"tuning" Carb

sbrodacz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-78 CJ7
-Chevy 350
-TH400
I have been trying to restore a 78 CJ7 . I'm just about done. I have 350 with a holley carburetor. The carburetor is adding too much fuel. I know nothing about carburetors and would much rather have someone else work on it. Since it's adding too much fuel I'm afraid to drive it to a shop to have them adjust it. How hard is it to adjust the fuel ratio on a holley carburetor? If I can get the carb adjust all I have left to do is add a vacuum hose for the brake booster.

What model Holley carb ? There is a number stamped into the airhorn .....by the choke plate......That will give the model number. With that information, a good starting point can be achieved.

Jets need to be changed and you need to know which ones you have so you know where to go. Also you have the accelerator pump cam and the fuel idle mixture screws. It takes a decent amount of know how to get a well adjusted Holley but remember that you are better off running rich than lean so it is safe to drive from your house to a tune shop. If you were super lean I would say do not drive it.

couple ?s.
What model and size of Holley carb we talk'n about.
How much fuel we talk'n about, do you mean raw fuel just dumping out? Or just running real rich.

There's lots of good info on the Holley web site.:D

Couldn't I flood the engine if there is too much fuel being added?

Unless somebody just took the jets out then no. The Holley is most likely stock and they are pretty close for being set out of the box. You can flood it if you pump the heel out of the pedal before start up and you have a week spark. A motor will not flood while it is running. It may not run well at all but you can get down the street.

Without a carb number your questions cannot be answered. A LOT of MINOR adjustments could easily fix your issue. Help us to help you.............

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom