What axle do I have? 1986 CJ7

What axle do I have? 1986 CJ7

zombiehunter

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 258 w/5 spd
New guy here so please be patient. I just bought an 86 CJ7 and I am pretty sure it has a Dana 44 rear under it but how do I tell for sure? This is what the diff cover looks like. Its not round like the 20. I just want to be sure. Also how do I tell what Transfer Case I have possibly a 300. Can you tell by VIN# Thanks.:confused:

Last edited:
That's a Dana 44 if your axle looks like the image you posted.
And if stock (as your vehicle description indicates your drivetrain most likely is) your Transfer Case is a Dana 300

If you look on the top of the pumpkin by the axel tubes “44” will be cast into the flange. It’s a 44 though as the guy have said from the shape.

No no no. That is not a good thing to have. And I feel sorry for you, in fact I'll even take that off your hands and give you a good AMC20 with a TracLok in it.... at no added cost!;)

No no no. That is not a good thing to have. And I feel sorry for you, in fact I'll even take that off your hands and give you a good AMC20 with a TracLok in it.... at no added cost!;)

:notworthy: please don't miss the wink... .)

Do you have pictures if it? I too have a 86 with a Dana 44 rear and 5 speed junk.

Coldair, I will try and post some pics hopefully tomorrow. Did you want to see Pics of anything particular or just the rig in general. What do you mean 5 speed junk:confused: is there something I should know

What do you mean 5 speed junk:confused: is there something I should know

Lol...yeah...actually, you should know this right away>>>

Your trannys is a light duty Tremech T-5 . They are notorious for being extemelly weak and will destroy synchros on a regular basis. Great care needs to be taken to make this thing survive. Power shifting, grinding gears, anything that interferes with smooth operation of this tranny is detrimental to its survival.

Sorry for the bad news.

Looks good :) the front looks like a Dana 30 the way you can tell is look at the housing of the axle on one of the webs it should have a 30 on it.

Lol...yeah...actually, you should know this right away>>>

Your trannys is a light duty Tremech T-5 . They are notorious for being extemelly weak and will destroy synchros on a regular basis. Great care needs to be taken to make this thing survive. Power shifting, grinding gears, anything that interferes with smooth operation of this tranny is detrimental to its survival.

Sorry for the bad news.
Thanks for anwsering that Jim i was away for my computer and my phone.

It looks just like mine. Pretty sure its a stock 86 Dana 44 . If you dont mind how did you come across this jeep. Also how much did you pay for it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom