Serpentine Belt Kit? 1973 258

Dan0

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 AMC Gremlin
258 (4.2L) I6
Engine Code: 601 A 10
I've got a 1973 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Liter) I6 with A/C I'd like to convert from V-Belt to to Serpentine.

Is there a kit out there? Can this be done?

Thanks!

Here's what it looks like today. The AC Pulley is messed up. I'd put a new compressor in but... it's not high on the list of priorities.

Last edited:
I have to ask why, whats wrong with the v belt system :confused:

Well... It just seems I've always had problems with the belts on this car. Too much or too little tension.

And... I like serpentine belt systems.

Last edited:
Well... It just seems I've always had problems with the belts on this car. Too much or too little tension.

And... I like serpentine belt systems.

Fair enough. I just like having 2 belts drive the water pump, just incase one breaks. Thats just me though.
I don't know if anyone makes a kit or not.
I did a search and came up with these.http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/search.php?searchid=107784

Wow!!! Too bad it's the 4.0... Little different arrangement.

serpentine2_40.jpg

The crank snout is different length on a V belt vs a Serp belt.

Here's what it looks like today. The AC Pulley is messed up. I'd put a new compressor in but... it's not high on the list of priorities.

Wow a power steering pump on the right side. But where is the water pump belt belt going? To a smog pump? Alternator. My alternator is where your AC pump is. Interesting. A serpentine system would be neat but complex.

Wow a power steering pump on the right side. But where is the water pump belt belt going? To a smog pump? Alternator. My alternator is where your AC pump is. Interesting. A serpentine system would be neat but complex.

Long service life and excellent belt wrap are the only advantages to a serpentine system. Major job to switch with major fabrication required. It would be easier and cheaper to swap in the entire 4.0L engine.

There is nothing wrong with v-belts keep them tensioned and aligned properly and you will get years of trouble free service from them.

Got any more pics of your setup? Never seen a 73 with AC. Whats below the power-steering pump? Smog Pump?

You can just barely see the alternator on the low left side of the engine, under the AC compressor. The belt is not on the alternator so it kind of looks like there could be something under the power steering pump... but there's nothing. This was pre smog pump.

It's a 2 belt system. One belt goes to the crank, water pump and alternator. The other goes to the crank, AC, and Power steering. The AC pulley is trashed so I bypassed it and have the belt just go from the crank to power steering.

I've always had problems with belt tension on this car. One of the nice things about a serp system is that it's pretty easy to get the belts on & off. Another great thing is the spring loaded tensioner. I think I did spot a serp system somewhere that didn't have a spring tensioner. You manually adjusted the tension. That would be a waste.

Now if there was such a thing as a spring tensioner for v-belts... I'd be fine with that!

I rebuilt the engine (had it short blocked) around 1989. We've only got about 50k miles on it. It's been sitting the last few years. And I think I'm ready to get it up and going again.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get some more pictures.

You can just barely see the alternator on the low left side of the engine, under the AC compressor. The belt is not on the alternator so it kind of looks like there could be something under the power steering pump... but there's nothing. This was pre smog pump.

It's a 2 belt system. One belt goes to the crank, water pump and alternator. The other goes to the crank, AC, and Power steering. The AC pulley is trashed so I bypassed it and have the belt just go from the crank to power steering.

I've always had problems with belt tension on this car. One of the nice things about a serp system is that it's pretty easy to get the belts on & off. Another great thing is the spring loaded tensioner. I think I did spot a serp system somewhere that didn't have a spring tensioner. You manually adjusted the tension. That would be a waste.

Now if there was such a thing as a spring tensioner for v-belts... I'd be fine with that!

I rebuilt the engine (had it short blocked) around 1989. We've only got about 50k miles on it. It's been sitting the last few years. And I think I'm ready to get it up and going again.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get some more pictures.

How are you adjusting your belts? New belts stretch a little, you need to come back and read adjust them after about 100miles. Set it for 1in of deflection and it should be good for years and thousands of miles. I haven't touched mine in 10K miles.

Are your pulleys worn? Is the bottom shiny? The belt should never touch the bottom of the pulley. 1/2in and 3/8in v belts are commonly used in automotive applications do you have the right size?

Thanks - Sounds like good information.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom