, AMC 304, Apache 35's, all fiberglass tub, newer everything, just a couple bugs in every system
Hey everyone, Jeep new guy here, i have a 75 CJ5 that ive been working on and came across a problem...

I was installing some new gauges (voltometer) when i grounded out the power line from the starter solenoid to the gauge. Now when i turn the key it does nothing, nada, zippo... I changed out the starter solenoid, but still no joy, suggestions? oh, and no fuses were blown, so whats next? coil? Thanks in advance!

where did the wire attach to the solenoid??
what did you ground to??

Hey everyone, Jeep new guy here, i have a 75 CJ5 that ive been working on and came across a problem...

I was installing some new gauges (voltometer) when i grounded out the power line from the starter solenoid to the gauge. Now when i turn the key it does nothing, nada, zippo... I changed out the starter solenoid, but still no joy, suggestions? oh, and no fuses were blown, so whats next? coil? Thanks in advance!

The new volt gauge should work whenever it gets voltage across the two leads. One lead to the gauge must not be right.
I often make stupid mistakes so forgive me for saying this but did you connect the wire to the correct side of the starter solenoid? One end is always 12 volts. The other side only gets voltage when you are craning the starter (even then it's not 12 volts)
If that wasn't it double check the ground of the gauge. Is it getting a good ground from the dash.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood the problem. The gauge works but now the jeep won't start? I think the wires to the solenoid are wrong.
The coil isn't the problem. Even without a distributor the engine should crank over. If it isn't turning over the problem is the starter isn't getting 12 volts.

Last edited:
Yea, the gauge works fine, the jeep wont start, wont click, wont nothin..

Keep in mind that it ran just fine before i shorted it out, (to the water temp gauge wire, but no problems there). I thought it was the starter solenoid, so i went to napa and got a replacement, hooked the wires up the same way they were on the old one, main battery lead and voltometer lead on one side, starter lead on the other, and the ignition lead on the small post. Is there anything else i couldve fried? i checked all the fuses, it was a stupid mistake and im just frustrated at myself, its clouding my thinking perhaps...

ill take a multimeter to it tomorrow, im too pissed to do it tonight....

Do you have a hand-held volt meter? When you turn the key 12 volts should go to the solenoid on one of the 2 smaller wires (don't know what wire but it should be on the instructions). Then the solenoid should turn on and then 12 volts should be on the big cable going to the starter.

roger, thanks a lot, ill give that a try in the A.M.

I'm not familiar with a 75 CJ, but are there any fuseable links at the solenoid?

No, that starttest picture is not vehicle specific.;)

I'm not familiar with a 75 CJ, but are there any fuseable links at the solenoid?

I put the starttest.jpg in for a example, not knowing you skill with a multimeter.

alright, so after doing a few tests, when i turn the ignition, no power is flowing thru the solenoid. After thinking napa sold me a dud, i got another... still nothing working, i think it has something to do with the ignition, maybe a fuse. I checked all the fuses (or so i think), i mean, theres only about 6 of them under the dash, but maybe im missing something? im thinking it has to be the ignition fuse, i mean, nothing works, no lights not anything... any more suggestions? where is the ignition fuse located exactly?

EDIT: not everything is dead, my new voltometer works fine, haha

alright, so after doing a few tests, when i turn the ignition, no power is flowing thru the solenoid. After thinking napa sold me a dud, i got another... still nothing working, i think it has something to do with the ignition, maybe a fuse. I checked all the fuses (or so i think), i mean, theres only about 6 of them under the dash, but maybe im missing something? im thinking it has to be the ignition fuse, i mean, nothing works, no lights not anything... any more suggestions? where is the ignition fuse located exactly?

EDIT: not everything is dead, my new voltometer works fine, haha

Try running a jumper wire from the hot( or Right side) of your solenoid to the front right terminal post. Then try your meter.:cool:

OK so i ran a jumper wire between the hot lead and the ignition post and she cranks, so whats the problem? the solenoid switches the power to the starter. I traced the ignition wire to the fuse box, no blown fuses, then it goes to the ignition, why wont it work?? im confused, if the main (and only) battery lead goes to the solenoid, what switches the power over to the starter (and the rest of the jeep)? Basically, when i turn the key, what allows the solenoid to switch on?

OK so i ran a jumper wire between the hot lead and the ignition post and she cranks, so whats the problem? the solenoid switches the power to the starter. I traced the ignition wire to the fuse box, no blown fuses, then it goes to the ignition, why wont it work?? im confused, if the main (and only) battery lead goes to the solenoid, what switches the power over to the starter (and the rest of the jeep)? Basically, when i turn the key, what allows the solenoid to switch on?

The jumper allows you to know for sure it your solenoid is good.
If it functions with the jumper, the problem is in your ignition circuit.
It could be a wire shorting against the firewall because of abrasion.
It could be 2 wires could be shorting together under the dash.
It could be in the ignition switch it's self.

Thanks, im gonna have to dive in deep tomorrow then, thanks again

The 2 post on the front of the solenoid are controlled by the ignition switch.
That's what makes the right post hot when you turn the key, then when you continue rotating the key it makes the left side hot that engages the starter.
When the engine starts & you release the key.
The left side goes cold, but the right side stays hot.;)

OK, but i only have one wire going to the right post ( "s" post"...it was like that before and it ran fine....do i need those 2 wires? i just cant belive that shorting out the one voltometer wire has the whole jeep dead and me frustrated and confused.....

I mean, path of flow leads the short directly to the solenoid, wouldnt have that been the problem? how did the over current travel past that and mess up the whole ignition circuit...

wtf

OK, but i only have one wire going to the right post ( "s" post"...it was like that before and it ran fine....do i need those 2 wires? i just cant belive that shorting out the one voltometer wire has the whole jeep dead and me frustrated and confused.....

I mean, path of flow leads the short directly to the solenoid, wouldnt have that been the problem? how did the over current travel past that and mess up the whole ignition circuit...

wtf

The Jumper wire is only for test or emergency purposes.
If you leave it connected, it could run your battery down.
It's not intended to be a permanent solution. ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom