intake ?

intake ?
thanks cj that is some good info.

ok i bought the intake. know my ? is it looks like the carb sits on it sideways. how the heck do you do the cables.

ok i bought the intake. know my ? is it looks like the carb sits on it sideways. how the heck do you do the cables.
Congrats! What did you end up paying? Sounds like you'll have to fabricate a cable bracket. I'll be doing that this weekend too for my head, intakes and carb swap.

Congrats! What did you end up paying? Sounds like you'll have to fabricate a cable bracket. I'll be doing that this weekend too for my head, intakes and carb swap.

$AMC 150 for it. i already googled pics on how the cable is on the 4bl. so my mind is in Overdrive thinking of a way to do it. if i can rig one up for the mc2100 i can think of one for this lol.

$AMC 150 for it. i already googled pics on how the cable is on the 4bl. so my mind is in Overdrive thinking of a way to do it. if i can rig one up for the mc2100 i can think of one for this lol.
Can't beat half the price of new!

Are you getting an adapter and sticking with the MC2100, or are you switching to the dark side and getting a 4 barrel? :D

Can't beat half the price of new!

Are you getting an adapter and sticking with the MC2100, or are you switching to the dark side and getting a 4 barrel? :D

for now i bought the adapter for the mc2100. i have everyone at work on the lookout for a 390cfm and i posted on craigslist for one.

for now i bought the adapter for the mc2100. i have everyone at work on the lookout for a 390cfm and i posted on craigslist for one.
Wow! I'd never priced a Holley 390 before! I can't believe they want to charge well over $300 for a plain jane generic vaccum secondary Holley! I would definitely be watching for a used one. The good news is, unless the base or metering block are warped, they're the easiest carb in the world to rebuild, and pretty much every part for them is available inidividually off the shelf at most parts stores. If you find one, I strongly suggest you rebuild it using the blue reusable gaskets.

Which intake did you end up getting, Clifford or Offy? I can't remember. Is it an open plenum? If so, I'd just stick with the adapter and MC2100 and call it a day.

Wow! I'd never priced a Holley 390 before! I can't believe they want to charge well over $300 for a plain jane generic vaccum secondary Holley! I would definitely be watching for a used one. The good news is, unless the base or metering block are warped, they're the easiest carb in the world to rebuild, and pretty much every part for them is available inidividually off the shelf at most parts stores. If you find one, I strongly suggest you rebuild it using the blue reusable gaskets.

Which intake did you end up getting, Clifford or Offy? I can't remember. Is it an open plenum? If so, I'd just stick with the adapter and MC2100 and call it a day.

offy so no open plenum. might not run right with the mc2100 but will see. the carb new at my work is $400.

offy so no open plenum. might not run right with the mc2100 but will see. the carb new at my work is $400.

Jegs and Summitracing both have the Holley 390 for a little under $400. So your new intake has a split plenum? Will the divider be between the 2 barrels of your 2100, or will the butterflies both be centered over the divider?

Edit, I just looked at your intake on Jegs and I see it has four sepatate butterfly openings. I thought it just had a divider wall down the middle. I'd say you really should go to the smallest square bore 4 barrel you can find to fit it.

Edit again. I noticed that I was looking at a Ford 300 intake. I thought the link from my search took me to an AMC intake. I'll look around more.

Last edited:
Ok I believe I found it on Summitracing.com. Is this your intake?

Jegs and Summitracing both have the Holley 390 for a little under $400. So your new intake has a split plenum? Will the divider be between the 2 barrels of your 2100, or will the butterflies both be centered over the divider?

Edit, I just looked at your intake on Jegs and I see it has four sepatate butterfly openings. I thought it just had a divider wall down the middle. I'd say you really should go to the smallest square bore 4 barrel you can find to fit it.

Edit again. I noticed that I was looking at a Ford 300 intake. I thought the link from my search took me to an AMC intake. I'll look around more.

it looks like the mc2100 will be dead center. looks like one barrel is going to catch half of each hole on both sides. i know it will be better with a 4bl. i wanted this intake though cause when i have all the right stuff i wont loose any lowend tq.

i think when i go to work if i find a longer throddle cable i have a idea on how to hook it up. just need time and a warm day to put the intake and header on.

it looks like the mc2100 will be dead center. looks like one barrel is going to catch half of each hole on both sides. i know it will be better with a 4bl. i wanted this intake though cause when i have all the right stuff i wont loose any lowend tq.
I read up on it. They said it channels the primaries through separate smaller passages for higher velocity and better mileage, and then the secondaries flow though larger passages. With it opened up through the adapter between your carb and the intake, your 2100 2 barrel will flow through the low and high velocity runners at the same time, which will kill your intake velocity and make it run really bad. If there was a way to just block the secondary openings and adapt your 2 barrel just to the primary butterfly holes, it would probably work great with it, but I don't see any way of doing that.

Looks like your can of worms will definitely include a four barrel in your future. Good luck! :chug:

I read up on it. They said it channels the primaries through separate smaller passages for higher velocity and better mileage, and then the secondaries flow though larger passages. With it opened up through the adapter between your carb and the intake, your 2100 2 barrel will flow through the low and high velocity runners at the same time, which will kill your intake velocity and make it run really bad. If there was a way to just block the secondary openings and adapt your 2 barrel just to the primary butterfly holes, it would probably work great with it, but I don't see any way of doing that.

Looks like your can of worms will definitely include a four barrel in your future. Good luck! :chug:

ya i dont think its going on till i get another carb. i will put the header on though.

i think when i go to work if i find a longer throddle cable i have a idea on how to hook it up. just need time and a warm day to put the intake and header on.
I think the AMC 304 V8 throttel cable from a 79 will be a few inches longer. It's like 21" instead of 18" that the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l takes.

I also thought of a poor man's fix for your carb issue. You could grab a 600 CFM vaccum secondary and disconnect the secondary vaccum rod, essentially making it a 300 CFM 2 barrel that would make use of only the primary high velocity runners in the intake, which would still give you a very solid vaccum signal to the carb and good low end torque. Holley 600's are a dime a dozen. I know it sounds a little cheesey, but it was just a thought. :)

One other thought on that is if you were to go with a 600 Holley only using the primaries, if you ever decide to go to a larger cam and better flowing head, you could always hook the secondaries back up and use them.

I forget, what head are you running on your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , the stock 1979, or did you do the 4.0 H.O. head swap?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom