NP 435 vs. T-18

NP 435 vs. T-18
T18A is a great Transmission if your planning to run a Jeep or Ford motor, but it seems most folks around here love the bowtie.:rolleyes:

Id run a 429CJ in a CJ i just dont know how everything else would handle that ;) or id run a 401 with a t-18A or even a AMC 304 but i dont think i could drop a V8 in my cj if it was only pushing a 120 horse(someone in a different post stated thats all the AMC 304 's pushed back then) that just wouldnt work it would have to be closer to 250 and up :cool: or atleast cammed up and sounded like it was ready for racing at the strip ;)

Id run a 429CJ in a CJ i just dont know how everything else would handle that ;) or id run a 401 with a t-18A or even a AMC 304 but i dont think i could drop a V8 in my cj if it was only pushing a 120 horse(someone in a different post stated thats all the AMC 304 's pushed back then) that just wouldnt work it would have to be closer to 250 and up :cool: or atleast cammed up and sounded like it was ready for racing at the strip ;)

I'm on my fourth 401 & I love'em.
I've also run a 429 SCJ & it retired undefeated, I still have the heads in the barn.
The 120HP AMC 304 2V was early in the emissions emasculations, the famous 5.0 AKA. the Ford 302 V8 was also rated at 120HP at that time. Like CJ says they love to breath, more cam, intake, carb & headers will surprise you.;)

I'm on my fourth 401 & I love'em.
I've also run a 429 SCJ & it retired undefeated, I still have the heads in the barn.
The 120HP AMC 304 2V was early in the emissions emasculations, the famous 5.0 AKA. the Ford 302 V8 was also rated at 120HP at that time. Like CJ says they love to breath, more cam, intake, carb & headers will surprise you.;)

Well in a couple years after i get my degree in diesel technology, then i think im gonna start reaching into rebuilding a AMC 304 or 401 for my 7 but till then im just gonna worry about getting this AMC 232 i6 running :) sorry for hi-jacking the thread IO

T18A is a great Transmission if your planning to run a Jeep or Ford motor, but it seems most folks around here love the bowtie.:rolleyes:
I am a big fan of the ford small block but if I had an even choice of working chevy or ford , the chevy is a lot easier IMHO

IO im with you big ford fan. but personally when it comes to a CJ5 its easier to put a sbc in there. i was considering a 5.3 myself. but i think i will end up with a amc360 just so i can have her back on the road sooner. like long horn said earlier amc's love to breath. dad has one with a 360 cam headers and carb can stand it up on 2 wheels with the stock 3speed and driveline. sounds wicked too. sorry for thread jackin

For years I've run a Jeep T-18 (6:32 first gear) to a Dana 20 No adapter
needed. Now doing a frame swap I picked up a Scout Dana 300 (same low gears as a Jeep 300) no adapter. Real short combo.

For years I've run a Jeep T-18 (6:32 first gear) to a Dana 20 No adapter
needed. Now doing a frame swap I picked up a Scout Dana 300 (same low gears as a Jeep 300) no adapter. Real short combo.
If Jeep T-18 's from CJ's with 7" input shafts weren't an endangered species I could see this as an option.

Now that I have a T-18 close ratio I am at the JY and what do i find under a one ton ford truck but a NP-435 and it costs about $100. No I didn't buy it but It will be there for a while and I can always fall off the wagon and buy something else that I really don't need, just because it lands in front of me. It's like a sickness, you know what I mean?:D

Now that I have a T-18 close ratio I am at the JY and what do i find under a one ton ford truck but a NP-435 and it costs about $100. No I didn't buy it but It will be there for a while and I can always fall off the wagon and buy something else that I really don't need, just because it lands in front of me. It's like a sickness, you know what I mean?:D

Yet another great granny gear Transmission , but you need an adapter & I can't remember if a NP435 has a PTO plate.:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom