what rear end

what rear end

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
My rear end is a 10 bolt that looks like a Dana 44 could it be?It has a tag in the lower left.On it the are some has what looks like a ratio 3.73 the other number looks to be 11.41 I cant make out the bigger number.
Any Ideas????????

BTW this is on my 1976 CJ5 6cyl 3sp

not sure of the type but 41 divided by 11 equals 3.73 so that should be your ratio :chug:

I will try to get some pics and scrape off the other numbers

Dana 44 :

cover_dana44.jpg

Here are some pics of the front and rear ends
The first is the front and second the rear.What is it?

Attachments

• jeep rearend 001.jpg
    jeep rearend 001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 94
  • jeep rearend 002.jpg
    jeep rearend 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 136
30 in front and 44 in back.:cool:

Should this be a Limited slip or a single like in a 2wd car?
How common is the 44 in a CJ5 ?
Thanks

Should this be a Limited slip or a single like in a 2wd car?
How common is the 44 in a CJ5 ?
Thanks

If it came with the trac-loc or the powr-lok it would have had a tag below the oil fill plug designating such. Need a picture of the inside to tell for sure.

The 44 was the standard early CJ axle, it has several variations with regard to the axle spline and even had a 2 peice tapered shaft in 2's and 3's but think all the 5's were flanged shaft. There are no less than 3 different axle splines with the 44 so be carefull if you change the carrier.

Did you have to check your T shirt? :laugh:

I like the shirt.But I found the diagram on 4wheelinoffroad.com
Will the numbers on the tag that tells the ratio give me any more info?If so I will scrape more paint off

Pull off your cover and have a look, never hurts to change the fluid anyway. Like i said earlier there would have been another tag if it had any optional equip.. That said I have been led to beleive all the optional trac-loc and such is useless anyway so concider it as an open carrier.

correct me if I am wrong but I think the AMC20 came out in 77.
I think I would bet lunch it was an open carrier.

the bad thing about the T shirt is the picture is on the back, makes it difficult to use for a reference unless you have help or a mirror.:D

What do you mean by "open carrier"

as in not Limited slip, The trac lock would have been the only possible option from Toledo and it was not a standard item. Pull the cover, clean out the milk shake, and look for clutch packs in the carrier.
Just for your continuing education, drive axles and differentials are a study in themselves requiring special tools and and very precise assembly, there is no "close enough". If you aspire to rebuild and/or upgrade your axle I would suggest an in depth study of the subject and the available options. Locking differentials are a wonderful thing but they do have down sides you need to be aware of. And any option you choose is expensive, so it is not something to do half a$$ed. I, personally, have successfully rebuilt one axle with new trac lock and ring and pinion. I am very proud of that accomplishment and I am looking forward to building a Dana 44 for my CJ "just the way I want it". The upgrade will cost some place in the neighborhood of 2 grand, which is a pretty classy neighborhood.

What do you mean by "open carrier"

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom