Looking to start a Jeep project New to Jeeps

Looking to start a Jeep project New to Jeeps

Goose

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi, New guy here looking to a bit of research before I dive into a project Jeep. I have always wanted to get a Jeep project to work on. I am leaning to a CJ7 or a YJ Wrangler to build. It looks like no matter what style there are tons of aftermark parts for these Jeeps. Here are a few questions that I have and I am looking for some feedback before I start on a project.

1. Ease of rebuild CJ7 vs. early YJ?

2. Better to start with just a frame in ok condition or buy a something with motor rusted body body etc? What is a ok price for just a frame in good shape? Seems like the road salt we use in MI has done some dammage to most older Jeep bodies.

3. Cost wise is a fiberglass tub better in the long run?

4. Motor options: factory rebuilt or something like a 305 Chevy?

I mostly will want this a toy to drive around in warmer months and for playing off road from time to time.

Hi, New guy here looking to a bit of research before I dive into a project Jeep. I have always wanted to get a Jeep project to work on. I am leaning to a CJ7 or a YJ Wrangler to build. It looks like no matter what style there are tons of aftermark parts for these Jeeps. Here are a few questions that I have and I am looking for some feedback before I start on a project.

2. Better to start with just a frame in ok condition or buy a something with motor rusted body body etc? What is a ok price for just a frame in good shape? Seems like the road salt we use in MI has done some dammage to most older Jeep bodies.

I mostly will want this a toy to drive around in warmer months and for playing off road from time to time.
What a bucket of worms you opened

first, YJs have square headlights.
second, find a good donor jeep for around 4 grand, you will get so much you do not even think about than just getting a frame, if you just get a frame, you need every little expensive thing.
third, go steel, just my preference
forth, what are the smog laws, I know a big v8 sounds powerful, but wheeling is all about torque, some of the strait 6s put out by Jeep have the torque curve way down low, just where it is needed.

Fifth, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, post up pictures of the project and have a blast.

Here's my take on it.
1. ones as easy to build as the other, it's a tie
2. I live in ohio so I know what your talken about. Buy a whole jeep with the best frame you can find. You need all the little parts you get with it.
3. Its fiberglass 100% for me. I want this body to last for a long time.
4. The stock drivetrain is the easyest and cheapest. The V8 is more fun but way more money.

1. if you get a yj put a cj front on it for round headlights
2. get a good frame and use cl to find body parts
3. if you get the steel body from the place in toledo, oh it has everything to just bolt up
4. i like my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Thanks, for the tips. As for the engine and Transmission I , just wanted to kinda confirm that a stock engine and Transmission combo was just fine. Good point to find a donor Jeep with all the parts. Like I said some of the ones I have seen in my area can be in rough shape because of the road salt. I wasnt sure if it was worth my time to strip a Jeep and maybe not be able to use half of the parts because of bad rust. I will deff keep my eye out now. Kinda kicking myself now, I found a frame for a CJ7 that was media blasted, repaired and painted for $300. Should have got it a month ago, but Ill keep looking.

Any Major things to watch out for when looking for a project Jeep? Like common probs on Frames etc?

check the frame out real close. They like to rust out in the rear, check from the spring hanger to the rear bumper. On cj's anyways.

if your gonna buy a whole jeep look at the wiring too. people try to fix the crappy wiring in their jeeps and alot of times the rapair isn't even as good as the factory or can be just plain dangerous. all of this info probably ain't helping him decide to buy a cj :laugh: but you get one work on it and find out how much you can make it your own and you'll love it. Of course i guess you can make a yj your own but square headlights and plastic dashes just aren't cool. although better springs, galvanized rust free tubs, and better wiring is cool aaaahhhhhhh i'm so confused :wtf:

Last edited:

1. Anyone who tells you to build a Yj over a Cj will be automatically banned from the site. :D Just kidding but this is Jeep-Cj.com so you know the answer you'll get here already

2. Id start with a complete Jeep myself. There are so many things you'll have to grab for a bare frame build it'll nickel and dime you to death. It'll also drag your project out waiting for this little piece I forgot and such.

3. If your comparing a brand new replacement tub to tub Id go with fiberglass. But the way Id really lean is finding a solid Yj tub and converting it.

4. There is nothing wrong with the Amc motors found in Jeeps wether its the 8 or 6 cyl. version.

I am leaning more to a cj at the moment. I was just trying to compare the two. My finial decision is going to be what I can get the best deal on. I really see the value in getting a whole jeep now after looking online. If I went with a fiberglass body what are some good sites to check out for prices,kits,etc.

I would look for a good donor jeep, there are just to many things that cost money you will get from it. seats guages hardware lights steeriing column etc. Plus a title. You do not need the best you can find as you seem to want a sound frame. If salt is a major issue there, do a search for aftermarket frames, or call a wrecking yard out west here where we have very little rust issues and source a frame. I see the point of youo wanting a fiberglass body now. I live in SoCal so rust is not a major issue.
I would say though, if I was planning to do as you seem to want to do, just built the entire thing yourself, I would go with a CJ, I just feel they were the best looking Jeep ever put out. My personal preference is the short nosed pre 72 CJ5s and 6s. Also you would be able to build a scrambler if you do it that way, remember if you buy any CJ7 , noone at teh DMV would be able to tell it from a CJ8 when you go for final license. I mean register it as the CJ7 you buy, but build a a CJ8 , you are going for fiberglass and a new frame afterall.

I did find frame locally for a 1973 CJ5 that wwas media blasted and coated with POR-15 for about $275 OBO. Seems like a fair deal if its in good shape. Says it was in storeage for a few years with the intent of being a project jeep. Whats the going rate for a just a frame?

I did find frame locally for a 1973 CJ5 that wwas media blasted and coated with POR-15 for about $275 OBO. Seems like a fair deal if its in good shape. Says it was in storeage for a few years with the intent of being a project jeep. Whats the going rate for a just a frame?
new, over 2 grand, used, what teh market will bear, but again, you need a titled jeep first.

It sounds to me like the pickings in your part of the world are a bit thin. Maybe you should throw a wider loop, look out of state, south to be more precise.

Have you looked in Kentucky or even North Carolina?? You could do a bit of traveling and still be ahead of the game just because what you did find is worth keeping.

i live in ga and i know a guy who has +-10 CJs sittin in his yard at any given time he mostly parts them out but he might sell one whole if your interested. there was a badbehind CJ7 on craigslist for $6200 i would have killed for not to long ago. you can check Chattanooga, tn craigslist and search for jeep. there has been several CJ5 on there the last couple of days
check this out
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1572069135.html
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1564308434.html
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1562247666.html

Too add to the Craiglist search deals if you dont know this already heres a handy website. Search Tempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist! Put in how many miles your willing to travel , what your looking for and how much your willing to spend. Its pretty helpful. Good luck with your search and come back and show us what you got. ;)

Too add to the Craiglist search deals if you dont know this already heres a handy website. Search Tempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist! Put in how many miles your willing to travel , what your looking for and how much your willing to spend. Its pretty helpful. Good luck with your search and come back and show us what you got. ;)
ah, don't want to hijack but that's pretty cool ima try this. look at that first cl link i posted up its a 1963 CJ5 Tuxedo Park Park Mark III 40,000 Original Miles

As far as fiberglass goes buy new so you know what you are getting. There is everything from cheap to expensive, but as usual you get what you pay for.
I would google fiberglass bodies for jeeps and start reading. Different compinies build them different and even have different grades so the choice is yours. If you plan to keep the jeep buy the best one you can.
I have an AJ's body and I'm very happy with it BUT they are out of bussniss now.
IMO Kentrol is toward the bottom of the list

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom