Sputter and then backfire issue

Sputter and then backfire issue

OEM1984CJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 258 w/T176
Ok, 84 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 4pd. I have had this problem since owned but seems worse now. With the original Carter and ignition setup when I get down to about 1/4 tank on gauge is starts sputtering like it is out of gas. I pump on the pedal and it sputs and sputs and I stop and turn it off or add fuel and it seems to run fine. Done this for a couple of months. I run 4-5 tanks of gas through it with no problems. I then change the ignition system to the TFI with the ford swap and also replace the carter with a MC2100 and runs fine for another 3-4 tanks. Then coming home from work tonight with just under a 1/4 tank is starts sputtering under a load uphill in 4th , then I downshift and it stops then starts in 3rd. I pump the gas and it runs fine again for a minute then sputters again and then backfires out the tailpipe. It does this for about 10 miles home on backroads and I stop and fill the tank to almost full. Starts right up and then starts sputtering again before I pull away from the pump. All the resot of the 5 miles home sputtering and backfiring out the pipe. I get it home and raise the hood and it idles fine but when you idle it up just a tad and hold the speed it starts sputtering again. You can rev it high and it does fine but holding a steady throttle it sputters.

I still have the elec fuel pump in line the PO had so I plug it in and it still does it either way. I have never seen this before and kinda lost.

any help? Is the fuel line clogged/or tank trashy? It seems to run a little better with the manual choke on and not sputter but have not tried to drive it that way yet.

any ideas? sorry so long post.

So I get in it this morning and drive 15 miles down the road and it runs perfect like nothing is wrong. Its really wierd. I ran it up to operating temp figuring it might be some type of vapor lock but it runs fine. Hmmm

You may be right about vapor lock. It sounds like the problem only happens when your engine temp gets up there.
What confuses me is the backfire. That could mean a timing issue. You might want to get out the timing light.

It might be running out of gas, cj gas gauges can be off sometimes.
It can backfire if it running way lean (no gas).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom