squelaing noise from drive train

squelaing noise from drive train

dirtybird

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
69 cj5 duantless v6
i have this noise coming from somewhere sounded to me like a bearing going out on drivers side front wheel

this morning took front wheel off and installled new bearings and races (if you are having trouble finding the set like i did tell your local parts store to enter set45 into computer and that should pull up the right bearing (assuming you have the same stock axle as i do)both bearings (inner and outer) where the same part) in this process i decided to replace shoes as well and fix the leaking seal (bought when i noticed leak) behind brake backing plate in doing so i broke the brake hose and the nuts where stuck on the "s" line from hose to drum (remade new line with a line bender and new fittings not a big deal if u have some inginuity) the brake hose was a pain to locate as i wanted this fixed now not later after an hour at the parts store found line (same as an 68 el camino) part# bh71319-orielly and h71319-advance 88207-autozone)

my real reason for writing this is because i still have a noise sounds like a bad bearing to me but i don't know i can not figure this out could it be my rear axle shaft bearing?? my tires squeal in turns but i only hear this noise in high speed turns if i shake the steering wheel back and forth at high speed and the faster i go the more frequent the noise or is it not even a bearing and something else (high speed is 45-55 for this old jeep)

just drove jeep around again at speeds above thirty if i turn the wheel left a little driver side front wheel makes a noise that sounds to me like bad wheel bearing same goes for right, turn the wheel right passenger side front does the same thing (only difference, higher pitch from where i am sitting)

i was thinking while drive new bearings seam to over 'spindle" easy could my bearings be slipping on the spindle? did i tighten my nuts to tight? are my nuts to loose? what could cause this noise?

i can almost guarantee that if i drove this to a shop and they did a test drive they would say bad wheel bearings help, me to understand what u might know or hell even your theories

this is a real puzzle for me, i am rambling trying to think of what else it could be......

p.s the el camine brake hoses work as they were the only hoses i could get from my local parts store same day that had two female ends and were about 12" long only problem i ran into was the brackets that hold the brake line/brake hose in place at frame and at wheel were round

stock cj hose ends are round
el camino hose ends had some weird hex shape

they didnt fit into round holes on brackets took a small grinder wheel (on dremel tool as it was the first tool i saw that i knew would do the job) and made it as round as possible fit perfect in frame bracket, at wheel bracket i took it off as it was a tighter fit took a step drill and enlarged the hole one step (be sure not to go too much, as the hose will just push right through the bracket, fit perfect with only minor mods

i am sure there are other tools that could be used such as:
die grinder
bench grinder
file
whatever u have that u can control well and not butcher the whole fitting

checked pre-load and second nut according to some other forums and other posts still having same problem????? maybe i have seen to many wheel bearings go out and have heard alot of bad ones squeal but the noise i hear sounds just like bad wheel bearings or the bearing is rotating on spindle checked preload couldn't tell if the bearings were spinning on spindle or not probably cuase i didnt drive enough to do damage to new bearings or more damage (if previous bearings were slipping on spindle)

how can i stop it from slipping?

read other posts a lot said to use locktite but i don't want to do that cause they said it would take more to get them off when trying to replace when the time comes again and i don't want to make anything harder then it has to be as 50 yrs of age and a number of po's have helpeed out enough already

just want to make it as right as possible (dont really want to change spindles)

Have you checked the U joints on the front axels? Sounds like you've got the bearings double if not triple checked. For that matter, I'd recommend taking a look at all the U joints for the possible cause of your squealing noise.

Spindle bearing maybe.

i have considered both of those but when i shake the wheel back and forth at speeds of 30+ would that give me a different pitch squeal (left is low pitch right is high pitch)??

Typically. That is a common way to diagnose wheel bearing noise. I've never found that on vehicles with tapered rollers though, just newer vehicles that use sealed ball bearings.

The spindle bearings shouldnt be doing anything unless you are in 4 wheel drive, right?

The hub is the portion that has the wheel studs on it; it has two tapered roller bearings that ride on the spindle. The spindle is bolted to the knuckle and has a small bearing inside of it that the axle rides on. So this shouldn't be spinning unless you are in 4wheel drive. You'll have to take the spindle off and look inside. I really don't think this should be making noise unless the axles are spinning.

Maybe make sure that the hubs aren't locked in and you are spinning the axles while you are driving around.

hubs are not locked and i did not find a spindle bearing only a brass sleeve that the axle shafts rides on it is a snug fit plus i have searched and the internet and could not find a replacement spindle bearing for a 1969 CJ5 does this sound right as far as i can tell i don't even think if i took out the "brass bearing" that a new roller bearing would fit there is not enough space and the brass bearing appears to be about an 1" or so long and 1/4" thick

if i need to post pics i will but i really don't feel like taking it apart that far again

Id check quadratek or one of the other jeep parts suppliers for a parts diagram.

Its possible that your jeep came with a brass bushing rather than a bearing.

Still shouldn't be the cause of the noise unless the front shafts are spinning.

what are the chances its my warn locking hubs only things that will spin in 2wd on front end are
spindle bearings
warn hubs right??

search the world wide web and could not find a diagram but i did find replacement bushings although my bushings looked find and like jasonmark said would not really matter anyways because it would only spin on those bushings when i four wheel drive which most likely be at a low speed anyways right???

starting to wonder if i should center punch spindle but before i do i should mark both bearings to see which ones are spinning if they even are and then center punch right??

the thing that bugs me the most about this is for as long as i have been able to turn wrenches i have me and my dad never paid anybody to repair anything not even the the block we swapped out on my old 96 dodge p/u i just don't understand why this is so difficult to wrap my head around

Following what you just said, worst case scenario run it til' something blows.

I don't think there is anything in the hub that should be squealing either.

Unless its something weird like the axle slides out a little and is the hub cover is rubbing on it.

You could try getting everything really clean; if its a metal on metal squealing you'll be able to see it. If the bearings are spinning on the spindle, you should have seen some serious blueing on the spindle and bearing. Probably some metal moving around too.

Maybe try leaving the hub cover off too; but Id think you could see the end of the axle or back side of the hub cover shiny.

Could be the hub seal squealing, but I'm guessing you changed those?

Its not the PS belt squealing is it?

Dont think it is the power steering pump cuase it makes noise at speed not rpm
My only fear is i tow the jeep to the hunting lease 1 hr one way when I do drive the jeep it is usually down the the road about 45 max mph and probably at most 20 minutes at a time on The road
Just don't w ant something to happen to it while I am driving Down The road in the middle o nowhere
You know what I mean?

Dont think it is the power steering pump cuase it makes noise at speed not rpm
My only fear is i tow the jeep to the hunting lease 1 hr one way when I do drive the jeep it is usually down the the road about 45 max mph and probably at most 20 minutes at a time on The road
Just don't w ant something to happen to it while I am driving Down The road in the middle o nowhere
You know what I mean?

:)Dirty
1969 CJ5 do you still have the enclosed U-Joint Dana 27 front axle? Have you checked the grease in there? Some of these early axles had Rzeppa Universal joints and some had a Spicer or Bendiz style U-Joints enclosed in that housing......that housing should have fill plugs on each side and require grease............if there dry they sing like a Coyote!
:D:D:D:D

I filled them with wheel bearing grease when I had everything apart doing the brakes and wheel bearings not sure on the type of I joint I have big they are a closed knuckle and I did pack a bit of grease inside after I filled them gear oil and it leaked out the back of them over night of that's me real problem what can I do I stop it or should not worry

Just a thought after writing all this those joints should not turn unless I am
In four well drive though right?

I should also add that only the driver side was "singing" before I made repairs and now both sides are doing it driver side was doing it before and no change but now passenger side is doing it and it seems to be quieter

Last edited:
I filled them with wheel bearing grease when I had everything apart doing the brakes and wheel bearings not sure on the type of I joint I have big they are a closed knuckle and I did pack a bit of grease inside after I filled them gear oil and it leaked out the back of them over night of that's me real problem what can I do I stop it or should not worry

Just a thought after writing all this those joints should not turn unless I am
In four well drive though right?

I should also add that only the driver side was "singing" before I made repairs and now both sides are doing it driver side was doing it before and no change but now passenger side is doing it and it seems to be quieter

:)Dirty,

They should not be turning unless the hubs are locked or the Transfer Case is engaged, but sometimes they will turn slowly caused by the parasitic drag created by the grease or oil at the hub.

They are prone to leak and just having those new felt seals is important. If the knuckle balls are scratched or rusted they are pretty tough to seal up. You do need keep lube in them or they will go bye bye!

Noise has a habit of traveling up down and around a drive train.......... sometimes coming from the least likely places .......its all about harmonics.
Could be bearings at the wheels could even be carrier bearings getting side loaded in the front end.
I would do this......... get on some dirt and lock up your front end in 4 WD. put a load on the bearings and see if the noise remains or goes away?
:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom