Need help finding #1 on new chinese HEI

cwiehle0

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7
07 Commander,
06 Mazda
I bought one of the $60 dist off Ebay. Judging by some of your posts after a quick search here it seems the consensus is they are :dung:. For now I would like to use it just to get the motor started and I guess I'll just keep it as a backup or something.
I found TDC with the old dist installed and the rotor was pointing directly at 6 o'clock. with the vac can pointing roughly at 3 o clock. I stuck the new dist in place and the rotor pointed right at 6 o clock, but I can't seem to figure out which terminal is number 1 on the cap. The cap can go on in two seperate clocking locations and none of the terminals point driectly at six. What am I missing here?
Thanks Chris

First - what engine (hint: add your engine / Transmission / Transfer Case / axle info to your profile)? The reason I want to know is that you need to check the dist gear if it's an 8 cyl. Again: IMPORTANT! If it's a V8 let us know!

You don't really have to worry about what position on the cap is #1 is, just turn the dist so that the rotor is pointing to a terminal in the cap, put your wires on starting with number one on that terminal. Start it up and adjust your timing to what your engine requires.

BTW - Many have used these dist and have had no problems with them working just fine, don't nock your purchase until you try it for a while. :)

First - what engine (hint: add your engine / Transmission / Transfer Case / axle info to your profile)? The reason I want to know is that you need to check the dist gear if it's an 8 cyl. Again: IMPORTANT! If it's a V8 let us know!

You don't really have to worry about what position on the cap is #1 is, just turn the dist so that the rotor is pointing to a terminal in the cap, put your wires on starting with number one on that terminal. Start it up and adjust your timing to what your engine requires.

BTW - Many have used these dist and have had no problems with them working just fine, don't nock your purchase until you try it for a while. :)

Whoops sorry. It's a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l manual, no idea on the transer case and axle, I'm new to the jeep world. I guess I'll use the distributor for a while and see how it works. This thing is pretty much for my wife driving around town anyway. Thanks on the advice, I guess I most confused on the mutiple clocking locations. It seemed like one location the termial would line up with the rotor and another location it wouldn't. I was geeting tired though so I'll take another look at it this weekend and hopefully fire it up.
Thanks Again

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom