Possible motor swap idea

Possible motor swap idea

mcampbell545

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1965 CJ5, F-Head 4cyl, T-90 3 speed

(not a jeep, sorry) 1985 F150, 300 I6, borg warner t-18 4 speed tranny, also stock for now.
Hey guys, i just recently bought a 1965 CJ5 from my uncle for $500, being that it's still mud season up here, I haven't yet moved it to my yard. As far as I know the motor runs, providing that i put some basics into it (starter, maybe fuel pump, etc.) BUT, I want to do some wheeling with this jeep and I'm not sure if the little stock F-Head is going to give me the cahones I may want. So this is where the possible motor swap comes in. My daily driver is a 1985 F150 with the legendary 300 I6, and the original motor is in need of a rebuild, so I am swapping out to another 300. Anyone know if it would be practical to rebuild the old straight 6 to swap into the jeep?
Thanks for your input ahead of time :D

There was a member on this board that had a 300 L6 in his CJ, I don't remember his name, but I remember the pictures. It was a really tight fit though, so tight there wasn't enough room between the radiator and the pulley system to fit a fan, he had to have a pusher fan between the grill and the radiator.

Also, with a CJ5 's shorter wheelbase the next issue is going to be Transmission options in order to accomodate front and rear drivelines... Not exactly my area of expertise, just some food for thought though.

I'm pretty sure it would be to long for your short nosed cj.:(

That's what i was thinking too, it's a reeeaaal long motor to stuff into that little CJ.. would be pretty cool if it DID fit though

As the others said, the AMC I6 would be a tight fit, if it will fit at all. That is why Jeep extended the nose of the CJ 3” in 1972 in order to be able to install the I6. The common swap for the 1971 and older CJs is the V6. The odd fire Dauntless Buick 225 V6 225 (a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 motor) in fact was a factory option starting in 1966. The motor has a wicked heavy flywheel which equates to great low end torque. Also, modern GM V6s are a popular swap too.

It's actually a Ford I6 that i have access to (probably even bigger) but I think if i do go with a motor swap it will probably be a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 , sounds like my best bet.

I-6 will not fit a 65 now a V-6 would on the other hand
The 134 F head is a strong eng it will get you about anywhere with no problems only thing it will be a slow ride on hwy since there not built for speed

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom