over heating

over heating

fishnchips

Jeeper
Thanks
I have an 86 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , the engine has less than 700 miles on the rebuid. I have just installed a new 3 core radiator, went to super lift in hot springs this weekend and I am having the same problem of over heating as with the old radiator. When I start up a hard climb or long slow climb where the rpm's get to around 1800 to 2000 the temp climbs and the oil pressure goes to 5 psi. or less. The thing will get as hot as 250 to 260. I have 2 electric fans, and I am running the serp. belt, with the right water pump. Any advise would help very much................

Ronnie

I honestly don't have a solution but it sounds like an oil/lubrication problem rather than a coolant problem.
Have you tried letting it idle on an incline such as this with no load?? I would be interested in oil pressure and coolant temp.:cool:

I honestly don't have a solution but it sounds like an oil/lubrication problem rather than a coolant problem.
Have you tried letting it idle on an incline such as this with no load?? I would be interested in oil pressure and coolant temp.:cool:
When I am setting on incline, after the engine warms up, the oil pressure is low.

Ronnie

you did replace the oil pump with the rebuild?:cool:
I gotta ask.:eek:

Unless you have a huge air bubble that is starving the water pump on an incline.:cool:

Most new rebuilds are tight & run hot to warm during the break in period, that being said:

IO's got a good point, because of the low pressure issue.
since you have a new pump, did it come with a new pick-up tube & screen or are using a different one it could cause an issue, like being to short. If you are re-using the stocker you need to make sure it's pressed in well & not clogged with trash.
Then there is the thermostat.
Another problem area is the suction side radiator hose can collapse shutting off the coolant supply. I always like to run a spring inside to prevent that problem.

To much ignition timing can increase the chance of running hot.

Good Luck with your Jeep:cool:

Another thing, I'm not trying to insult your mechanical skills.
But I have seen a guy wire up his fans backwards, this gave him a little over heating problem.
He was a aggie though.:eek:

LOL

Another thing, I'm not trying to insult your mechanical skills.
But I have seen a guy wire up his fans backwards, this gave him a little over heating problem.
He was a aggie though.:eek:

LOL
I have been known to do things like that, but so far not on this one. I think I will try hood louvers to help exhaust the hot air out of the hood.

Ronnie

let us know haw the louver thing goes and who does them for you. :D

I have been known to do things like that, but so far not on this one. I think I will try hood louvers to help exhaust the hot air out of the hood.

Ronnie

let us know haw the louver thing goes and who does them for you. :D

X2 on that, I thought about having some louvers punched in my hood a while back, but never found anyone to do it.:(

I think I will try hood louvers to help exhaust the hot air out of the hood.

Ronnie

My jeep runs real warm up inclines also, (I have pleanty of oil pressure though.) I've tryed everything I can think of, including hood louvers. Even though you can see and feel hot air comming out of them, the engine temp. didn't improve any.:mad:
Sorry no good news here, but hey, if you figure it out let us know.

I bought an high performance aluminum radiator from "Absolute Radiator"
800-536-4242 for $338.00
I was going for price as I had never heard of them, but it is a great product & cured my over heating issues even before I got around the bending up a shroud.
Here at my place the temp is regularly in the 100's in the late summer.
Granter no mountains either, but you would figure increasing altitude would just make you run richer which would be cooler not hotter.

When you did the rebuild, did you use plasic gap? double check main and rod bearing clearance? I have to go with the earlier question on oil pump, sump lift ? did you use a aftermarket deep sump oil pan ?

I use chiltons bearing oil when I do rebuilds. I also use a anti friction treatment called IXL, here is their link:

Lubrication Products - IXL Anti-friction metal conditioner

Just offering some thoughts before cut louvers in your hood...... Good luck on resolving the over heating.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom