What axle do I have? 1986 CJ7

What axle do I have? 1986 CJ7
Definately a Dana 44 rear. As said, the only other axle put in was a corp 20 and it has a perfectly round cover.

September2011151.jpg

Your front axle is a Dana 30 .

You made out good. Your coworkers son has no idea what he got rid of considering the condition of that CJ7 :chug:

Nice man thats a pretty good deal. I payed almost that much for my 86 with a cracked block.

:notworthy:Thanks for the responses everyone I appricate it. I had to order a new clutch linkage kit the old one was shot. I also just replaced the engine mounts, water pump, pulled the radiator and had it repaired, modifed the bumper that was on it, got some new hubs i need to install after I pack the bearings and there are a few other tweeks here and there that need to be addressed. But over all I am happy with my purchase.

I don't mean to threadjack but is this a particularly rare option? My 86 also has a 44 rear and I've always known it's better and more durable than the model 20 but I rarely ever see another CJ with a 44 rear unless it's a heavily modified rig that probably had everything swapped out. Was it unusual to find an 86 with the 44 option? I never see rear disc conversions for it that aren't pieced together so I've always assumed it is.

The 44's where put in at the end of production of the '7' in 1986.
My '85 came with the '20' rear(long ago replaced with a Currie 9").
LG

Not an option, the factory used up the 20s then switch over mid year to the 44. So all the mid year to end of production CJs had the 44. The mid 70 to 75 had a rear 30 spline 44 as well along with about 30 year of the 19 spline 44s before that. If anything there is far less 20s then 44s in the rear of a CJ.

Oh ok. I was always under the impression that it was an option that just wasn't purchased by many original buyers at the time. I was about 5 or 6 at the time it was built so I wouldn't have known much about the available options back then other than to research now. I was aware that the 44 was used heavily in older CJs, I just meant that I rarely see one in the back of a 7.

"If anything there is far less 20s then 44s in the rear of a CJ."

Don't think so:confused:- CJ7 's had a '20' untill the end of 1986.
'20s' were used at the end of the 5's life too.
LG

"If anything there is far less 20s then 44s in the rear of a CJ."

Don't think so:confused:- CJ7 's had a '20' untill the end of 1986.
'20s' were used at the end of the 5's life too.
LG

Do the math!
CJs with rear 44s = "26 year"
CJs with rear 20s = "10 years"

Nowhere in my post did I mention 5 or 7

This may help:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom