T-18 fluid level

T-18 fluid level
I think the 90wt and the funnel thing is something we all get to learn the hard way, it seems like a good idea.
From the looks I would say support the skid plate with a jack and pull the bolts. It doesn't look like you need to drop in down far and I think there will be enough give to the motor mounts.
then again lets hear your plan.:cool:

Here's the pics I promised. As you can see, there is at least 3" of top cover behind the access panel. I don't think it's coming off without dropping the tranny. But, I have a plan, that's going to wait until tomorrow.

Tonight I went out, with a drain pan and a funnel to drain the tranny and Transfer Case . I underestimated how slowly 80W-90 drains out of a funnel, and I ended up with half of the tranny oil all over the garage floor. I finally get it all cleaned up, take the garbage can back to where it belongs, and kick over a can of Mt Dew :rolleyes:

Clean up the Mt Dew, replace the garage garbage bag and come back in the house to watch football...

I was looking at yours pics....

I have a stock T-18 in my 78 CJ7 ..... and your the T-18 looks kinda tight to your sheet metal tunnel....

The T-18 is a big Transmission and uses 7/8" of shim stock between the skid plate and the frame rails..... This gives a bit more room so the Transmission does not bounce and hit the body and helps with the drive line anges tooo... Jeep used seven 1/8" shims stacked to lower the Transmission /skid plate... I will take a guess you hear the T-18 hit thle body at times when wheeling.

Fill the Transfer Case and Transmission ...
I purchase a Valve/Fill Adapter at Wallmart for oil bottles... It fits on the quarts and gallons of GL4. The Valve/Fill adapter also has a tappered end so I used a pc of plastic/vinly hose... So the gear lube can be gravity filled. Since you have the cover off already or can be squeezed in there too... I found is squeezed the valve will leak a bit.... I also found the gallon / quart of gear lube can be raised up on the frame or propped up there so it willl gravity fed. Since you have the top of tunnel off I would go there and gravity feed. The valve/fill adapter was cheap 1-2$

The best way to feed gear lube.....
I have seen the1-2 gallon pressure tanks for adheasives that use a dip tube..... Years ago say these for nothing..... now I cannot see one... Put the gallon of gear lube in there with a dip tube.... cover the pressure vessel..... raise the pressue to 15-20 psi and the grear lube with flow tru the tubing and fill your pumpkings or Transmission /transf...... This would make the job much easier and faster.... Need a valve on end of hose to turn on/off..... I am still looking for one on the cheap

GL4......
Napa has a Gl4 and so does Broomgards Farm Store. Napa double their price when I started posting they had it a few years ago... Broomgards sells 2.5 gal for $25.

I am still doing some testing...... but ..... the best fluid for our jeep Transmission is the Amsoil MTF , manual Transmission fluid, it has all our trimec Transmission listed on the back lable. I put this in my toyota 1.5 years ago and I am very impressed. My T-18 has 36k orginal miles and works great........ I am putting MTF in there in the next wk or soo....... I think it will make my TRUCK Transmission shift like a std Transmission .... It sells for $11 quart. I think 5 quarts will do the T-18 and transf. So next change give it a whirl.... I think you will be impressed....

~ ~ The T-18 is a big Transmission and uses 7/8" of shim stock between the skid plate and the frame rails..... This gives a bit more room so the Transmission does not bounce and hit the body and helps with the drive line anges tooo... Jeep used seven 1/8" shims stacked to lower the Transmission /skid plate... I will take a guess you hear the T-18 hit thle body at times when wheeling. ~ ~

I have 4 shims on both sides, but I've never heard it hit when off road. As for where the other 3 went, or weather they were ever there to start with, I have no idea :dunno:

No progress tonight, It's looking like it'll be sitting until this weekend. I've got a lot on my plate between now and Saturday.

My other 4x4 is a '71 IH Scout 800B. AMC 304 V8, T-19 gearbox. When I got it there was 80w90 in it. Very notchy going into second gear. Changed the oil to 50w Valvoline racing oil. After about 50 miles it started shifting very smooth, even in the winter. Andre.

My plan was to lift the top cover of the tranny with a tie-down strap so that I could clean all of the old gasket out and install new. So far it's kind of working the way I invisioned it too.

What can I dump in to the tranny to clean out all of the pieces of old gasket and grime I'm sure fell down in there before I refill it with clean oil?

To hell with it, I'm dropping the tranny and Transfer Case . Let's call it a clean and inspect...

Hey Elwood... When I did mine (installed tranny back into the jeep and wanted more room...) (granted completely different tranny and a little newer model) there was a additionally removable sheet metal portion of the tub you can remove that is MUCH larger... It went slightly into both drivers and passengers floor boards, and around the inspection plate you had removed in pictures...

I realize I am late on this thread, but the 16 - 20 blots to remove would hav been much easier than the tranny drop was I am sure... :cool:

Either way I hope you got her all figured out... Nothing like a jeep sitting on a nice day to drive it...

:chug:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom