Revival of 360 that has been sitting a few years

Revival of 360 that has been sitting a few years

ColoradoCJ7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current - 1978 J20 401 auto, 1981 CJ7 304 5 speed and 2007 JK Uunlimited Rubicon all running 35" or 37" tires
Previous -1979 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1997 TJ, 1990 YJ
I just picked up a 1982 CJ7 that the owner had put in a 360 but it has not been run for at least 2-3 years and maybe not 4-5 years.

What steps should I take to make sure I have the best chance of getting it going without doing any damage.

I am looking for suggestions.....I know drop the fluids, and replace, squirt some PB into the spark plug openings then turn crank by hand for a few revolutions, replace plugs, but beyond that am a little lost.

I also planned to run a fresh fuel line and filter to a gas can until everything is working then drop the tank and see what needs done there.

I am not looking to do a complete tear down as I am only bringing this one alive and moving it on to the next owner to save it from the scrap heap.

I just picked up a 1982 CJ7 that the owner had put in a 360 but it has not been run for at least 2-3 years and maybe not 4-5 years.

What steps should I take to make sure I have the best chance of getting it going without doing any damage.

I am looking for suggestions.....I know drop the fluids, and replace, squirt some PB into the spark plug openings then turn crank by hand for a few revolutions, replace plugs, but beyond that am a little lost.

I also planned to run a fresh fuel line and filter to a gas can until everything is working then drop the tank and see what needs done there.

I am not looking to do a complete tear down as I am only bringing this one alive and moving it on to the next owner to save it from the scrap heap.

Sounds like you have the basic plan of what I would do with 2 exceptions. PB blaster is not a lubricant as much.. if theres nothing that suggests that the motors locked up I would give each cylinder a good spray down of WD-40 then turn it by hand. I would borrow, rent or buy a oil priming tool pull the covers and turn the pump until you see oil comming from each push rod.

also when you drop the tank use compressed air to blow any :dung: backwards out of the line.

Other then those 3 things give her hell and good luck.

Change the oil filter before you prime (which I agree with). This will also push the :dung: oil left in the lines and oil pump out of the system. To make a very easy priming tool, stop by a scrap yard and pick up an AMC V8 dist (ask for a bad one - they might even give it to you). Just cut the shaft off on the op side so you can attach a drill. Remove the cam gear and BAM - you have a perfect AMC V8 primer... :)

I had one in my CJ5 great engine but the oiling system left me on the side of the road at the time i was amc ignorent lol but all in all the oiling set up on an amc can be a little nerve racking if the timing case/oil pump has excessive wear as a precautious method before cranking you can drain half the oil out replace with kerosene take the primer tool spin it by hand first to make sure theres no grit in the passages you will feel it if there is. If it doesnt catch or stick a little put a small drill to the primer and spin just like if u were primering actual oil it should build up like oil and the kerosene will flush out the oiling systom then drain it and put in fresh and new filter. Like I said im a little nervous when it comes the amc oiling . But when youve done all your tune up and oil changes watch the pressure it will climb to around 40-50 cold goal is once good and hot to maintain 30-40 it will drop at idle considerably prob around 15-20 if doesnt drop below that your good to go.

Oh you can also put marvel mystery oil in the cyls. let set over night and turn crank by hand as well. This method ive found works pretty good too. If you should decide to rebuild the 360 northern auto parts has a pretty good deal on master rebuild kits with good parts real affordable.

A little ATF in the cylinders will clean up the cylinder walls and free up any compression rings that need it.. A very effective way to prime the oil pump is to coat the gears with vaseline...

A little ATF in the cylinders will clean up the cylinder walls and free up any compression rings that need it.. A very effective way to prime the oil pump is to coat the gears with vaseline...

X2 but its not coat them it's pack the housing with vasoline.. And that's per the FSM not just personal preference

X2 but its not coat them it's pack the housing with vasoline.. And that's per the FSM not just personal preference
Yep. Pack the housing full, best way is to dip the gears in the vaseline jar.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom