need help

need help

wagonman83

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
70jeep cj5,71jeep cj5,91 toyota, 83 jeep wagoneer
were is a good place to get motor mounts to put a 360 in my cj and what kind of radiator will handle the 360 and fit pretty good preferably not aftermarket

Hello wagonman83 and welcome to the site! :chug:

You left our some important information we need to help you... :)

• What year CJ do you own?
  • What Model?
  • What engine is currently in the CJ now?
  • It might help to know what Transmission ...
Can you give us some information as to what you are trying to accomplish and what you are starting with? This will help us get you going! :)

its a 70 CJ5 and it had a 4cyl in it i am putting an early 80 dodge 360 with a torqueflight 727

Novak has a set of mounts -->> Novak Engine Mounts

Advance Adapters has a set also -->> Engine Mounts | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters

If you purchase the ones from AA and use the banner at the top of the page you'll get 10% off of the price too! :)

Do you plan on making this 4wd? If so that 727 is going to make one very short rear drive shaft in that CJ5 . It's not impossible to make it work but you might want to think about moving the engine as far forward as you can.

You can get a replacement 3 core radiator for a V8 jeep, it should be able to handle the heat from the Mopar as long as you use a fan shroud.

well im doing a 4 link in the rear and cutting the fenders out so i can move the new 9" as far back as possible to help with drive line angles and what about if i do the Dana 300 , since my diff is on driverside i will have to rotate it, so where would i get the new shifter

That sounds great.

I know Down East Offroad makes a flip kit for a Dana 300 ... I would just call them and ask about the shifters as you don't need all the junk in the kit...

Down East Offroad: Transfer Cases

1970 jeep CJ5 with dodge 360v8, soon to be 727 with np208, ford 9" 5.14s with spool. rear custom 4 link rear with trailgear creeper joints and fox 16"air shocks. high pinion ford Dana 44 5.14s with lockrite, sky manufacturing high steer arms, will have 3 link with coils or air shocks, 35" thornbirds (for now) on 15x10 eagle alloy and hood with factory snorkel cut out

1970 jeep CJ5 with dodge 360v8, soon to be 727 with np208, ford 9" 5.14s with spool. rear custom 4 link rear with trailgear creeper joints and fox 16"air shocks. high pinion ford Dana 44 5.14s with lockrite, sky manufacturing high steer arms, will have 3 link with coils or air shocks, 35" thornbirds (for now) on 15x10 eagle alloy and hood with factory snorkel cut out
Man! What a great build! Decided to skip the Dana 300 huh? Too much to flip it?

You gonna use the AA or the Novak engine mounts?

Not to hijack this post, but being that I just signed up I didn't want to create more threads to sift through.

I "rescued" 58' CJ5 that was sitting for a few years. The guy hurt his back and just sat on it. The coolant system was filled with only water, so rust grew like a weed. It has a ford 289 engine in it but was running the stock radiator. It would over heat always, by blowing steam and water out of the cap. I tried a flush, replaced hoses, inspected the water pump and cleaned the heads. The only thing is, I haven't been able to find a radiator to replace the stock one with that could accommodate the engine.

Over all specs to assist: 1958 CJ5 , Ford 289.

Morejeeppics012.jpg

If your looking for new, then get some measurements
of that space you have available and hit up ebay for a
mustang, cougar, fairlane radiator and grab some measurements.

Any radiator from a older mustang, cougar, fairlane should work.
But I'd get some measurements of the area you have to work with then
hit the junk yard.

I've tried that idea, but the core is 17" by 16" and 1" thick. It's 17"x21"x1" total.

Not much I can fit width wise, I'm looking to remove the steel fan and replace with an electric, which will free up some depth and improve air flow.

I just know they make "bolt in" applications for some CJs with GM engine swaps.

May I ask how many rows deep is the coil on the jeep radiator you are using?? I would guess 3 or 4?

Its kinda tough to get a V-8 cooled right in a short nose Cj. Remember that Amc lenghtened the front sheetmetal to adjust for the long AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline 6 and later the AMC 304 V-8.

While the Ford electric fan is a nice upgrade for later Cjs ,its tough to fit in a short nose from the backside of the radiator with a V-8. If your going to use it as a "pusher" fan you have to modify the grill to seat it in correctly.

If clearance hasnt been an issue for you it doesnt look from the pic that you have a shroud. A good fan shroud is definately a step in the right direction.

I tried the shroud with some sheet metal and no dice. Once I remove the metal fan, I'll have some depth to play with. I may mess with the light covers to see what my max width is.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom