Looking to start a Jeep project New to Jeeps

Looking to start a Jeep project New to Jeeps
Hey, Goose, here's how a Jeep buy & build works:

I was in your shoes exactly a year ago. Shopped hard, drive four, turned down more than ten that I surveyed top to bottom. Mostly my rejection was for rust (I live on the Gulf Coast, no salt unless some fool tries to play submarine). I finally bought a 1980 CJ7 set up for rocks (had the scars to prove it) but a spotless POR15'ed frame, crate AMC 304 V8 with less than a 1000 miles, and a Warn winch front, hitch on the back. The Mickey Thompson 35's were 90 percent; still had the little rubber injector port threads from the factory mold. I got it November 9th, after a good look-over and a test drive.

The Jeep wobbled all over the road, and the rear brake drums were greasy as if the wheel cylinders were leaking. The engine ran hugely rich, but I figured I knew a vacuum leak when I smelled one.

Got it home, scared me so bad driving the ten miles from where I bought it that I grounded it immediately for brakes (none you'd notice unless you stood on the petal) and steering.

Six months later, almost to the day, I drove it for the first time since I got it home. The rear wheels and axle housing were full of crud from someone snorkeling, and the leaks were from the axle flange gasket. I cleaned everything up, installed new bearings, seals, single-piece axle to replace the not-well-regarded AMC20 two-part axles. Reworked the brakes completely, even painted the interior parts for rust-prevention.

The steering shaft was shot, worn to near-nothing. I started at the firewall with a new steering shaft, a new high-capacity power steering pump, and a new steering box designed for road, not for rocks.

Meantimes, I discovered that I love investigating and solving the problems I discover, problems like the key sticks between start and ON; you can tell when by looking at the ammeter. There is no reading on the fuel gage (PO told me so), not on the oil pressure or temp gages (PO told me that).

To cut to the chase, I found all the horrible vacuum leaks where the "mechanic" put 30-year-old rubber back onto the rebuilt engine. He'd cocked the fuel pump base causing an oil leak. The fuel filter was installed upside down, allowing the carb line to drain dry and creating a hard start. I never particularly liked cars; drove 'em to get where I needed to be, but preferred boats as pleasurable transportation. Now I look for every excuse to crank the Jeep, no matter how transparent my excuse to my bride for the trip. The ragtop is off, the engine sounds almost like a Pratt & Whitney radial aircraft engine (yes, I know the sound from long ago). The paint job sparkles in the sun, there is enough chrome for even a 1958 Buick fan to look twice at, and this machine will get me anywhere I can even imagine going, and I chase all manner of wild animals in the wildernesses of the Pearl and Pascagoula rivers in this region.

Here's what I learned - You can't buy a Jeep; you gotta build it. It will become a very personal thing, not ownership exactly, although you'll have the title. You'll discover that you have a passion for doing the right thing for the right engineering reason, to make the machine as sound and reliable as you possibly can. You'll spend more time than money, although good materials and top-line parts are dear. The Jeep will NEVER get finished, although you'll surely keep it for years and drive it safely all the while. But in YOUR Jeep, when you travel from point to point, the trip is every bit, maybe a little more, enjoyable than the arrival at destination.

I'm just sorry I waited this long!

bon chance,

Denny

PS: If you've finally found what you wanted, I hope it is as satisfactory to you as the one I picked.

Hey Goose, DHUGG is right on point.

IMO your learning curve will accelerate as you get you a jeep and start to take her apart, both mentally and physically. I wish I would have bought me one many years ago but waited till I retired. They do not require a pile of different tools to work on and still have a real frame and body to work with. Parts are around and you have lots of new friends to give you help here.

Keep positive and working toward that Jeep of yours.

It IS the journey in a jeep and not the destination as Denny says above.

A CJ7 is the way to go...:cool: Hey keep looking and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
DHugg,

Excellent Post!!! Your post almost sounded like mine but I had a 60 mile white knuckle trip!! Ha Ha I was all over the road. I too grounded mine and I will be taking it to get it inspected later this week. I plan to be driving top down next weekend!!!

Just wanted to post your Jeep looks Great!!!!

As far as the original post---You gotta go with a CJ!!!!

Don't forget Ebay also. I had just bought my Jeep (Sept) and 2 months later the Jeep I was looking for an 1983 CJ7 Black Renegade sold for $5000.00. It was in original shape and only had 85,000 miles. I am just saying keep looking.

Best of Luck!

Shoot me a note if it's a CJ5 you decide on. I have an early model that has been changed to a 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 . The whole drive train is 70 Commano so parts are easy to look up and purchase. All the leaf springs are new with 2in lift. The shackels also have a 1in lift. I have been on this build for some time but will not be able to finish it.
The steel body has had new floors welded in ect, ect ect, The only things I have not done is buy a new wiring harness and replace the Rockchester 2Jet carb. The rig is in the western area of Virginia just at the top of the state. The only way to contact me is at ricterstein@comcast.net.
I love cjs and all things jeep as long as they have minimal plastic parts!
Been playing with jeeps for a long time and will miss them.

You might want to look for a thread that is less tan two years old. I would also add that all buying and selling needs to happen in the classified section. You will get scolded if not; by the bossman!

Shoot me a note if it's a CJ5 you decide on. I have an early model that has been changed to a 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 . The whole drive train is 70 Commano so parts are easy to look up and purchase. All the leaf springs are new with 2in lift. The shackels also have a 1in lift. I have been on this build for some time but will not be able to finish it.
The steel body has had new floors welded in ect, ect ect, The only things I have not done is buy a new wiring harness and replace the Rockchester 2Jet carb. The rig is in the western area of Virginia just at the top of the state. The only way to contact me is at ricterstein@comcast.net.
I love cjs and all things jeep as long as they have minimal plastic parts!
Been playing with jeeps for a long time and will miss them.

Welcome! I was a newbie just last year, bought a 76 CJ& and have just completed restomod. For what you are looking to do, a CJ would be great. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a great motor

I would recommend a later model CJ7 , 84-86, disc brakes up front, Dana 300 Transfer Case , upgraded suspension. I would also recommend you look for desert or California car if possible to avoid rust.

Try to find the least molested vehicle you can; it's amazing the 'fixes' some people will do to a CJ over the years.
Dave

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom