T-18 fluid level

T-18 fluid level

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
I've been gone the last couple of weeks (Fort Knox this time). Anyway, the CJ sat with the battery disconnected, today I put the battery back on and went out to run some errands. The Transmission feels a little sticky, it doesn't seem to shift smoothly. How do I check the fluid level in my T-18 ? What oil should I use if it's low? All of the books that I have, nothing specifically mentions the T-18 . Thanks.

I've been gone the last couple of weeks (Fort Knox this time). Anyway, the CJ sat with the battery disconnected, today I put the battery back on and went out to run some errands. The Transmission feels a little sticky, it doesn't seem to shift smoothly. How do I check the fluid level in my T-18 ? What oil should I use if it's low? All of the books that I have, nothing specifically mentions the T-18 . Thanks.

What's up at Ft. Knox, business or maybe the big machine gun shoot.
:biggun:

Anyway back on point.
The T-18 is suppose to use 80-90weight gear oil, but like I've mentioned in other post I've seen people run everything from 50 racing valvoline to 140 weight gear oil. I've been told by many that their tranny shifted better with 50w racing.;)
As far as level goes, I've always considered the fill hole as the level.
I fill it till it runs out, that method has worked me for 35 or so years.

What's up at Ft. Knox, business or maybe the big machine gun shoot.
:biggun:

Business involving machine guns. Live fire excercises with the boats I'm on, on the Salt River, 2 weeks, lots and lots of ammo.

BTW, fill hole, on the passenger side, correct? Thanks again Longhorn :chug:

That's uncharactistically brief for you Jim, you feeling alright? scruffy_smiley.png
Man, you can read me like a book. Life is chaos at the moment...but that's another thread I'll eventually start someday. :(

Business involving machine guns. Live fire excercises with the boats I'm on, on the Salt River, 2 weeks, lots and lots of ammo.

BTW, fill hole, on the passenger side, correct? Thanks again Longhorn :chug:

Rodger that.
Have fun, play safe.
Back on point.
Rodger that, T-18 has both drain & fill on passengers side.
Square head plugs, bring big crescent wrench.;)
Glad to be of service.

I just got back Saturday evening. I had spent the last two plus weeks there, it was good time, other than the 1950's barracks, the mosquitoes the size of barn swallows and the 18 hour work days, it was a good time ::D:

Rodger that, T-18 has both drain & fill on passengers side.
Square head plugs, bring big crescent wrench.;)
Glad to be of service.

If I was going to drain and refill, how much fluid does a T-18 hold? Just a thought...

I just got back Saturday evening. I had spent the last two plus weeks there, it was good time, other than the 1950's barracks, the mosquitoes the size of barn swallows and the 18 hour work days, it was a good time ::D:

I remember basic training at Ft. Benning in barracks that were built for temporary use in WWII. :rolleyes:
But it's hard not have fun expending massive quantities of ordinance. :biggun:
I have a fond memory of my self as a young soldier at Ft. Bragg on the MaDuce range.
I was firing away at various old tank bodies & half tracks when a whitetail deer breaks across the range. I walked the gun across the deer in an instant.
So fast the range officer on the loudspeaker could only get off "DO NOT SHOOT THE disregard", because it was too late.:D

If I was going to drain and refill, how much fluid does a T-18 hold? Just a thought...

I fill mine from a bulk container these days, I seem to remember about 4pints.
Also Use a GL-4 rated oil instead of GL-5. GL-5 has a higher sulphur content that is mildly corrosive to the bronze alloy syncros used in this gearbox.;)

I finally got around to at least starting a bunch of work on the CJ today. When I finally got to "drain & refill tranny" on my list, I decided that I'd take the top cover off and fill it that way.

That's when I ran into problems. I got all six of the top cover bolts out, and about 80% of the original gasket material off, but I can not physically remove the top cover, I don't think it will fit out through the tranny/Transfer Case access panel in the tub. Am I going to have to drop the tranny to get the top cover off???

I really don't want to, but now I'm stuck with the top cover unbolted, the old gasket cracked and in pieces and the top cover not wanting to come out, help please.

I finally got around to at least starting a bunch of work on the CJ today. When I finally got to "drain & refill tranny" on my list, I decided that I'd take the top cover off and fill it that way.

That's when I ran into problems. I got all six of the top cover bolts out, and about 80% of the original gasket material off, but I can not physically remove the top cover, I don't think it will fit out through the tranny/Transfer Case access panel in the tub. Am I going to have to drop the tranny to get the top cover off???

I really don't want to, but now I'm stuck with the top cover unbolted, the old gasket cracked and in pieces and the top cover not wanting to come out, help please.

Dude, you open a whole can of worms by taking off the top cover to fill the T-18 .
If you want to top fill take the stick out of the shift tower & pour it in til oil comes out of the fill hole.
View attachment 6378

Dude, you open a whole can of worms by taking off the top cover to fill the T-18 .
If you want to top fill take the stick out of the shift tower & pour it in til oil comes out of the fill hole.

great :bang:

I would like some pictures of this. You are saying that the top cover won't come out through that 2 ft square hole in the tunnel? is the T-18 that much front or rear of center??:cool:

Forward of center, I'll get pics tonight when I get home.

After looking at horns diagram I can see that the T-18 has one big honkin top cover. Have you pulled the stick??:cool:

Here's the pics I promised. As you can see, there is at least 3" of top cover behind the access panel. I don't think it's coming off without dropping the tranny. But, I have a plan, that's going to wait until tomorrow.

Tonight I went out, with a drain pan and a funnel to drain the tranny and Transfer Case . I underestimated how slowly 80W-90 drains out of a funnel, and I ended up with half of the tranny oil all over the garage floor. I finally get it all cleaned up, take the garbage can back to where it belongs, and kick over a can of Mt Dew :rolleyes:

Clean up the Mt Dew, replace the garage garbage bag and come back in the house to watch football...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom