Which carb is this???

Which carb is this???

Rust Bucket

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5 304 3 speed, '12 GMC Terrain, '07 F-150
How do I tell which carb I have? I know it's a Motorcraft, but not sure if it's the 2100 or 2150.

A little background.... I put a used gas tank in a week ago, but apparently didn't clean out all of the rust. While towing Rust Bucket up the mountain this past weekend, a ton of :dung: came loose in the tank. She barely ran and wouldn't hold an idle after running perfectly the day before. So, we are dropping the tank today and giving it a thorough cleaning, but I figure it can't hurt to rebuild the carb this week as well. This will be my first rebuild, so I'm pretty sure I'll need some special tool (as with any new project) and a lot of guidance. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, the name is Steve, updating profile shortly.

What are the numbers around the top flange? That will tell us (I think)... Not so good with those old motorcrafts... :)

It's a 2100. I can tell because 2100's have the choke pulloff valve, 2150's don't. And by the accelerator pump linkage, 2100's and 2150's are very different.

A rebuild kit should be easy, that's your stock carb. Go to NAPA, Advance, wherever you get your parts from and have them look up your Jeep. I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but you should replace your float while you're in there (I sugggest a brass one) and get a new choke spring. I can't remember the right term, the round part with the spring in it for the choke, you know what I mean.....

Last edited:
these guys in that thread helped me out alot. it was my first carb rebuild to. i printed out the instructions on the one cj put on there. it was easy with that.

Thanks guys! This is a huge help. I'll check out the old threads for a little guidance in the rebuild. The float and choke spring can't be too expensive, so I'll go ahead and replace them while it's disassembled.

Would anyone suggest a new carb? If so, hit me with suggestions. A replacement is not out of the question....

so far with my motorcraft i love it. just rebuild it. it is one of the best 2 barrels you will find.

Really no need for a new one. The Motorcraft carbs are decent off-road. Rebuild it and use the money you saved somewhere else. ;)
Thanks guys! This is a huge help. I'll check out the old threads for a little guidance in the rebuild. The float and choke spring can't be too expensive, so I'll go ahead and replace them while it's disassembled.

Would anyone suggest a new carb? If so, hit me with suggestions. A replacement is not out of the question....

Guess I'll use the money to buy a new gas tank, since the used one I bought started leaking when I cleaned out the rust. Thanks Pete.

Guess I'll use the money to buy a new gas tank, since the used one I bought started leaking when I cleaned out the rust. Thanks Pete.

You just gota love the pyramid affect that goes with working on a jeep :laugh:

(I sugggest a brass one) and get a new choke spring. I can't remember the right term, the round part with the spring in it for the choke, you know what I mean.....

What I think Mr. Blues is referring too is the Choke Thermostat It has been one one the parts that have been causing me a little trouble with my Jeep

What I think Mr. Blues is referring too is the Choke Thermostat It has been one one the parts that have been causing me a little trouble with my Jeep

I have a feeling this is not the end of this thread.....These rebuild kits look a little intimidating!

Nope, If you follow instructions it will go much easier than you think. :cool:
Heck even made my own float gauge out of cardboard.

Gas tank is in and the Jeep sorta runs.....

I'm having a hard time finding the right fuel mixture for this carb. I can get it to idle while the choke is closed, but if I open the choke, it stalls. I read an old thread and many people said it needs to be 2 turns out. Is there anything else I could be missing?

I just replaced the PCV valve and grommet, all hoses not being used are sealed, and all other vacuum lines are attached. Suggestions???

was the carb rebuilt? if so are you sure the float has been set properly?. I had to set it a couple of times before I got it right. Hows your fuel filter? Just to give you somewhere to start.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom