Ok, I need help to get this bug!

I daily drove mine for awhile, no top no doors, summer, fall, winter, spring.
The CJ7 with the 360 and an auto is my choice.
Welcome to the site.
your in the club with me and pete the bad <-BAD WORD-> cj owners club :laugh:

your in the club with me and pete the bad <-BAD WORD-> cj owners club :laugh:

Does admission to this club simply require DD'ing your CJ? If so, add another. I absolutely love driving this thing every day. I can't brag about the fuel mileage, as I have to fill it up every 3 days, but I consider it a fair trade for the awesome ability to climb in my topless jeep every day; its like a weekend cruise in it everywhere I go.

I'd have to say that what I have is my ideal setup. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , T-5 manual tranny and Dana 300 Transfer Case . It just don't get no better far as I'm concerned. However at some point in the future I do plan on a 4.0 head swap and an MC2100 carb upgrade. After that who knows?

Hello all!

This is my first post on the board, wanted to say hello. I am 39 years old and have wanted to own a jeep cj since I was a kid. The bug has never went away, but jobs and circumstance have kept me in vehicles I needed rather than loved.

To that end, I have decided that life is too short to wait any longer. I am selling my F250 diesel and buying that CJ I have always wanted.

I am, however, a noob to this, and I was wondering if any of you would chime in and help me with my decision!

I know I want a CJ7 . It is my favorite of the body styles. My first question is what engine????

Common engines are
AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l
four cylinder
swapped out chevy drivetrains

I always thought I would get the six cylinder, and maybe an automatic?
Since I have been looking more seriously though, I have seen some very nice jeeps with other drive trains. I know from my reading that the post CJ jeeps with four cylinders are truly underpowered. Does the same apply for the old four cylinder? I have also seen people write about how the inline six always seems to leak. Is this just a maintenance issue?

This jeep will be my daily driver. I am incredibly excited about it. Can yall please chime in and guide me in purchasing my first jeep?

Thanks so much!
Mrbowdeadly (Jason Hubbard :chug:)

Welcome Jason, I too am new to the forum and relatively new to jeeping at least civilian jeeping (have earned many a sore butt in an M38A1 back in the sixties in Korea). I suggest that you get ahold of Moses Ludel's book the Jeep Owners Bible. In that he recommends the 78 or 79 CJ5 or 7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ci six and the four speed. He goes on to say that the only weak element is the AMC20 rear but that the axles can be swapped out. I just purchased a 79 CJ7 with the six and a three speed. Like most Jeeps of that vintage it is a "drivable project". An oil leak that make the garage floor look like the LaBrea Tar Pit. Wipers don't work, heater doesn't work, turn signals gone. But all fixable. Good luck with your search.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom