NP 435 vs. T-18

NP 435 vs. T-18

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
I am wondering if anyone has anything to say about the Ford NP435/ 4 speed Transmission . Is there anyone who can compare one to a T-18 ? As far as I can see the biggest difference is a lower first, no PTO possibilities and it’s an inch shorter. So far I can’t see a downside. :cool:

I have a NP435 in my CJ7 and I have no complaints. I dont use first gear usually around town. I like it on the trail thought.

I cant tell you how the two compare to each other never had the opportunity to drive a CJ with a T-18 .

I have a NP435 in my CJ7 and I have no complaints. I dont use first gear usually around town. I like it on the trail thought.

I cant tell you how the two compare to each other never had the opportunity to drive a CJ with a T-18 .
Did you put it in or buy it this way?

It was already in when I got it. It was out of a 3/4ton ford truck. I am a friend with the guy that put it in and he did a good job when he did it.

It was already in when I got it. It was out of a 3/4ton ford truck. I am a friend with the guy that put it in and he did a good job when he did it.

What TC? Did he use the Novak adaptor? Is the shift in about the same place as the original, did he have to rearrange any sheet metal? I am guessing it did require new drive shafts.:cool:

What TC? Did he use the Novak adaptor? Is the shift in about the same place as the original, did he have to rearrange any sheet metal? I am guessing it did require new drive shafts.:cool:

It has a Dana 300 and he needed a adaptor for it, I think he got from advance adaptors. Yes on the sheet metal on the shifter because the original was a 5sp. He had to make a new Transmission mount for it. No on the drive lines they are the ones that came out of the CJ7 .

How does the 435 shift? I have found no info on the synchronizers in this one. Are 1st and Reverse spur gears and totally unsynchronized? Are 2, 3 and 4 synchronized? :cool:

hmm from the way i understand it the T-18 with adapter will net you the same length as a T-176 , if the np-435 is one inch shorter you should be ok on the drive shafts it would shorten the front an inch and stretch the rear an inch but you'd still be ok with that wouldn't you?

hmm from the way i understand it the T-18 with adapter will net you the same length as a T-176 , if the np-435 is one inch shorter you should be ok on the drive shafts it would shorten the front an inch and stretch the rear an inch but you'd still be ok with that wouldn't you?
Hey cheep, go to bed.:cool:

IO you are right first/reverse is not synchronized. Now I can usually get the thing to go in to first when I double clutch. I do find that first is not really needed I usually run 2 through 4 which are synchronized.

IO you are right first/reverse is not synchronized. Now I can usually get the thing to go in to first when I double clutch. I do find that first is not really needed I usually run 2 through 4 which are synchronized.
Thats about what I would have guessed. I can see not needing the 6.6:1 very often. and I am guessing reverse is about as easy to shift into as 1st is?
The choice of transmissions should be easier.
The T-18 is the standard weapon of choice but the T-19 is fully synchronized and the NP435 is an inch shorter and has a lower granny. all good points. Just to confuse things further I have always been fond of the T-150 , say what you will I think it is damned handy to rock and roll from 1st to revere in the mud. There is no way that any of the four speeds will be able to rock with a trip from 2nd to reverse of a foot or two. and then the Reverse gear being someplace between 6 and 8 to 1 isn't going to set any speed records in reverse. It will definitely turn the wheels over , just not very fast. So far I think the NP 435 is the best choice of the 4 speeds for the physical size and the gear ratio.:cool:
I still have time to ponder this, it isn't happening until I get the new rear axle in. Dana 44 with air lock and hopefully disk brakes.:D

Thats about what I would have guessed. I can see not needing the 6.6:1 very often. and I am guessing reverse is about as easy to shift into as 1st is?
The choice of transmissions should be easier.
The T-18 is the standard weapon of choice but the T-19 is fully synchronized and the NP435 is an inch shorter and has a lower granny. all good points. Just to confuse things further I have always been fond of the T-150 , say what you will I think it is damned handy to rock and roll from 1st to revere in the mud. There is no way that any of the four speeds will be able to rock with a trip from 2nd to reverse of a foot or two. and then the Reverse gear being someplace between 6 and 8 to 1 isn't going to set any speed records in reverse. It will definitely turn the wheels over , just not very fast. So far I think the NP 435 is the best choice of the 4 speeds for the physical size and the gear ratio.:cool:
I still have time to ponder this, it isn't happening until I get the new rear axle in. Dana 44 with air lock and hopefully disk brakes.:D

Take it from someone who runs a granny gear T19.
The full syncro first gear is a waste of time, as you have to be going so slow before you can down shift anyway.
I suppose if you were running a highway gear to save gas it may be of some benefit. ;)

Take it from someone who runs a granny gear T19.
The full syncro first gear is a waste of time, as you have to be going so slow before you can down shift anyway.
I suppose if you were running a highway gear to save gas it may be of some benefit. ;)
Good point, and at 6.6 it will have to be pretty close to dead stop.:cool:

Good point, and at 6.6 it will have to be pretty close to dead stop.:cool:

IO just go completely all out and do the sm420 7.05 to 1 in first ;) if I ever did a 350 swap into anything it would be with that Transmission or even the SM465 because thats still a good 6.55 to 1 and you can find those things a dime a dozen everywhere, but also i havent checked lengths so you can shut me up whenever lol or find a T-98 out of an old military jeep. I still wanna get that M715 i found 6 hours away and take that hunting :D i would have a hay day.

IO just go completely all out and do the sm420 7.05 to 1 in first ;) if I ever did a 350 swap into anything it would be with that Transmission or even the SM465 because thats still a good 6.55 to 1 and you can find those things a dime a dozen everywhere, but also i havent checked lengths so you can shut me up whenever lol or find a T-98 out of an old military jeep. I still wanna get that M715 i found 6 hours away and take that hunting :D i would have a hay day.
M715i?? you think you have problems finding parts now??:cool:

M715i?? you think you have problems finding parts now??:cool:

I have the M715's ugly sister the M725, the hardest thing I've had to find are wheel cylinders.:eek:

The SM 420 is a good Transmission , but not as strong as the SM465.
I blew second gear out of one with a Fuelie 327.:eek:

The SM 420 is a good Transmission , but not as strong as the SM465.
I blew second gear out of one with a Fuelie 327.:eek:

I could have picked up a SM420 for 20 bucks the other day, just called a guy around here that has a one piece axle for the AMC20 rear end, a running AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , and a t-18a hopefully he calls me back so i can go do some shopping. Even though i look like a god damn chipmunk :mad:

I could have picked up a SM420 for 20 bucks the other day, just called a guy around here that has a one piece axle for the AMC20 rear end, a running AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , and a t-18a hopefully he calls me back so i can go do some shopping. Even though i look like a god damn chipmunk :mad:

T18A is a great Transmission if your planning to run a Jeep or Ford motor, but it seems most folks around here love the bowtie.:rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom