Not getting any spark!!

Not getting any spark!!

lifsavr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
80 CJ7 304ci Bone Stock
Me and my Father-in-Law has recently put a Painless wiring system in my 80 CJ7 . The engine is turning over at the key but it isn't getting any spark at the plug. We have put a new coil on it as and have checked a couple little things like making sure it has a fuse in the fuse block. But still no spark can any one give me some direction on what to try next i would gladly appreciate any help it also has a AMC 304 in it.:D

Me and my Father-in-Law has recently put a Painless wiring system in my 80 CJ7 . The engine is turning over at the key but it isn't getting any spark at the plug. We have put a new coil on it as and have checked a couple little things like making sure it has a fuse in the fuse block. But still no spark can any one give me some direction on what to try next i would gladly appreciate any help it also has a AMC 304 in it.:D
There is a red wire on one side of the coil, is there 12 volts to ground when the key is in the run position?

There is a red wire on one side of the coil, is there 12 volts to ground when the key is in the run position?

Just keep following the wire back till you find power.

and if you have it there it is in the ignition itself.:cool:

We are getting 12 volts at the coil all the time at the on and start modes. Do I need to test the distributor? If so how can I test it?:notworthy:

Check your wiring to the CDI box. If that's OK then run the test on the distributor pick up.

Any other ideas? Still have no spark ....I am getting clueless on what to check or do next.:confused:

I have had the "Motorcraft" ignition box go bad for no apparent reason.:mad:
I mean it started I drove it I turned off the ignition & when I came back I tried it again & nothing.After pulling my hair out for a while, I tried a new box & it fired right up. Since then I've never run stock ignition in a Jeep since.;)

I'm running the Prestolite CDI box with 4 wires coming out of it and a ground. 2 wires are suppose to go to the coil and 2 to the dist, according to the Painless wiring diagram. (which ain't good) With Ign on I have 12v to both sides of the coil all the time.

My understanding is the CDI tells the coil when to put fire to the cap. Right?

New Coil and new CDI box. Not sure the dist pickup is telling the CDI box anything. Can I unhook the dist pickup and turn the engine over and measure voltage between those two terminals to eliminate the dist as the problem?

I'm running the Prestolite CDI box with 4 wires coming out of it and a ground. 2 wires are suppose to go to the coil and 2 to the dist, according to the Painless wiring diagram. (which ain't good) With Ign on I have 12v to both sides of the coil all the time.

My understanding is the CDI tells the coil when to put fire to the cap. Right?

New Coil and new CDI box. Not sure the dist pickup is telling the CDI box anything. Can I unhook the dist pickup and turn the engine over and measure voltage between those two terminals to eliminate the dist as the problem?

Were they using capacitive discharge in 80?
Any how, this is a rhetorical question at this point
I would take my brand new CDI /ECM back to the place I bought it and have it tested. There was someone in here a week ago that had bought a bad one and had the replacement tested along with three more before they found a good one. The after markets modules are :dung:. I wish I could be more help. :cool:

I want to make sure I'm using the correct terminology. The CDI I am talking about is the Electronic Spark Control Module? An ECM to me could be an Electronic Control Module that the Emission Cars used. So, just so I don't confuse you.

Were they using capacitive discharge in 80?
Any how, this is a rhetorical question at this point
I would take my brand new CDI /ECM back to the place I bought it and have it tested. There was someone in here a week ago that had bought a bad one and had the replacement tested along with three more before they found a good one. The after markets modules are :dung:. I wish I could be more help. :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom