T5 overhaul parts help!!

T5 overhaul parts help!!
ive seen this, im gonna look for a few days before i do anything w/ a T-5 again...i can just put my T-5 in but will be fighting syncros going...just lucky my work allows me to take the parts shuttle home so i can spare some time to look?

this for 1980 jeep, off car-part.com.....does this make sense, will any work?

A.T., CJ7
M.T., CJ5 , shift lever in cover
M.T., CJ5 , shift lever in ext, 4 cyl
M.T., CJ5 , shift lever in ext, 6 cyl
M.T., CJ7 , shift lever in cover
M.T., CJ7 , shift lever in ext, 4 cyl
M.T., CJ7 , shift lever in ext, 6 cyl
The A.T., CJ7 is an automatic. A TF909 was the automatic on the four bangers. The TF999 was the auto for the strait sixes.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/

M.T., CJ7 (orCJ5), shift lever in cover - this is the T-176

Any of those that say "shift lever in ext" refer to the weak SR4 Transmission . They have the shift lever in the tailhousing.

Last edited:
tks again dave, so the 2.5l is probably misprint or wrong all together...And it can be a CJ7 or 5? great..gonna keep searching
im kicking myself for buying this T-5 ....$250 and 4 months later boom....seems some aftermarket stores are showing reman units...gonna make a call and see if its legit.

tks again dave, so the 2.5l is probably misprint or wrong all together...And it can be a CJ7 or 5? great..gonna keep searching

You saw a T-176 for a four banger?:confused:
I didn't think they came with the four cylinder engines but I could be wrong.
I did a quick search just now and Novak says this:

A factory option available with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 was the Tremec T176 Transmission, rated as medium-duty.
Chevrolet & GM Engine Conversions into the 1980-1986 Jeep CJ

thats what it said? probably wrong....the yard that shows it is only 13 miles away so maybe worth going and looking.. it either a T-176 or not? also says not tested!!

so i may nhave found a T-176 local, had a question, does it use the same mount as the T-5 ? or do i gotta get a different one.

so i may nhave found a T-176 local, had a question, does it use the same mount as the T-5 ? or do i gotta get a different one.
You will need to drill and tap 4 holes in the belhousing to mount your T-176 . I did this to install a ford T-18 and it's not hard. I'm pretty sure its the same with your swap: the input shaft and bearing mounting of the T-176 will fit into the hole of the bellhousing. There wasn't any free play for me and I think you will find it a tight fit too. It will be obvious where to drill and tap the 4 holes.
You could also buy a bellhousing but I wouldn't spend the money. At least check out how the tranny and bellhousing fit together first.

The skid plate won't mount in the same location so you will need new mounting holes there too.

Lastly you will need to have both drive shafts modified for length. Measure carefully with the suspension fully compressed and fully extended. Since you can't drive your CJ to compress suspension this may take a bit of guesswork.
MeasDC_575x240.jpg

i can get the correct drive shafts, i gotta call the guy monday morning about Transmission ...so im hoping it comes w/ the bell housing? so i gotta drill new holes in the skid for the mount? what about clutch and such is this all interchangable?
tks

so i gotta drill new holes in the skid for the mount? what about clutch and such is this all interchangable?
tks

Yes the mount is between the tranny and TCase so that will end up at a different spot on the skidplate.
These skidplates are supposed to be standardized for different driveline combinations. You will see extra hole in the skidplate. So in theory you will just use different holes but I am not going to promise that. Even if you don't find any holes that line up, it's no big deal to drill them.

The clutch will need to be for a CJ with a T-176 . I think you could reuse the pressure plate (but I doubt you will want to) the friction plate must be for a T-176 .
:chug:

EDIT: to be clear about the skidplate, the holes that may need to be re-drilled are the ones in the skidplate that bolt into the frame NOT the tranny mount.

Lastly you will need to have both drive shafts modified for length. Measure carefully with the suspension fully compressed and fully extended. Since you can't drive your CJ to compress suspension this may take a bit of guesswork.
MeasDC_575x240.jpg

Or you can compress it this way...:D

s if i get a clutch for a 80 CJ7 , should be golden? Thanks Dave:chug:

just looked quick online and they only seem to differ by clutch size, not Transmission ..10.50 or 11

any ideas on what clutch i should be using?

so i get a return phone call....he has a Transmission , will give me a bell housing, it has the adapter, but someone cut the input shaft off....just the tip that goes into the pilot bushing? WTF! who does that.? toss up? do i do it and put in a input shaft? keep looking? dont think it good the way it is?? makes no sense!:bang:

looks like i may start looking at the T-18 route?

Last edited:
When someone makes a "modification" like that I stay the hell away from it. This one has been for sale in my area for quite awhile. Maybe you can get him to throw the bell and stuff in for that price.

JEEP CJ T176 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION

so i get a return phone call....he has a Transmission , will give me a bell housing, it has the adapter, but someone cut the input shaft off....just the tip that goes into the pilot bushing? WTF! who does that.? toss up? do i do it and put in a input shaft? keep looking? dont think it good the way it is?? makes no sense!

looks like i may start looking at the T-18 route?

same thing my shop foreman told me......can of worms! waiting for an answer freom an email i sent to a local junk yard?? they say they got 1 but who knows if its complete or condition?....was hoping to find a local one to save shipping, but worth contacting...tks

Last edited:
:( may just be crossing the old fingers and putting the other T-5 in!!!

:( may just be crossing the old fingers and putting the other T-5 in!!!

Tough not to be bummed but try not to let it give you a big old buzzkill. It'll only take an afternoon to put the other T-5 in if you think you can nurse it along for awhile. Maybe that gives you the time to find what you want and afford it. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom