Structural Integrity

Structural Integrity
a mirror!:D

And I highly recommend that you get a welder with a gas kit.

Welding sheet metal with flux-cored wire is not any fun. ;)

Alright, I'm going to try patching the tub, because apparently I hate myself. What's the process there?

Buy the patch panels you need, cut out the old, weld in the new and body work it. Small tacks or short stitch welds is the key, jump around the panel when welding, keep the heat down so it wont warp, grind em smooth, I prefer a flap wheel, then if needed (and it will be needed) use a good body filler to smooth it out. There are lots of videos and tuts on the web for body work, youtube has quite a bit of em.

Sent from my DROID2

what do you have access to for tools and equipment?? at very least you will need compressed air and some sort of welding equipment.
Do keep in mind that before the MIG ever came along the oxy acetylene torch, with brazing rods, was the weapon of choice. :D

most of what you need is just flat sheet metal about 16 Ga. cold rolled would work very well and it can be bought at your local scrap yard pretty inexpensively. The parts that are formed, like the body to frame mounts, can be cut with a saber saw and welded or shaped with a hammer and some heat from a torch.
Do some reading, do the easy stuff first and have some fun with it.

Last edited:
the right panel adhesive and you don't even have to weld/braze some patches.:cool:

Only thing with this, make sure you use a good seam sealer after welding or you'll be replacing the same panels later for the same reason.

Sent from my DROID2

I don't think I would have a problem gluing the holes in the side panels. There are a lot of adhesives that are stronger than a weld especialy if the person doing the welding is a novice.:D

Like I said the mounts are the problem, they would be worth having a sheet metal shop shear and brake a couple of 4' lengths of that profile. I think the originals are spot welded on. cutting spot welds is pretty easy and stitch welding them back on could happen pretty easy with flux core wire.

I think the hardest part is pulling the tub and flipping it.
Of course by the time we talk about all the possibilities you are going to stumble on a cherry CJ7 tub that some relative has taking up space in a barn within 5 miles of the house.:D
and he wants to deliver it and unload it for you.

the right panel adhesive and you don't even have to weld/braze some patches.:cool:

I don't have a welder, so I'd rather do this for the body and pay a welder for the floor pans/roll bar. Wouldn't this leave the patch panel raised? Seems like that would look like the jeep has a tumor by the time it's done.

I just pulled a rollbar out of a good YJ tub today. its in a junkyard here in alabama but you dont have to worry about the salt factor here.
if you decide to swap tubs this is an option

Boutwell's auto salvage
greenville alabama
334-382-8552
334-382-3819

also check out Jackson and sons, Talledega, Al.
jeep junkyard

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom