Pullimg tranny

Pullimg tranny

curtscat

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258, T176, Dana 300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1991 Mercury Cougar.
I need to pull my tranny out. Do I need to remove the Transfer Case first, and then the tranny? or both at the same time. I will be using a hoist and tranny jack.

Thanks.
Curt.

I nearly always pull them out as one unit.

I always thought it's easiest to remove the TXCase and then the Tranny. If you try to remove them both at the same time they will be very heavy, even with a tranny lift. Easier to maneuver then. And especially when you are reinstalling the tranny you don't want the 80 pound TCase hanging off the back as you aline the tranny.
That reminds me. On this site I heard a great tip from Old Dog (I hope it was him) that said to use studs in the bellhousing to help line up the tranny. If you put studs in the bellhousing where the bolts should go then you can install the tranny easily. Then use nuts on the studs. If you want you can then replace each stud with a bolt, one at a time after the tranny is in place.

I like the one at a time thing too. It balances a lot easier, and I am a gray haired old fat man.:cool:
The studs make stabbing the pilot so much easier.
My favorite tranny trick is for removing the pilot bushing. find a dowel, bolt, rod. a loose sliding fit in the center hole of the bushing. Fill the center hole of the bushing with wheel bearing grease, put the dowel in the hole and give it a good rap with a hammer. The hydraulics will push the bushing out so slick you will be tempted to drive the bushing back in so you can do it again.:cool:
Don't try to use a tight fit dowel, something like a 1/2" in a 9/16" hole works quite well.
Don't forget your safety glasses!!:cool:

On this site I heard a great tip from Old Dog (I hope it was him) that said to use studs in the bellhousing to help line up the tranny.
No, that was IOPort
Sorry:eek:

no big deal, I just hope someone remembers it and uses it. I keep my set of studs in my tool box, I think they are 6" bolts with the head cut off.:cool:

No, that was IOPort
Sorry:eek:

the question depends on the Transfer Case and tranny.
I know a D18 you take them out as a unit so you do not drop bearings in the internals. Now more modern units I cannot say. I know a Dana 20 and a D18 share design.but I think it is ok to take them apart separate.
If you can, do them separated as it will be a lot easier on you.

this will be one of the stories you tell your grandkids in 30 years.:D

i pulled mine last november, and done it with them together with just a floor jack and a couple of straps, the trick is to get it balanced. if you got a tranny jack you shouldn't have any problems at all

Again, many thanks guys. I'll need to take a closer look when I have it in the air. I will more than likely replace the seals in the Transfer Case while I'm at it.

Curt.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom