Build Thread My Daisy Jane

Build Thread My Daisy Jane
Got the lift on and the 31’s are okay for now. If I was keeping the axles and gears it would be a different story. Need to snug it up and add my extended brake lines and I’m good.

b8e02fb069cb93878a38758a839c8999.jpg

b6fdf77d45dd84370014afd16f98ad2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...as has been the case that’s last few weeks. Almost NOTHING has gone well / as planned / on schedule.

My dad said often that if it weren’t for bad luck, he’d have none at all.

Well it’s been genetic lately.

Was headed to Moab late. Just got done moving and it was gonna be a all night road trip there just to make Monday’s run. About 5-6hrs in (1am) I felt a tug and a boom and looked back and saw parts sparking across the interstate.

My transfer case had exploded. Seems it never came out of FWD (Quadratrac).

a787fe7c4c97625b319f6018d88657f1.jpg

I’ll get it swapped out for April’s Moab trip.

Never ends.

Ouch ! Yes April is not that far away now.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: 007
Well...as has been the case that’s last few weeks. Almost NOTHING has gone well / as planned / on schedule.

My dad said often that if it weren’t for bad luck, he’d have none at all.

Well it’s been genetic lately.

Was headed to Moab late. Just got done moving and it was gonna be a all night road trip there just to make Monday’s run. About 5-6hrs in (1am) I felt a tug and a boom and looked back and saw parts sparking across the interstate.

My transfer case had exploded. Seems it never came out of FWD (Quadratrac).

a787fe7c4c97625b319f6018d88657f1.jpg

I’ll get it swapped out for April’s Moab trip.

Never ends.

Ouch that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Best of luck with the repairs

• Thanks for the Post!
Just an extremely minor update here, but I am temporarily living in an apartment for through the winter and I was fortunate enough to lease one of the available garages as well. Now it's only 10x20 BUT with my wheel dollies I can slide the CJ right over to the wall and make the most of it. Gives me about 4' between the Jeep and the wall. It'll give me just enough room to get some things done and no matter what, it's 200sq/ft better than none at all.

I have access to it now, so I'm moving tools, tool bench, etc. in on Friday evening and during the day Saturday. I hope to start working on removing this thrashed driveline as early as Saturday night and I'll post some pictures as soon as I get at it.

Looks like it's been about 3 months since my last post. Apartment life is fine for what it is but the garage situation has merely helped. I have all my tools and things in there, but it seems a few other things have creeped in as well.

Anyway, while I have a transmission and transfer case in storage I found another TH400/Quadratrac for sale that was rebuilt 6 years ago and has a MileMarker kit in it. While I've never considered the MileMarker kit necessary in any way, I've never considered it a bad thing either. This setup also comes with all the parts necessary to put it back to a stock setup as well. I found a front OEM driveshaft from J&W in Sacramento as well.

263c27ac779cef3076dafeb646c57491.jpg

9f366e0e7ef6fe4070f701c0a4512d4f.jpg

With the MileMarker setup I have to put lockout hubs on the front. As such, this will allow me to do a simple Spartan locker in the front.

Now I have everything I need to get it back to where it was before the accident. It would just need exhaust replaced as the front drive shaft destroyed a good portion of it.

So as it relates to Moab, anything else I can get done is gravy as getting it back to where it was is the only present goal. If there’s money and time, I’d put 33’s and 4.10’s or 4.56’s.

It has been a while since you keep us posted on this build. It seems like DJ is keeping you busy and productive.

• Thanks for the Post!
It has been a while since you keep us posted on this build. It seems like DJ is keeping you busy and productive.

Sure has. I also found a pair of 33” BFG MT’s (one KM one KM2) and a pair of 33” BFG AT’s. Got them all for $120. Picking up another pair of AT’s tomorrow then selling them all to make some money to get this all done by 3/1. That leaves me 6-7 weeks to do gears and tires if I can.

1ae07f783fd6f3095c97b8dbb0b9a66e.jpg

cd44b87916f91e40bf8ec6a59c96665f.jpg

Well a bit more progress. I've found mates to the MT's. They are KM2's like one of mine, there's three that match it and one that's worn more. When I physically get them I'll see which makes the best spare. That'll give me 4 GOOD KM2's and a decent spare as well.

I also found some more AT's so I'll have a set of those for street / travel and then keep the MT's for the trail runs. Obviously there's NOTHING wrong with doing trails with AT's but when you have $150-200 in a set you might as well run them on the highway and keep the high dollar tires for the trail, no matter what make/model they are.

Due to weather and time, I've hired someone to swap out my transmission and transfer case. He's coming Saturday to do that for me. So tomorrow or Friday I need to replace the full-time vacuum shifter in the case. The PO had a mechanical setup in his Wagoneer and I'm going back to vacuum since I have a new diaphragm shifter.

Once that's done I'll swap radiators (have a brand new Cold Case aluminum) and move my external transmission cooler either over to the new radiator OR somewhere else. I'm not convinced I like it up there between the radiator and the grill. I'm also going to replace the u-joints in the drive shafts and hook them all up.

At that point I will be back to where I was when it exploded. Then I'll swap tires to the 33's and be ready to go. I'm not a big fan of 33's with 3.54's but I did Colorado on 31's and 2.72's and this setup is better than than one for sure.

That will leave me over 2 months to see if I can swing different gears and perhaps larger tires. Not necessary, but something I want sometime.

Making some more progress today, got the rest of the transfer case out and the transmission too.

What a freaking mess. Completely exploded.

8378c04e343e952b4190d658ad52385d.jpg

5374c96ad11192722b68a98f988bf538.jpg

e03c9c631074e4ccb93628bcb9e5c18b.jpg

27f3223b28222af4f3159976f27c7f79.jpg

9cd77c2cbb6b80b8daf6a93204860ec7.jpg

I’ll save the adapter I guess and the torque converter.

Dang. Thats some carnage for sure. Looking forward to seeing you get her back together. Mine has the Mile Market kit as well. I see being able to slap in some lockers as the biggest advantage of the kit. We just had 22 inches of snow here and I have to admit the Quadratrac really performed well. I had to replace just about everything around it but Im happy with it.

• Thanks for the Post!
Dang. Thats some carnage for sure. Looking forward to seeing you get her back together. Mine has the Mile Market kit as well. I see being able to slap in some lockers as the biggest advantage of the kit. We just had 22 inches of snow here and I have to admit the Quadratrac really performed well. I had to replace just about everything around it but Im happy with it.

Agreed. They are indeed good cases. I have mixed emotions about the part-time kit. I guess I’ll know soon enough. Fundamentally it’s no different than any other transfer case at that point, but having a quadratec does not prevent you from having a locker upfront, it just narrows your choices.

Spent a little more time investigating PO’s shifter intentions. I think I’m going back vacuum.

af70ddbce38feb5d46333fdf8cb7c47f.jpg

dbd5ebb83247cd8a14857b188d3eea2e.jpg

2b9c19f82a8b02c541ca218cea817199.jpg

I remember you saying it went pow ! What actually happened ? Off road or on the hiway ?

I remember you saying it went pow ! What actually happened ? Off road or on the hiway ?

I was towing it to Moab in September. From what I can tell, it never really came out of four-wheel-drive last last time so that cone was spinning spinning spinning.

Wow ! Heard about D300s catching fire. Don't think that is an urban myth, but don't actually know of anyone having that problem either. How much time and distance did you do before that happened ?

I was on the road about five hours? Reno to just west of Elko on I-80.

Good luck to you. I need to get my transfer case and transmission in also. Finished my MORE steering box brace last week and doing my new HD tie rod & drag link flip right now.

Good luck to you. I need to get my transfer case and transmission in also. Finished my MORE steering box brace last week and doing my new HD tie rod & drag link flip right now.

Nice! Need to do those as well.

Nice! Need to do those as well.

Also have a Borgeson steering shaft sitting off to the side waiting on me. Then maybe get back to doing my drive train

• Thanks for the Post!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks