squelaing noise from drive train

squelaing noise from drive train
So the wheel bearing grease in the knuckles is ok??

:)Dirty:

The official Jeep Manual from that era says its supposed to be a "Universal Joint Lube" Number #0...........Now if I remember they take something a lot heavier than a 80-90 weight gear oil.
The manual also says wheel bearing grease is Number #2
As the number goes down the grease is heavier.
I remember having a bit of a time getting that heavy stuff in there years back before I swapped in the Dana 30 .............Those joints are supposed to be swimming in the lube and do leak as you already know.
You might have to check with one of those sites that gets into the early CJ parts.
:D:D:D:D

Tarry99 that's good info but unfortunately I am pretty sure that doesn't sole my problem cuase I am not driving jn four wheel drive so axle are not spinning and I pack 4lbs of grease away in the front end of that jeep between the knuckles both sides and wheel bearings and two trailer bearings so

Assuming my bearings ate spinning on the spindle what are my options besides new spindles
This is not a jeep I drive everyday probably don't drive it more then 50 miles a month at top speeds of 50 and the rest is jut pastur driving at slow speed

Or do just forget it and wait till :dung: gets bad

Tarry99 that's good info but unfortunately I am pretty sure that doesn't sole my problem cuase I am not driving jn four wheel drive so axle are not spinning and I pack 4lbs of grease away in the front end of that jeep between the knuckles both sides and wheel bearings and two trailer bearings so

Assuming my bearings ate spinning on the spindle what are my options besides new spindles
This is not a jeep I drive everyday probably don't drive it more then 50 miles a month at top speeds of 50 and the rest is jut pastur driving at slow speed

Or do just forget it and wait till poopie gets bad

:)Dirty: I hear you .......................it really was not meant to solve a problem more so to try to eliminate some and narrow down the variables.........sometimes this stuff either is a process of elimination or as you have mentioned sometimes you just have to wait tell the part spits itself out.
Good Luck!

OK so i think i figured out my problem
drove the jeep around for an hour listening and thinking
got home took warn locking hubs off jeep the spline on the hub has a
"loose" fit to it took it apart enough to get to bearings and it was dry as a bone on passenger side and all the the pins fell so i put everything back together and took the driver side apart, after to putting the passenger side together the "loose" wnet away and it had a better more lubricated spin to it the driver side was a total different story........
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11238&stc=1&d=1346560642
as you can see from the pictures the pins in the bearings are stuck together with dirt rust and who knows what else took a little work with a small screwdriver to get them all out bearing is shot so anybody know what thje replacement bearing is??? a shot in the dark in the dark i know but if u dont ask u wont know right??

so i am pretty positive that this is my problem does anybody agree or disagree??

p.s those bearing pins in the picture that look stuck together are took two sets of pliers to pull them apart

i was also thinking i could knock all the heavy stuff of with brake cleaner and scotch brite or steel wool and then polish everything up if i cant find a new bearing

OK so i think i figured out my problem
drove the jeep around for an hour listening and thinking
got home took warn locking hubs off jeep the spline on the hub has a
"loose" fit to it took it apart enough to get to bearings and it was dry as a bone on passenger side and all the the pins fell so i put everything back together and took the driver side apart, after to putting the passenger side together the "loose" wnet away and it had a better more lubricated spin to it the driver side was a total different story........

as you can see from the pictures the pins in the bearings are stuck together with dirt rust and who knows what else took a little work with a small screwdriver to get them all out bearing is shot so anybody know what thje replacement bearing is??? a shot in the dark in the dark i know but if u dont ask u wont know right??

so i am pretty positive that this is my problem does anybody agree or disagree??

p.s those bearing pins in the picture that look stuck together are took two sets of pliers to pull them apart

i was also thinking i could knock all the heavy stuff of with brake cleaner and scotch brite or steel wool and then polish everything up if i cant find a new bearing

:)Dirty

I think your on the right track................Like I said Its a process of elimination.
You could sure try to clean those bearings up and look them over closely with a good high powered glass...........if they have been burned or look rough they are junk and will not last very long.................you should look the rest of that Jeep over also and make sure all the other hard points have proper lubrication.

its a slow process of finding everything that needs attention every day its something new

but what would life be if your classic jeep didnt throw you a curve ball once in awhile

thanks to everyone for their input i really appreciate it and i hope this thread helps current and future jeepers to diagnose their problems

dont think i can reuse this bearing, been working on it for about an hour and u can still feel where the old needle pins sat in the cup and you can see pits from where rust has been eating at it if i can clean the needles a little i think i can use it for a Limited period of time till i can get a new bearing

just hope i don't have to buy new hubs

Thats the spindle bearing. The hubs must be grabbing a hold of the axles when you turn the wheel and making the axles spin or something like that.

Thats the spindle bearing. The hubs must be grabbing a hold of the axles when you turn the wheel and making the axles spin or something like that.

no sir that is not the spindle bearing if you had beeen following along you would have seen that there is no spindle bearing on a 1969 jeep there is a brass bushing
this bearing is inside the warn locking hub

no sir that is not the spindle bearing if you had beeen following along you would have seen that there is no spindle bearing on a 1969 jeep there is a brass bushing
this bearing is inside the warn locking hub
Before this gets out of hand, this post may be taken out of contex. Dirtybird, these people are just trying to help.

i understand people are trying to help after all thats why i am here for help

i was just trying to correct him

there is a previous post of talk about my problem being a spindle bearing and i kindly reported that my jeep has only a brass bushing

also if you look at the pictures of the bearing and the locking hub together you will see that there is no possible way that it could be a spindle cause it is only about an inch long and not 12" long

all i was trying to do was inform him that it was not a spindle bearing but the bearing inside the classic m2 warn locking hub

i greatly appreciate the help as i would not have gotten this far without

thank to all who have posted reply's

dirtybird; said:
i greatly appreciate the help as i would not have gotten this far without

thank to all who have posted reply's

Noted, just wanted be sure that this thread did not get out of hand. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom