Question Regarding a 1983 CJ rear end. I need some help!

Question Regarding a 1983 CJ rear end. I need some help!
another suggestion would be to not use the yj tranny it should be either the ax-5, or peugot ba/10 which is as bad, if not worse than a T-4 /SR4 . here is some tranny info you can pick through Jeeptech.com's Jeep Transmission Page

another suggestion would be to not use the yj tranny it should be either the ax-5, or peugot ba/10 which is as bad, if not worse than a T-4 /SR4 . here is some tranny info you can pick through Jeeptech.com's Jeep Transmission Page

AX-5s lived behind 4 bangers. If it is an AX15 then it is very much worth using I don't know when the ax15s started making an appearence but I think it was in the late 80s

The 87 YJ used a Peugeot BA10/5 for a manual tranny behind the 6cyl. This thing is weaker then the T-5 and more expensive to rebuild. The AX5 went behind the 4cyl Wrangler of that year.

Neither of these tranny's will be desirable behind what you are using.

If it's an auto, its a AW30-40 (Aisin Warner).

AX-5s lived behind 4 bangers. If it is an AX15 then it is very much worth using I don't know when the ax15s started making an appearence but I think it was in the late 80s
thats why i said either or, didn't know which it would have just knew it would have one of em.

Actually....it's an '83 so it will be a widetrack axle.
If it's under a stock 4cyl, it will have 4.10 gears, under a 6cyl, it will have 2.72, 3.54, or 3.73 gears.
Unless I missed it the original poster hadn't mention whether his CJ is a 5 or 7. The 83 CJ5 came from the factory with narrow track axles.

Also, from my experience the CJ4 cyl more often then not came with 4.10 gearing if mated to a 5 speed and 3.54 if mated with a 4 speed.

Hope this helps.

Unless I missed it the original poster hadn't mention whether his CJ is a 5 or 7. The 83 CJ5 came from the factory with narrow track axles.

Good point, hadn't thought about it possibly being a 5 :rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom