Should I Get A D44 or Keep the 20?

Should I Get A D44 or Keep the 20?

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
So I have been hunting for a set of 3.54 geared w/t axles. I know 3.54 factory gears in the w/t is very rare but so Far I have found a Dana 30 front with it now I need the rear.

I found a guy with an 86 and CJ7 with a Dana 44 rear. Unfortunately his axles are stamp 49-18 so they are 2.72 gears. My question is if I am going to end up going through the trouble of regearing a rear(by this I mean paying a shop to do it) Would it be worth my while to buy a Dana 44 over a AMC20 to regear. Also if the Dana 44 in the 86 cjs is stronger then how much should I be willing to pay for a 2.72 geared one? I know that a 2.72 geared "set" of Dana 30 and AMC20 rear is practically worthless but wasnt sure about a 44:chug:

To answer your question I need to know if you have one piece axles in your AMC20 . Also how hard are you on your Jeep?
The AMC20 has a reputation as a weak axle. Thats mainly because of the 2 piece axle design. You need to install one piece axles to make the AMC20 a good axle.
The AMC20 also has weak axle tubes. They can bend and droop where the tubes go into the pumpkin. An axle brace is needed to make the AMC as strong as the Dana 44 .
All in all it would be better to swap axles even if it means regearing the Dana 44 . Now's your chance to install a locker.
If you were going to stick with the AMC20 wouldn't you want a locker anyway? It looks like you would have quite a list of things to do to your 20 to turn it into a good axle.
I say get the 44

I agree with Dave, if you are going to be dumping money in an axle it might as well be the 44.

One thing you need to add into the equasion if going from 2.73 to 3.54 will be a new carrier and of course that opens another can of worms to figure witch way to go.

One thing you need to add into the equation if going from 2.73 to 3.54 will be a new carrier and of course that opens another can of worms to figure witch way to go.
Now's the time to get a locker. My understanding is both axles are open.

Take the Dana 44 over the CJ AMC20 any day of the week. The axle tubes on the 20 are very thin walled and prone to bending, the differential housing tends to crack where the tubes are pressed in, and if the two piece axels haven’t been changed out to one piece that will need to be done too. Do not spend money to re-gear a CJ AMC20 axle unless you plan on doing only mild wheeling with modest tires. You will spend between $800 to $1200 to have a shop rework an axle.

Now's the time to get a locker. My understanding is both axles are open.

I think 3.07 is the cut off regearing the carrier so either axle will need it.
As pointed out if you are starting with an AMC with 2 peice axles there is $300 difference the 44 won't need.

Take the Dana 44 over the CJ AMC20 any day of the week. The axle tubes on the 20 are very thin walled and prone to bending, the differential housing tends to crack where the tubes are pressed in, and if the two piece axels haven’t been changed out to one piece that will need to be done too. Do not spend money to re-gear a CJ AMC20 axle unless you plan on doing only mild wheeling with modest tires. You will spend between $800 to $1200 to have a shop rework an axle.

800 to 1200? hmm maybe I will keep waiting for a complete axle then.. Not looking for a heavy wheeler or anything so I don't think a rear locker would be the best for my setup. I wouldnt mind one in the front Since I DD. Both are open diff. The 20 I have is 2 piece.

800 to 1200? hmm maybe I will keep waiting for a complete axle then.
It might be quite a wait for a Dana 44 with the correct gearing.
As for a locker. I favour selectable lockers, especially for daily drivers. Yes they cost more but they are worth it when on road.

It might be quite a wait for a Dana 44 with the correct gearing.
As for a locker. I favour selectable lockers, especially for daily drivers. Yes they cost more but they are worth it when on road.

What would a 2.72 Dana 44 be worth considering there will be what looks like 800 bucks left to put in it

What would a 2.72 Dana 44 be worth considering there will be what looks like 800 bucks left to put in it
You can get axles for a couple hundred bucks but it would be very unlikely that it would be set up with the right gearing and diff that you want.
When it comes to axles it is very common for people to spend very little on the axle and alot on getting it geared up and set up to install.

You can get axles for a couple hundred bucks but it would be very unlikely that it would be set up with the right gearing and diff that you want.
When it comes to axles it is very common for people to spend very little on the axle and alot on getting it geared up and set up to install.

Right so since I have found a Dana 44 with 2.72 how much should I be willig to pay for it? Also will the carrier from any Dana 44 work? The onE I linked came from a j10 pickup

There are at least 3 different spline counts on the inner axle of various Dana 44 's

You may get around the above problem by replacing the spider gears to match your axles though. I would do some serious research though before assembling used parts from various 44 vintages.

Right so since I have found a Dana 44 with 2.72 how much should I be willig to pay for it?
$200 or $300
Sasquash has a good point. Make sure the spline count matches.
also I didn't think the Dana 44 was an option in '86. Was that swapped in from something else?

30/35 = scrap
CJ 20 = Junk
8.8 = mmm ehhh
Dana 44 's = Ok
FSJ 20 = good
9" = like better
D60's = me like more
FF 14 = bread winner

If I were to go with small axles I'd go with a 44 front and a 9" rear especially if I were to run 35" or smaller tires and wheeled lightly. Most times on the various jeep forums you can find complete sets already built for good to great prices.

If you were local I could have hooked you up
have both a dana 35 3:55 and a Dana 44 3:55
there both just sitting here waiting for a new home:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom