T5 overhaul parts help!!

T5 overhaul parts help!!

Dan86CJ7

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 258(rebuilt motor/comp cam/weber32/36) T5 300 tcase d30 front(locker/4:10s)
AMC20(locker/4:10s),4"lift,33"s
so was driving home new years eve and bang sound like something is gonna blow throught the Transfer Case and very tough to get into gear. was able to limp it back to my dealership and park it, also noticed it goes away when i push in the clutch, believe its internal as i bought htis used and for the life of me cant think of any clutch related component that would cause this type of noise:mad: so ive tried finding a kit, would like syncros too Any one know of a good one or help w/what is needed to do full overhaul form the parts diagram....any help would be appriciated...tks all
View attachment 12667

tks, just torn it open and some gears are wiped out and my input shaft is snapped into 2 piece:mad:, i have a spare but what to do?

Well the T-5 was one of the weakest Transmission they put in a CJ rather spending the money fixing that I would find a better one to put in it like a T-176 or a T-18 IMO

any info on swaps? w/o any mods?

any info on swaps? w/o any mods?

The T-18 will need a different bellhousing and driveshafts. The bellhousing from a 70s Cj with a T-150 will work with the T-18 . You would also need an adapter for the Dana 300 .

A T-176 will also need the correct bellhousing and different driveshafts. It will bolt directly to your Dana 300 though so no adapter is needed. This would probably be your cheapest route and be a substantial upgrade in strength. If you can find one with the bellhousing I have the correct driveshafts for this combo.

Your current bellhousing will only work with the T-5 , T-4 and SR4 transmissions. These are probably the three weakest Jeep transmissions.

$$ is deff. an issue which is why i got a used T-5 when my syncros started going...adapters,shafts,ect....where not in the budget..now 4 months later...boom!! i still have the old T-5 ..do you dump $400 into another hoping it last! ooohhhh well...time for beer!:(

Bummer , I sold my T-176 with the bellhousing for $350. Thats a tough call. How hard are you on your Jeep? Does it see alot of trails or is it mainly a street Jeep? Check around your area and see what you find then post it here.

$$ is deff. an issue which is why i got a used T-5 when my syncros started going...adapters,shafts,ect....where not in the budget..now 4 months later...boom!! i still have the old T-5 ..do you dump $400 into another hoping it last! ooohhhh well...time for beer!:(

Its my daily, but like to go in the wood once and a while, im a 14 year jeep tech so work is no issue, $$is. just trying to see what the most cost effective repair is. i do go on the hiway, so 5sp is good, but am very torn if rebuilding my other T-5 is the answer. was having syncro issues so i would have to spend alot, no kits to be found..i see my self spending at least 500+ on a T-5 ? but cant seem to find any Transmission , even then there is chance of the same thing happening:censored:...need more beer!

any links on swap info?

Its too bad your so far away from me, I have a T-5 sitting on my scrap trailer that is probably in decent shape, as the CJ it was in was destroyed by a fire, not mechanical problems. I pulled the Dana 300 off it, but figured the Transmission wasn't worth saving.

Spending money on a T-5 is like flushing it down the toilet.

No links on the swap but its pretty easy. Your just pulling the driveshafts then dropping the skid plate , Transmission & t-case , and the bellhousing. Then just put the T-176 in its place.

I agree with mntwhlr though the T-5 isnt worth dumping any amount of cash in. Also alot of people believe the T-5 has an advantage for highway driving. This is not the case. The 5th gear drive ratio of a T-5 is 1 to 1 just like 4th in a T-176 .

Your cheapest way out may be working a deal with Mylittlecj5 and saving up for a upgrade. A T-5 isnt very heavy and might not be a ton of cash to ship.

Its my daily, but like to go in the wood once and a while, im a 14 year jeep tech so work is no issue, $$is. just trying to see what the most cost effective repair is. i do go on the hiway, so 5sp is good, but am very torn if rebuilding my other T-5 is the answer. was having syncro issues so i would have to spend alot, no kits to be found..i see my self spending at least 500+ on a T-5 ? but cant seem to find any Transmission , even then there is chance of the same thing happening:censored:...need more beer!

any links on swap info?

i have a T-5 under my bench..it was having sycro issues....i really dont need another, by link for swaps i meant for info on what s needed to do the swaps...gearbox,shafts,what Transmission come out of,ect...is there a diff. in a T-176 for a 2.5 to AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? is it just a bell and drive shafts on this swap? a local yard shows 1 for a 2.5

Great!! Just reading this thread....now I am bummed. Why? Glad you asked. I have a T-5 and currently don't have any real issues...but now I am starting to wonder. What exactly do you guys mean when you say it is a weak Transmission ? I plan to be on some pretty mountainous roads in the middle of nowhere come this summer...is this going to be a problem?

I have a T-5 in mine too and plan on running it untill it breaks. I have done some hard trails with it and it has held up so far but when it does go I will be looking to upgrade to a better Transmission . But I'm running 31's and no lift when you get up in the 33 to 35 inch tires you are putting a lot more stress on the Transmission . I'm just saying if you break a T-5 don't waste your money fixing it find a stronger Transmission , I will be putting a T-176 in mine when it breaks.

I have a T-5 in mine too and plan on running it untill it breaks. I have done some hard trails with it and it has held up so far but when it does go I will be looking to upgrade to a better Transmission . But I'm running 31's and no lift when you get up in the 33 to 35 inch tires you are putting a lot more stress on the Transmission . I'm just saying if you break a T-5 don't waste your money fixing it find a stronger Transmission , I will be putting a T-176 in mine when it breaks.

Ok, that's now my plan also...I am running 31's too. I was just looking at T-176 's on eBay...prices run from 300 to over 1000...

Ok, that's now my plan also...I am running 31's too. I was just looking at T-176 's on eBay...prices run from 300 to over 1000...
You should keep a eye on craigslist I've seen them come up on it and then you will not have to pay shipping witch will be alot because they are heavy.

are the drive shafts the only mod when putting in a T-176 ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom