start and run problem

start and run problem

Greg

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7 258-6cyl single bbl,400 turbo,automatic,borg-warner transfer case,not sure on differentials yet.
:confused: when i try to start my 78 cj AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 6 cyl. it start's then dies,as long as you hold the key in the start postion,it will run,but when you let off the key,it dies,i talked to a guy,who told me it sounded like a ballast resistor problem, i looked for a resistor @ the firewall,but did'nt see one,i wondered if it could be a starter solenoid problem,or possibly in the ignition switch.has anyone else experienced this problem? any help on this would be appreciated.

have you done any rewiring lately??:cool:

:confused: when i try to start my 78 cj AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 6 cyl. it start's then dies,as long as you hold the key in the start postion,it will run,but when you let off the key,it dies,i talked to a guy,who told me it sounded like a ballast resistor problem, i looked for a resistor @ the firewall,but did'nt see one,i wondered if it could be a starter solenoid problem,or possibly in the ignition switch.has anyone else experienced this problem? any help on this would be appreciated.

no IO,i hav'nt done any rewiring although i need to do alittle, it just started doing this about two weeks ago for the first time, at first i thought it was vapor locked,i loosened the gas cap,and it started and ran fine for about a week,then started doing it again, this is when i discovered, if you keep the key in the start position, it would stay running. I was outside messing with it a little while ago, and found a loose battery to body ground, i fixed that and it started and ran just long enough for me to think it was fixed,then died, next i got under the dash and moved wires around on the ignition switch, i drove it around a couple different times,and have started it a dozen or so times,it seems fine now, but is scary because i dont know for sure what the problem is or when it might do it again.

Bad ignition switch maybe?

i got under the dash and moved wires around on the ignition switch, i drove it around a couple different times,and have started it a dozen or so times,it seems fine now, but is scary because i dont know for sure what the problem is or when it might do it again.

Sounds like some bad wires connections to me.

the switch or the wire between the switch and the coil.:cool:

thanks for the input guys, i think next weekend i'll try pulling the ignition switch, and inspecting it, maybe just go ahead and replace it, process of elimination. :chug:

Pulling the dash back out of the way is not a hard as it looks and it will give you a much better shot at the switch and wiring.:cool:

Thanks IO, i did'nt realize you could pull the dash back,I will definately do that, because i'm not as flexible as i was 20 yrs. ago, crawling under the dash is quite a task. :beer:

Bad ignition switch maybe?
That's it - bad ignition switch.
I had the same problem on my CJ. It would start but when I released the key to the run position it would die.
I could keep it running if I were to hold the key between the run and the start position.
It's bad contacts in the starter key switch.

:notworthy:Thanks Busa, I was hoping someone else had the same problem, that process of elimination deal can get in the pocket pretty quick, i'll go ahead and pick up a new ignition switch this week and replace it this weekend.

Thanks Busa, i'm sure thats it, after moving the wires around the other day, it ran fine, then last night i went to start it,and it did it again, so i reached under the dash and moved the wires and it started, so to experiment i reached under and moved the wires with it running, and wa-la it died, i'm picking up a new switch today, can't wait to get back to the river bottoms. Thanks guys for all the input, and everyone have a great weekend.:grinjeep: :chug:

So did the new switch solve the problem?? I have a 78 CJ5 and it does the same thing... If I touch the wires under the dash it dies... Then I move them again and it will run...

So did the new switch solve the problem?? I have a 78 CJ5 and it does the same thing... If I touch the wires under the dash it dies... Then I move them again and it will run...

That does not sound like the switch, but does sound like a bad connection.

any ideas on where i can get a simple wiring diagram for the ignition? i think its just a loose or broken wire as well...thanks

That does not sound like the switch, but does sound like a bad connection.
I agree with you Sasquach, it sounds like a bad connection.
jdenney, I would start by pushing the connectors onto the ignition switch better. See if that helps. You may have corrosion on a connection or a damaged wire.

any ideas on where i can get a simple wiring diagram for the ignition? i think its just a loose or broken wire as well...thanks
Try this place: PROSPERO'S GARAGE Presents:  11" x 17", Laminated, Full Original Color Wiring Diagrams for Motorcycles & Vintage Sports Cars!
I just bought one of these and I love it.
I hate tracing down a bad connection like that. If you get out the multimeter then you bump the wire and everything tests good. I would just wiggle wires carefully to get to to die. See if you can tell exactly what wires are causing the problem. You might want to remove the trim at the base of the steering wheel. Start to remove the ignition switch but just reconnect it. By re-doing the connection you might make it better. I really think the problem is a bad connection at the ignition switch.

Try this place: PROSPERO'S GARAGE Presents:* 11" x 17", Laminated, Full Original Color Wiring Diagrams for Motorcycles & Vintage Sports Cars!
I just bought one of these and I love it.
I hate tracing down a bad connection like that. If you get out the multimeter then you bump the wire and everything tests good. I would just wiggle wires carefully to get to to die. See if you can tell exactly what wires are causing the problem. You might want to remove the trim at the base of the steering wheel. Start to remove the ignition switch but just reconnect it. By re-doing the connection you might make it better. I really think the problem is a bad connection at the ignition switch.
How close to orginal wireing does it get? My chiltions has a good wireing diagram but some wire colors on the dia, and my 86 don't match, not to metion the po before just cut and patched in simple on and off switches for the heater fan motor control, got that one figutred out, working on the wipers and light switch. Got all gauges to work and most of the dash lights to work have some ordered. The site you show only goes from 71-81 and later models to come. :D Thanks for the info:) Can always count on you for good info:notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom