Power distribution

Power distribution

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
I was in need of relays for the headlights and the electric fan,
fuses would be cool too. so while cruising the JY it dawns on me, why reinvent the wheel. This is the power distribution block from a 92 XJ. This block gives me six 30 amp relays and about 15 fuse circuits. With a little bit of hammering, cutting and strategic bending it fits quite nicely on the inside fender, it almost looks like it belongs there. The cover is a long way from water proof but it may at least be mud resistant.:cool:

Holly :dung: there's a lot of wires comming out of that thing.:eek:

Keep us informed on how this works, could be a cheap upgrade.:)

:popcorn:

Nice setip

Wow you could open up a fuse store on the trail!

Holly :dung: there's a lot of wires comming out of that thing.:eek:

Keep us informed on how this works, could be a cheap upgrade.:)

:popcorn:

At first glance you are right but after you sort out the common and route power through fuses it’s not so bad. And it cost a whopping $15 with relays and as many fuses as I could put in. I got way too many 60 amp fuses, what was I thinking?:confused:

At first glance you are right but after you sort out the common and route power through fuses it’s not so bad. And it cost a whopping $15 with relays and as many fuses as I could put in. I got way too many 60 amp fuses, what was I thinking?:confused:

Hey IO can ya get me one of those for that price? I'll pay shipping.:D

Hey IO can ya get me one of those for that price? I'll pay shipping.:D
I will see what I can do next JY run but there is no shortage of XJ's.
I did spend some time depinning and replacing the relay and fuse wires with those from another box. to get at least 14 Ga. load wires on the relays and large fuses.:cool:

I will see what I can do next JY run but there is no shortage of XJ's.
I did spend some time depinning and replacing the relay and fuse wires with those from another box. to get at least 14 Ga. load wires on the relays and large fuses.:cool:

The JYs around here want $25+ $4 a relay. Next time ya make a run think about me.:notworthy:

Geezum, IO... that looks nearly... CREDIBLE! :) :) :)

A couple of update shots, with the wires sorted out
6 fused relays and one fused circuit, I did nothing with the small fuses but that would be 6 more.
It looks almost like it belongs there, not to wire the lights.

A couple more additions to the project. Grounding blocks, brass bar with threaded studs. The body is grounded as well as it ever was but I am running all load grounds directly back to the negative terminal. This one is to transfer through the fire wall, conveniently down by the fuse block.

and my new alternator, I was dreading the modification of the mount but it was the easiest thing I have done lately. The CS144 is about 5/8" larger radius than stock so the mount was stretched 5/8" and the bottom engine block mounting holes were dropped 5/8", a walk in the park.
so you can see how much larger the new is compared to the old
The modified mount on the new alternator

The new alternator on the side of the motor.
the Rush power systems 140 amp with remote, adjustable, voltage regulator.

Looks good man.:chug:

Fine-lookin' rig you're putting together there, IO. But... are those grounding blocks BRASS or COPPER? Or copper-plated brass? Either way, they're a dang nice touch & give ya a lot better ground than most of us.

Fine-lookin' rig you're putting together there, IO. But... are those grounding blocks BRASS or COPPER? Or copper-plated brass? Either way, they're a dang nice touch & give ya a lot better ground than most of us.
copper bars, brass studs, drilled threaded and soldered.

Very serious, very cool. Seriously cool. :)

IO, is that fancy new alt. and voltage reg. for your new onboard welder ?

IO, is that fancy new alt. and voltage reg. for your new onboard welder ?

Nope, this one is just for the lights, winch, heater, radio, radiator fan(’s), Air compressor and anything else I decide I need. The one for the welder will be a POS out of the JY with the voltage regulator removed and a Ford non avalanche diode pack wired in remotely. I don’t see myself building a drill stem fence with this so it won’t even have a belt on it until it is needed and I am hoping it will do a half way decent job of running at least one type and size welding rod. That is still a ways down the list.
Right now all I can think about is that the days are warm, the ground is soft and the CJ is in the shop with no dash, no seats, and no ignition system that works. It is time to be driving it not working on it.:mad:

OK so lets have a little update on the XJ PDC. It just didn't get it to work, too many wires and none of them the right size. If someone can find new un crimped terminals for these it will be a killer job . Until then I have decided to be a bit more creative.

six 60A relays twelve fuses and terminal main. Everything is water resistant at worst, under hood drivers side fender, not in the way of anything but the smog system.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom